MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got up the muster to drive seven hours one way to pick up the '08 910R that I found on craigslist in Phoenix Arizona, must say that the drive was appropriately brutal to pick up the Brutale...but it is already a distant memory. The bike surpasses my expectations, took it for my first real ride on one, other than a short test ride and WOW what a bike!

Couple of pics attached next to my blk/wht M3, seems like I must be monochromatic these days. Anyway, headed to the rock store tomorrow in Malibu for more seat time. All I can say is I have a really big grin going on right now :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Good looking bike....congratulations.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Glad you took my advice!!

Now the mods can start. You think the bike is awesome now....
Wait until you put on an exhaust, ECU, and airfilter, it'll run like a raped ape on steroids!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Already in the works! Just need to decide which exhaust is best...BTW the reflectors already fell off

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Glad you took my advice!!

Now the mods can start. You think the bike is awesome now....
Wait until you put on an exhaust, ECU, and airfilter, it'll run like a raped ape on steroids!!!
Can you explain this a bit ?
I bought one yesterday , a 910 R from 2008 with 3 k on.
With ecu you mean change chip or install PC ?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You need to change the ECU. When you get the peformance ECU. A PowerCommander will do nothing for you unless you have a performance ECU (from MV Agusta or Chris X-81 or re-mapped ECU from Ferracci).
The stock ECU uses O2 sensor which makes it a closed loop system, meaning the O2 sensor regulates the fuel mixture to run at a lean, emissions legal mixture. The O2 sensor would overwrite the PC and drop the fuel mixture down to a lean condition.
Stock bikes are not tuned for best performance but they are tuned to meet emissions regulations.

Only when you get a performance ECU which eliminates the O2 sensor, then you have an open loop system which allows for tuning of the fuel mixture and you could use a PC with it. However, with a well tuned ECU there is no need for a PC.
Also with the performance ECU your fuel mixture is richer. You not only get more performance from the engine but the throttle response gets much smoother. The abrupt throttle response of the stock bike is mostly due to the lean running condition.

On my 910R I do not run a PC. I had the stock ECU re-mapped by Ferracci mostly because a performance ECU from MV was not available at that time and I did not know of Chris at X-81. My bike runs incredibly strong and my 139hp 910R pulls just as strong as as similarly set up 155hp Ducati Streetfighter.
I would still like to give Chris' (X-81) ECU a try as everyone raves about his work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just sent Chris an email about the ECU...would you go with the the stainless kit from MVA for 2006, complete 3 part exhaust: headers, mid pipe, and slip ons. Or an Arrow Thunder? I live in a rural area, so not too much concern about my neighbors...but the MVA kit seems like a good choice.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
@crash2much

Thx for info mate , when i pick up the bike this week i,ll asks the guys there about the Ecu.I bought the bike from the biggest Mv dealer in Belgium with a 1 y warranty and there really Mv lovers.(read sweet ppl)
I really like going there.They also gone install a pc3 i bought from a forum member on my F4 Evo 2 :drummer:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This is only MY opinion......

I don't like the look of the Arrow shorty Thunderbomb whatever it's called. Makes it too hot-rodish for my taste, but that's just me.
Also we installed a few of them for customers and they are seriously loud. I like a healthy sounding bike like anyone but that Arrow is a bit much. One custommer actually had us take it off again and install another exhaust.

Which exhaust to go with is kind of up to you and what you want to spend.
I am a sucker for Titanium. Nothing like some nicely blued titanium exhaust with beautiful welds - ahhh - a man's jewelry!! Of corse the Moto Corse from Japan is THE nicest but also very pricey. Ther are other Ti systems that are nice and a little less but still not in-expensive. Stainless of corse is more reasonably priced and works just as well. Probably a negligible performance difference between the available exhausts out there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would agree that the Thunderbomb is a bit over the top..Steve dropped by recently with his 1078 (with the TB) and when he left you could still hear him about three miles away :) Hard for me to justify $4k for a Ti exhaust though, isn't that about what they go for these days?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
@crash2much

Thx for info mate , when i pick up the bike this week i,ll asks the guys there about the Ecu.I bought the bike from the biggest Mv dealer in Belgium with a 1 y warranty and there really Mv lovers.(read sweet ppl)
I really like going there.They also gone install a pc3 i bought from a forum member on my F4 Evo 2 :drummer:
I'd try Chris' (X-81) ECU first.
The problem with the PC is that it is tuned on the dyno at stand-still, i.e. the airflow into the airbox is not replicated (unless the dyno center has a way to pressurize the airbox according to wheel speed which most dyno places don't have).
So while a PC may show more hp on the dyno, inthe real world when on the track or street it will run a more lean fuel mixture the faster you go and the more airbox pressure you build up. So a correctly mapped ECU may show less hp on the dyno but will produce more hp in the real world application.
Make sense?

BTW the new PC-V uses O2 sensors and continously alters the fuel mixtures in real time, while riding the bike. Now that is the correct way to do it but they will only make that model PC for new bikes going forward and it won't be available for older model bikes.
Maybe there is a way to retrofit a PC-V for an older model bike. Haven't tried.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts