MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many thanks to Pro Italia. But I think I'm too short for an MV!!!

Well, I have the night to think about it. But I came so close to driving home with an F41000 today. Despite problems with trade-in, financing, and the wife, by 3:00 p.m. we came to a point were the bike was lowered for me and we could start the paper work.

The only problem is the MV was still way too talk. I could not even get the tips of my toes on the ground. Well, barely. It was too the point were I was fighting the Spidi Vertebrae to get flex enough to touch the ground. I think it was obvious to alot of other customers that it wasn't going to work. Samson was also concerned about sending me out. I tried a 1+1 and it was marginally better.

All the service techs, sales and part reps did everything they could to lower the bike. We finally resorted to swaping out the wheel from a 190/70 to a 190/55. It worked barely. With that modification, I can get most of the ball of my left foot on the ground -or I can get both tips on my toes of both feet. So, I need to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger. The big issue is that I'm not sure if I can handle the higher seat high ALL THE TIME. 90% of the time, I'll probably be fine. But if the other 10% is unexcepted (sudden stops on an incline or sudden drop in street level), I'll drop the bike.

Just a little background, I'm 5 feet and 5 inches. I've had two MV (both 750s) in the past. Yes, they were tall but no where near as tall as the 1000. And I was use to work it with only one foot but I had more foot touching the ground. Also, I can get both balls of my foot on the 999 and have much more confidence at slow speeds.

Lastly, there's the issue of my 999. I'd loose too much to trade it in. So, I'd have to sell it for at least $13 or $14 not to take a major hit. Pay off is around $16K. At the end, I decided to just get both bikes. It's a strain on the budget and my wife is not happy about that idea either.

So, I think I may be out. But I'm really greatful to Samson, Bill, and all the service and parts professionals who really, really, really went out of their way to help me with the deal.

I told Samson I'd like the night to think about it but with the financial and physical issues, I think I may be out. I think I can handle the seat height and extra mouth to feed, but I'm certainly not going to be comfortable with it.

Here's a picture of sales, service, and parts guys trying to see if the lower sized tire will work:
 

Attachments

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And for those not vertically chanlleged, mounting and straighting a bike with a seat height that's longer than your inseam is like that old game of trust. Lean back and trust someone will catch you. But here, it's like lift the bike and trust that your foot will touch the ground before the bike does. :)

It's tough to be short. I'm 5'5". My inseam is 30. If I remeber correctly, the 750 was 31.5 inches while the 1000 is 32 inches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spalding12 said:
how tall are you, by the way....
and what is your inseam?

there is NO reason to put BOTH feet on the ground when stopped
i only put my left foot down/and shift my body to the left, leaving my right foot on the rear brake pedal....

at 5'6".... and after 150,000 miles of riding over the years.... i've had to adapt
you can, too
I've adapted too. On the 999, I sit slightly off center to the left. From the MSF classes way back in '87, I've learned to always keep my right foot on the rear brake so that one foot driving is normal for me - a pain in stop go traffic but it's possible.

It's just that first setting on the MV, I would be able to support the bike with one foot just using my toes. Think of a ballerina. With the new tires, I have some ball of my foot touching the ground but it's no wear near as much as my old 750 MV.
 

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I've adapted too. On the 999, I sit slightly off center to the left. From the MSF classes way back in '87, I've learned to always keep my right foot on the rear brake so that one foot driving is normal for me - a pain in stop go traffic but it's possible.

It's just that first setting on the MV, I would be able to support the bike with one foot just using my toes. Think of a ballerina. With the new tires, I have some ball of my foot touching the ground but it's no wear near as much as my old 750 MV.
well, the ONLY thing that matters is how comfortable YOU are on the bike....
if you have no confidence in keeping it upright... you'll most certainly never enjoy riding it

there are many other bikes out there.... don't be discouraged



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spalding12 said:
well, the ONLY thing that matters is how comfortable YOU are on the bike....
if you have no confidence in keeping it upright... you'll most certainly never enjoy riding it

there are many other bikes out there.... don't be discouraged
Greg, you mentioned you were 5' 6" I think that one inch would make the world of difference. I barely make it at 5'5" and 1/2 and inch more would do it for me. Pro Italia and I left of at that gray zone were it's doable...probably. But your right. The height issue would always make me feel uncomfortable if I'm not moving on the freeway. Oh, canyons! If the pavements is slightly sloped, I'm going to have trouble. U turns - forget it. I need to walk the bike around. I can left ball (of foot it) but I'll be struggling if weight shifts to the right.

It's really strange that I'm having problems with the F41000 because I had two 750s before and it wasn't an issue. Argh!! :mad:

And the truth is, there's absolutely nothing wrong my with 999. It's only a year and 5,000 miles old. sigh.
 

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Greg, you mentioned you were 5' 6" I think that one inch would make the world of difference. I barely make it at 5'5" and 1/2 and inch more would do it for me. Pro Italia and I left of at that gray zone were it's doable...probably. But your right. The height issue would always make me feel uncomfortable if I'm not moving on the freeway. Oh, canyons! If the pavements is slightly sloped, I'm going to have trouble. U turns - forget it. I need to walk the bike around. I can left ball (of foot it) but I'll be struggling if weight shifts to the right.

It's really strange that I'm having problems with the F41000 because I had two 750s before and it wasn't an issue. Argh!! :mad:

And the truth is, there's absolutely nothing wrong my with 999. It's only a year and 5,000 miles old. sigh.
don't feel pressure to change bikes...
make the right decision for YOU... that's all that matters



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. This is how close it is. MV's sites say the 750 is 31.1 inches while the 1000 is 31.87 inches. That's a difference of .77.

I jokingly told Bill Nation, "I thought Italians were usually short." :) He said it's a trend.
 

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awiner said:
Allan, it was nice meeting you at Pro Italia today. Hope all works out for the best with your decesion !
Thank. It was nice meeting you too. I was there almost the whole day. But it was nice to hang around there. Like a candy shop. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
Allan; I've read this thread and I realise that it's obviously a personal decision that only you can make. I'm no giant at 5'7" but as you said to Greg, the little extra height seems to make a lot of difference. :cross: I have a friend who rides a Gixxer 750, he's 5'4", he's a good rider, but has difficulties when coming to a stand at junctions etc. I offered to let him ride my bike but he had the same reservations as you. My wife is only 5'1" and has ridden both my old Evo III 750 and my current F4, I don't know how she does it really, but she too said she wasn't comfortable when coming to a stand.

People in general are getting taller as the generations go by. I don't have any figures, but I would say 40 years ago the average height for a man in the UK would have been around 5'8", now it's probably nearer to 5'10" or 5'11". My son who is only 14 is already my height and many of his friends are much taller including a few 6 footers.

I know that doesn't help you much but us vertically challenged buggers do have some advantages; You will have to make an offer for Loris Capirossi's race bike instead. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Why is the 1000 any different to the 750?
Since all the bodywork fits both (right?), then it has to be suspension travel that makes the 1000 taller? Wouldn't that screw up the geometry? I thought the frames, swingarms, etc were the same..?

Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
TheCatWhisperer said:
Why is the 1000 any different to the 750?
Since all the bodywork fits both (right?), then it has to be suspension travel that makes the 1000 taller? Wouldn't that screw up the geometry? I thought the frames, swingarms, etc were the same..?

Si
I know. I was looking at the factory specs and the lenght and even the widith of the 750 and 1000 are the same. It's just the seat height that's different. Bill Nation did say there's a trend in making seat heights taller. And I've noticed that looking at motorcycle magazine test. In the late 90s, I think seat height were in the 30s and 31 inches was max.

Also, I have a Cycleworld issue that's a few months old and in that issue, they compare the liter bikes:

MV Agusta: 33.0 inches!
Honda CBR: 32.1 inches
Ducati 999: 32.2 inches
Yamaha R1: 31.8 inches
Kawasaki ZX10: 31.8 inches
Suski GSXR: 31.7 inches

I've have the 999 and had a R1 prior and the seat's high but it's not enough to make me worry since I can still get both feet (balls of foot) on the ground. On the MV, it's 1/2 a ball on one foot.

As for the Brutale, considering the trade-in or own two bikes issue, I'm having a hard time justifying getting an F4 the much more a Brutale at this point in time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Allan, a 190/50 or 180/55 will be lower again and I'm guessing that if it is so close that this might make the difference.

I take it they fiddled with the suspension as well as the height adjuster.
 

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top