MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought some carbon side covers for the bike. I loosened the wellnut and wouldnt you know it... The front one broke off inside my airbox. They were supposed to be changed after the airbox is taken off...Now, i have to get it out or my motor goes ka1!!!!!! poot!!! Can anyone help me get the airbox off? I will thank the dealer who re-used them 3 weeks ago for my 600mile tuneup!!!! :cussing:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Ah shit, DONT start it :stopp:

You need to take off:
All the fairings, lower/middle and top, with the top one that is held on by a allen screw located in the elec covers, loosen the other two screws in these covers as well.
Take the elec covers off, and the air tubes (small screw at front into headlamp.
Remove the seat and the small side panels.
Remove the tank (drain fuel first-syphon the tank, remove the rear mount, the two angled side one's, lift it up slightly and remove elec plug and the two quick release fuel lines and breather)
Now, next is the airbox, remove the keyguard, both eyebrows, and theres two allen bolts, one each side and hey presto its off :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
You're not by chance in Oregon are you? I had a similar problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bawling:
mikef4uk said:
Ah shit, DONT start it :stopp:

You need to take off:
All the fairings, lower/middle and top, with the top one that is held on by a allen screw located in the elec covers, loosen the other two screws in these covers as well.
Take the elec covers off, and the air tubes (small screw at front into headlamp.
Remove the seat and the small side panels.
Remove the tank (drain fuel first-syphon the tank, remove the rear mount, the two angled side one's, lift it up slightly and remove elec plug and the two quick release fuel lines and breather)
Now, next is the airbox, remove the keyguard, both eyebrows, and theres two allen bolts, one each side and hey presto its off :)
I know not to start it!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: I'm a little confused to getting the airbox off. Do I need to remove the gas tank too? This sucks!!!! No, i'm in chicago... still crying!!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
it's not that bad. just follow the service manual that's on this forum.

section C - bodywork
http://www.mvagusta.net/articles/23

and BE CAREFUL at page 13, where you lift the tank and disconnect the fuel lines. they are brittle and can crack easy. have someone help by lifting the tank just enough so you can get your hands in there to unclip the lines. it helps a lot if the tank is empty. use a siphon.

you'll have those wellnuts out of there in no time!

oh, and i would suggest that you disconnect the battery so that you can't start the bike by accident.

alex

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
altoon said:
it's not that bad. just follow the service manual that's on this forum.

section C - bodywork
http://www.mvagusta.net/articles/23

and BE CAREFUL at page 13, where you lift the tank and disconnect the fuel lines. they are brittle and can crack easy. have someone help by lifting the tank just enough so you can get your hands in there to unclip the lines. it helps a lot if the tank is empty. use a siphon.

you'll have those wellnuts out of there in no time!

oh, and i would suggest that you disconnect the battery so that you can't start the bike by accident.

alex
Good advice on the battery disconnect!!!! I alreadyu hid my key!!!! I will get going tomorrow afternoon...I should take pics and do a write up too!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
there are two wellnuts that hold that cover on. the forward one, is ahead of the filter, and yes the wellnut will NOT reach the intake from that location.

the rear bolt location is behind the filter - it's a straight, and rather short trip to the cylinder! a MAJOR design flaw of this bike, imho.

alex

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
altoon said:
there are two wellnuts that hold that cover on. the forward one, is ahead of the filter, and yes the wellnut will NOT reach the intake from that location.

the rear bolt location is behind the filter - it's a straight, and rather short trip to the cylinder! a MAJOR design flaw of this bike, imho.

alex
Agreed on the design flaw!!!! Thank goodness mine is the front wellnut!!!! yay!!!! I'm still going to take it apart.....no?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My rear one was broken when I removed the tank and airbox, I think the mechanics did it. It makes me wonder how much training they do before they are let loose on the MV. I have caught it a couple of times before it went down to the valves and piston AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I have just put some tape over the holes for now and I will probably use double sided tape on the rear well nuts to hold the cover on!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
NOMOEVO said:
Agreed on the design flaw!!!! Thank goodness mine is the front wellnut!!!! yay!!!! I'm still going to take it apart.....no?

To be fully sure you must do that. It's really not a lot of work...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yeah, not bad at all.

You don't have to remove and disconnect the tank. Loosen it and lift and move it back. The tank holds the airbox in place. When you move the tank back prop it there and then you can work on the air box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Derek,
Good to meet up with you at Laguna. My MV puked out on the last day riding back from the track and has been at the dealer in question ever since. Brian's brand new 1000 has been sitting there since Laguna as well while waiting for a new tank. Bit of a head scratcher.
ddnuts said:
You're not by chance in Oregon are you? I had a similar problem.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
91Aztec said:
Hey Derek,
Good to meet up with you at Laguna. My MV puked out on the last day riding back from the track and has been at the dealer in question ever since. Brian's brand new 1000 has been sitting there since Laguna as well while waiting for a new tank. Bit of a head scratcher.
What happened to it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
mikef4uk said:
What happened to it?
Not sure. Downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and it just died. Checked fuses and everything else I could think of. The guys I was with were up ahead of me so a guy on Aprilia stopped and had a lock, so we locked it to a tree on the side of the freeway and he gave me a ride back to my hotel. Picked it up later with the trailer and dropped it off at the dealer and still have no idea what is wrong with it. Lucky it was the last day. My buddy has a 06 1000 with 800 miles on it. After riding along the coast on Highway 1 on the way down we put them in the trailer for the night and woke up and his fuel tank was squished like a tin can. I guess during service the pressure relief hose was pinched and that night when it cooled down it just sucked the tank in. It was unreal. Both bikes have been sitting at the dealer ever since. Pretty damn frustrating since we don't get much nice riding weather up here.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
whenever i hear of stuff like that, i would always see if it starts in neutral. that sidestand switch can cause such things to happen. whenever it shorts or whatever, if the bike is in anything other than neutral it will shut off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts