MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened. The first time in 40 years of riding on the street. I fell off my beautiful 312. As everyone always says, it happened so fast.... you know the rest.
It had been raining for 5 days and the sun finally came out. I followed a neighbor out of our gated community as she yacked on her cell phone. We got to the intersection that was only 300 yards from my house. I was behind her at a red light and she just sat there talking on the phone. There was no traffic and it was a right turn onto a 4 lane street. After the light turned green, she still sat there talking. I pulled around her to turn to the right, which was a legal lane to turn right in. The street was dry and the sun was very bright. I was turning into the sun. As I made the turn, the rear tire shot out from under me. I naturally tried to correct, but the bike suddenly stood up and launched me over the bars. As I laid face down on the pavement, I tried to move, but my left leg was not wanting to go along. The nieghbor lady stopped to help as did many other nieghbors. (Of my nieghbors that stopped, one is the Chief of Police and another is a U.S. Congressman. I do thank them for helping, but now everyone knows I'm a Squid.) The lady on the phone kept my helmet and jacket while I took a ride in the meat wagon. She brought them by the house last night and told me what really happened. It seems as went across the painted crosswalk (did I mention I have taken this turn a thousand times much faster then this day) my rear tire lost traction and then hit the unpainted pavement. Which is when I went flying. Even though the pavement "looked" dry, the painted part was damp because it was cold out.
My Father in Law worked for the state highway department for 39 years, said the problem was also made worse by the fact that the state puts grit in their paint, but the county does not. They save money that way. Obviously, I hit a county maintained crosswalk.
There must be a leason in this story, and there is. I never should have pulled out to pass the lady that was sitting at a green light. She could have just as easiely turned into the lane I was turning in. We all see people that turn onto a four lane road and go right into the fast lane where I was. Instead of a broken leg, I could have been hit by a car. The fall on the damp crosswalk was one of those things that happens no matter how careful you are. I was stupid to pull out and around her.
I hope someone else can learn something from my misfortune. And now, it's off to the MV parts department. :violin:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall, Tuna. Thanks for another reminder to watch out for the things we take for granted or sometimes forget. Hope you mend quickly.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Tuna, sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear you are alright. If I can help in anyway let me know.

Where are you in Sac?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Sorry to hear about Your misfortune. I hope You are okay !? I don't wonna know how Your pretty Bike is looking like. But this can be repaired. And thanks for reminding us at paint and bitumous street art.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Get well soon. Good thoughts on prevention too. So easy to be impatient. Glad you are ok

·
Registered
762 Posts
Damn sorry to hear that my friend, and after 40 years too. I guess its hard to keep up with the numbers, but in this case, I hope this fall buys you another 40 years of safe and smart riding. Get well soon!

PS - that gorgeous 312 has now definitely become a "special bike" to you! ... a bike to call "your own" as you both lost your virginity together :devil:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Ouch a broken leg from a slow highside...that is unlucky, though that really was some squid like work there :stickpoke ,

See if you hadn't fixed the overheating issue you could have said it was cooking and just couldn't wait and really had to get moving :naughty: as anyone that has suffered with the high temps knows it can cause temporary lack of judgement and is an acceptable excuse for a squid like error...yours um :stickpoke j/k...I kid because I care, glad to hear that it was not worse.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Man, oh man!!!!

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, Tuna! That really SUCKS! Hope you're quick on the mend! Really gives pause for the ordinary out to get you.

Respect!
Jason

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. When I had SuperCorsa, I notice I tend to slip a little on painted intersections when it's cold out - even with it's bone dry. I don't get that now on the the Michelins.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I, too, am sorry to hear about your mishap. The good news is that you are able to tell us about it!

Mend well, Tuna.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
That's unfortunate... Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Really sorry to hear that! Its a great shame the driver in front was not driving instead of talking on her mobile. Road paint is terrible, its slippery and I have seen many accidents involving the tyres loosing road grip. One of the worst cases was motorcyclist overtaking a HGV vehicle and on the overtake crossed solid white lines, somehow the bikes tyres slipped and the rider went under the Heavy Goods Vehicle.

Thank god your OK, as I always say, bikes,cars can be replaced, you can't!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tuna, sorry to hear your tale, hopefully the leg break resolves without difficulty - insurance will look after the bike. I highsided a Ducati SS750 at low speed on a roundabout suffering a pugilist broken fist on landing. I understand how surprised you will have been at the ferocity of such low speed incidents.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you for sharing the lesson learned. That's a great reminder for us all to think about when we ride this winter. I always cringe when I hear about an MV going down. Like nicensleazy said, the parts are replaceable and you are not. I am glad to hear that you are alive and well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wouldn't call that a squid mistake. That's just being caught out. Like you said, you went through there a thousand times before.

This could happen to any of us probably.

So, you're not a squid. You're a Tuna. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tuna. But glad that your ok...

Happens to the best of us. Just move foward and don't worry what could of happened.

Rick

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Tuna said:
Well, it happened. The first time in 40 years of riding on the street. I fell off my beautiful 312. As everyone always says, it happened so fast.... you know the rest.
It had been raining for 5 days and the sun finally came out. I followed a neighbor out of our gated community as she yacked on her cell phone. We got to the intersection that was only 300 yards from my house. I was behind her at a red light and she just sat there talking on the phone. There was no traffic and it was a right turn onto a 4 lane street. After the light turned green, she still sat there talking. I pulled around her to turn to the right, which was a legal lane to turn right in. The street was dry and the sun was very bright. I was turning into the sun. As I made the turn, the rear tire shot out from under me. I naturally tried to correct, but the bike suddenly stood up and launched me over the bars. As I laid face down on the pavement, I tried to move, but my left leg was not wanting to go along. The nieghbor lady stopped to help as did many other nieghbors. (Of my nieghbors that stopped, one is the Chief of Police and another is a U.S. Congressman. I do thank them for helping, but now everyone knows I'm a Squid.) The lady on the phone kept my helmet and jacket while I took a ride in the meat wagon. She brought them by the house last night and told me what really happened. It seems as went across the painted crosswalk (did I mention I have taken this turn a thousand times much faster then this day) my rear tire lost traction and then hit the unpainted pavement. Which is when I went flying. Even though the pavement "looked" dry, the painted part was damp because it was cold out.
My Father in Law worked for the state highway department for 39 years, said the problem was also made worse by the fact that the state puts grit in their paint, but the county does not. They save money that way. Obviously, I hit a county maintained crosswalk.
There must be a leason in this story, and there is. I never should have pulled out to pass the lady that was sitting at a green light. She could have just as easiely turned into the lane I was turning in. We all see people that turn onto a four lane road and go right into the fast lane where I was. Instead of a broken leg, I could have been hit by a car. The fall on the damp crosswalk was one of those things that happens no matter how careful you are. I was stupid to pull out and around her.
I hope someone else can learn something from my misfortune. And now, it's off to the MV parts department. :violin:
I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Tuna. Many thanks for the reminder of how easy it is, and at such a slow speed to break a bone. :crazyeyes Hope you get well quickly. The other amazing fact, and it is a fact, will be how much it will cost to repair a MV after a small get off. Have a great New Year and who known's you could be riding round on a new F4RR 312 next year :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts