MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:drummer:hi off to pairs in may, just booked the ferry, first time abroad on a bike, or any transport really:shitfan:, so i need any advice or practical tips for riding abroad, i a complete virgin abroad so any advice is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh thanks for that anything else?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hi Joanne,

First of all, if you have never taken your bike outside of the UK, your first decision will be whether to ride on highways or national roads once you get to France.
Forgetting to stay on the right side of the road very easily happens...so maybe taking the Highway until you reach Paris might be a litte more boring but safer.

On the other hand, if you want to see some French country side, national roads are a must.
Naturally, make sure you carefully plan your trip ahead of time and decide where to stop for fuel, food and noise powdering :)
You can use www.mappy.fr or www.viamichelin.fr for guidance.

-Regarding equipment, get yourself a tankbag like this cool FAMSA one http://www.mvagusta-vesuvio.com/view_product/2249/famsa_emax_sport_mv_agusta_brutale_tanktop_bag_brutale_.html . You won't have to bear the time of your stuff over the shoulders. Make sure you keep your credit card handy to pay for highway tols or fuel (tankbag's side pockets are perfect for that).

-Go for a 2-piece leather suit as it's easier to take off and put back on when needed and DO NOT FORGET A RAIN SUIT unless you're a mermaid.

-Take a tyre repair kit with you just in case and a small chain lube which you will use gently every 750Kms or less if it rains.

-if you're going to be riding during nightime, XENON beams are recommended so cars can really see you coming...especially if you're not used to riding on the other side of the road.

-it is better to select a hotel outside of Paris unless your hotel has an indoor & closed parking

When are you coming ?
We often organize dinners with MV fellows and ride outs and you're more than welcome.

take care and ride safe!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot there's a lot of good advice there. what about km/miles how do i judge my speed, are the fuzz strict over there? have i got to carry all my original documents? I'm excited but nervous if you know what i mean, were traveling on th 8th may till 10th may just a short trip see how we like it, one of my friends is a seasoned traveler but the rest of us, novice, although i did ride a bike in Rhodes for a day, that was weird.(no not a scooter a cruiser can't believe the bloke lent it me.)thanks for your advice, jo:blah:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The Miles to Kms thing is a bit tricky indeed...

The max speed on the highway is usually 130Km/h (82 miles per hour).
On national roads : 90Km/h (55 miles per hour)
Within villages and towns : 50Km/h (30 miles per hour)

Don't bother trying to calculate your speed while you're riding. Simply put 3 different stickers on your odometer and write the equivalent speed in Km/h on each of them next to the respective value in miles. I don't think the MVs odometers can show both miles and kms...

Automatic speed cameras are always annnounced in France 400meters on a large bilboard before you actuallyget to them.
So you really should be looking for trouble if you don't deccelerate before getting to them.
Cop radars are not announced and those are the nasty ones you need to really look out for...

Cops will let you get away with an extra 10Km/h above the speed limit, probably even 15Km/h if you're a girl and play nice.
Needless to say, i've never gotten away without a ticket :-D I'm a blog and i'm naturally tanned. None of these are good assets for negotiating with law inforcement people.

Take all your papers with you. Make sure your insurance covers you for continental Europe (call them and ask!).
Also, you will need an "assistance service" just in case your bike breaks down nowhere nearby a place where you can get some help.

If you guys have some technical trouble with your bikes once you're in Paris. Let me know and we'll help you out with our mechanic.

Voilà Madame.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very funny mycool! thanks for all great advice, hope we don't break down!! whats the right of way on rounder bouts or is there none, I've herd the french car drivers are a bit nuts!:jsm:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
...the bad news Joanne is that, regarding round abouts, i'm still trying to figure out the rules myself... :-D
Basically, if there's no marking on the ground, the vehicle entering the roundabout has priority.
However, 90% of roundabouts in France have groundmarkings.

The problem will be when riding in Paris (city center)....most of round abouts have no markings and you're thus supposed to dive into them with full trust and thrust...
The huge roundabout at the Charles De Gaulle Etoile place at the top of the Champs Elysees is crazy. I usually avoid it !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUyzPg0T_zE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paris

Hi Joanne - soon Joanne of Paris,

living in Paris, that can make a honest guy a jealous guy !
I´m going to Paris sometimes for weekend. You will love it.
To have more fun and less stress in Traffic you need a Navi like TomTom. Be faster than the cars (no problem) and keep distance from Scooters (diificult, they are like angry hornets) and it will work.

Have a good time

Ralf

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was thinking about a sat nav, but roads look pretty straight forward, I've got one for the car, but a bit reluctant to buy one for bike as well. the tom tom is no good for bikes is it? has it gotta be a bike one. scooters are bad everywhere then! they get bikers a bad name.been as it's my first trip abroad i'll see how it go's, if i get the bug might get one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I usually just go a little faster than cars so you are concentrating 100 % for driving and not looking the landscape......more coffee or tea brakes for socializing......:blah:

and like Jay said...dont go even close to "Arc de Triomphe".....if i remember right...eleven incoming roads.:jsm:
Real nightmare

Just have a nice trip:):brutale:

·
Banned
112 Posts
warning:there are many thiefs..in Paris....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts