MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my search for a F4 SPR failed to turn up any viable candidates, I broadened the net.

My remit was to track down an interesting motorcycle that wouldn't lose value over time and (hopefully) do quite the reverse. Kawasaki Z1's and Honda CBX-6's were on the list as bikes I've owned in the past and am fairly conversant with, but the prices being asked for clean original examples of these machines are sky rocketing at the mo. So I've bagged myself one of these. Its a bike I never owned (first time around as it were) so I'm looking forward to a new experience when it gets delivered back home in a couple of weeks time.

Attachments

·
King of Bling
9,829 Posts

Beautiful bike John... Very nice example and the F model is the nicest versions, great choice ( hope you're going to remove those non-standard decals).

I was looking at these model a few months back.. There's a good condition example for sale in Switzerland.. It's on my Ebay watch list.

I used to watch these bikes being raced at Brands Hatch back in the good old days of the Transatlantic Races.. Them were the days..

Well done mate and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It comes with the original exhausts John, so I'll take the Lazers off and pop those back on. I'd like to get a stock screen for it too, the Black one looks OK, but I'd like to get it back to as original as possible. Its been virtually a one keeper bike from new, sadly the original owner passed away so it was being sold by a family friend. I looked at the one in Switzerland too mate but its got 3 times the recorded mileage of this one.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Very cool. I was looking at one of them as a major project bike very recently. But i have a real soft spot for the GSXR 750 Slingshot andZXR 750 93-95 models

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
John

You've got an amazing example there.. Reference the OEM screen, try David Silver spares, as he's the UK's Honda spares guru.

I've checked out their website, perhaps unsuprisingly they don't have too many items for the VF1000R. The screen is a discontinued part apparently but the very helpful chap at Silvers said they hope to have some replica pattern parts in stock soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That is one of the few bikes that got me excited when I first saw it. It was displayed on a Honda Stand at the Gp.
I had a CX 1000 at the time. Took me a couple of years but finally got one. Part ex for the CBX at Cusworth's in Doncaster
Lot of trick bits on it magnesium engine covers etc. They are not a bland bike

·
Registered
33 Posts
BEAUTIFUL BIKE. I love the European paint scheme. I had a 1986 VF1000R for a long time. I loved that bike. First full fairing production motorcycle in the USA. 606# dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I put the VF on ebay for a few weeks in early Spring, but although I did get some interest there were no takers, so as the weather here is warming up nicely I thought what the hell, I'll ride it myself.

The tyres had gone hard and were the wrong sizes, so were junked for new ones and the brakes were very poor. I thought perhaps I'd been spoilt with the radial Brembos on my modern Aprilia, but after changing the fluid and the pads, the stoppers on the big Honda are much improved. Performance wise, the old girl really picks up her skirts and shoots forwards when you give it the beans and it handles pretty well too, considering it still had the original rear shocker, but you are always aware its a heavy old beastie of a bike. I had a stroke of luck when the previous owner contacted me and said he'd found the original fairing screen tucked away in the back of his garage and he very decently sent it over from Ireland so I sent him back a few quid as Guinness money. Thanks David!

I've kept the aftermarket screen on for now as it does give more wind protection than the original. All in all I'm quite pleased with it although the prone riding position reminds me of why I parted with my F4, :crying:short trips between long stops for coffee and cake will be the order of the day then. :wink2:

Attachments

Reactions: JDS

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hey John! No secret I'm a Honda lover (totally separate and different from my love of MV - think polygamy and having cake and eat it too!!

That is a great example of the VFR and I'm sad I missed it on eBay. Could have done a double deal as I was up 'your way' just yesterday (Heckmondwike near Dewsbury) to collect a 1988 C90 I scored on eBay!

I had a new VFR750 in 1984 and had set my sights on the 1000, but alas, the often 'evil' forces of marriage dominated my wallet!! If/when you get the urge/desire to sell again, please consider PMing me. I might be a candidate pending finances.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM'd you Nigel. :smile2:

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I managed to get out for an hour or so this morning as the weather seems to be picking up. :smoking:

Attachments

Reactions: nigelrb and gotfolk

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I managed to get out for an hour or so this morning as the weather seems to be picking up. :smoking:
Hey, be careful with MY bike!!:grin2:

And with a kerb weight of 224lbs, I don't think you'll be filling it to the brim!!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha ha, Yes I forgot to mention there's a good 3/4 of a tank of fuel to sweeten the deal Nigel.

I do hope to get out on two wheels this coming sunny weekend John (JDS), but it won't be on the VF as it's tenure at Eastwood towers is coming to an end and it will shortly be heading to Casa Nigel. It didn't occur to me that my first real ride of any length on the Honda would also be my last, but just like my old F4, I think I've finally got to admit to myself that my days of riding sports bikes with their prone riding positions are over. I've been pondering over what to replace the Viffer with and the jury is still out on that one, but one potential candidate could be a Brutale, mebbe an older 910R??? Anyone here got one for sale?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Truly hope you find suitable wheels, John. A man can't be 'bikeless' over summer!
Even if I don't find something to replace the VF with straight away I do have the 'priller to chug around on.

Its crazy really isn't it? I say chug around on, but it's a 125 bhp liquid cooled V twin capable of 150 mph. It just shows how things have moved on over the years. 200 bhp is becoming commonplace for road going sports bikes now. My venerable old CBX was the most powerful road bike in the late 70's with barely half that output and the VF was billed as the worlds fastest production bike for a brief period when they were released. Now a half decent 600 will top 150 mph. Pass me that zimmer frame. Lol :wink2:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Damn! I can see the retirement fund taking another hit here.>:)

Fancy finding a good Honda on an MV Forum!
Well guys. Deal's done.

Quite a funny turn of events. John offers a casual post about warm weather and riding a bike he's hardly ridden, and then 2 days later the damn thing's sold.>:)

Great guy to deal with and the 'Silly old Sod' tag is really a misnomer. Cheers John!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts