MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, thanks to all the forum members for your help. My earlier posts ("AARP Cardholder", "Just took a ride") over the last few days were my first inquiries about the MV Agusta brand. Based on your replies, helpful information and great suggestions, I've progressed from an initial inquiry to a purchase decision in just a few days.

I'll post pictures when I get the bike, likely the middle of next week. In the end my decision incorporated some wonderful information on this site, and a very wise comment by a fellow forum member (thank you CAG), suggesting that in the end he could tell me what the bikes cost, but not what they were worth. That comment clarified things for me.

I'd been concerned that MV Agusta's financial problems may create an avalanche of bikes for sale as owners fear that parts will no longer be available, and the natural result will be declining values and maybe even a total loss of value. I soon realized that even in the very unlikely event that such a thing happens "So What?".

At the current ridiculously low prices these amazing machines are selling at, what does it matter if at sometime in the future they are totally worthless? At/near $8,000 you can buy an immaculate 2006/7 Brutale 910s, and maybe even a R for a few dollars more. So taking the advice from the earlier poster, does it really matter if I pay $7K or $8K for a bike that sold a few years ago for nearly $15K? If it drops by 50% in 3 years, that's a bit over $100/month. What can you buy these days for $100/month that has the performance, looks and quality of an MV Agusta? Having looked at the market carefully, my answer is absolutely nothing!!

A new 600cc bike is $10K or more, before dealer setup fees, transportation, etc. Does that compare to a 910S? Not in my world. OK, so say I'm wrong and the 910 depreciates more that I thought by 50%. That makes my cost $150/month. $5 a day. And that assumes that my $8K bike drops to $2,500 in three years - not very likely. And even if it does, it's costing me a lousy $5 a day.

I think I've been looking at this all wrong, and maybe some others are as well. The question isn't how much lower will prices go, the question is how long will it take for the public to realize that for a bit more than a Big Mac Happy meal a day you could be riding one of the most mind blowing motorcycles ever built!! When people realize that, and then realize that there were less than 1,000 bikes a year TOTAL for US consumption, we may all be surprised to find that used MV inventory becomes harder and harder to find.

So, yes, I overpaid for the bike I bought, maybe even by $1,000. Over three years if the bike drops by half (again not likely) that means I'll pay an extra $0.90 a day in depreciation, less than an entry on the dollar menu at any fast food store. And for that, I'm supposed to not buy one of the best bikes ever made?

Sounds pretty dumb to me too. Thanks again for the help, and I can't wait to get on the bike and ride. Yes, I'm an older gent, and this is quite a change, but I know I won't be getting any younger so why wait. Even if the bike is $3,000 cheaper in a year or so, the issue isn't money - it's time. I don't know how much riding time I have left, why not get on a bike now and enjoy myself?

So, if anyone else is waiting to take the plunge, all I can say is don't let the price of a Happy Meal stop you from enjoying life to the fullest.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
CONGRATS! You`re gona love it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cheers!!!

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Congratulations Lencap....you really will not even think about the $$ after a week :) ...and trying to put a value on the grin factor is impossible....welcome to the family ;-)

...oh, and yes CAG is the MAN !

·
Registered
241 Posts
I took my 910 for a ride today and it is almost life changing in that it is so much much fun that I dont really care about the daily grind so much...what is that worth?

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
I won't tell you what I have spent on my 910R, but I will tell you that I really don't care what it may be worth on the open market.
It is worth what I have spent to me, and that is all that matters. I am happy and have no intentions of selling her.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I hope you have many enjoyable times riding your new bike.:smoking:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Don't feel bad LC. I'm the king of overpaying for toys that depreciate. Join the crowd.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Lencap, welcome to what is arguably one of the most unique communities on this planet...I am serious. After only 4 weeks of owning a 910s, my every day is filled with wonderment..at the performance, exhilaration, attention to detail, and the shit you just cannot put words to, but what makes life 'life' Today, not unlike any other day, an elderly gent walked past me as I was putting my helmet on and asked (in a deep Italian accent) "Is that an Agusta?", me says "yes", he says "I grew up as boy living 3km from the Agusta factory, I used to drive past every day with my Papa, and dream of the Agusta, when I move to Australia, I dream of the Agusta. I saved every penny to go and see Agostini when he rode the Agusta at Oran Park...I cried the day they stopped making them, and cried again when they started making them again..you have a very beautiful bike, enjoy" - you get the point...priceless...ride on!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lencap, Congrats I am sure you are going to love it. And like everyone says" the smile it can put on your face is priceless.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Being an "older gent" as well, and having jus got a track only f4s, booked for my first track day, I am with you all the way.Ageing is a state of mind not a state determined by the calender. Got a Fireblade,Hayabusa, 2 Gsx 750s and cannot bring myself to sell any of them. 2 bikes in the living room of my house strains marital relationships at times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really, really, older gent

Well, I've probably got all of ya'll beat by a bunch of years - I'll hit 72 in a month or so. I won't admit it (for security purposes LOL) that I rode a 990R today. What I can say is that it is one extraordinary bike. The K1200S I owned couple years back pales in comparison, especially with respect to handling; ditto for the K1300S i rode last weekend. Torque was quite enough on demand to give many opportunities for "pants pissing."

Queston: For those of you who are more experienced than I: am I too old for such a bike (keep in mind I'm in damn good physical condition; have pretty exceptional reaction time, although I admit I don't have all my teeth :laughing:) I don't think so, but, perhaps I'm delusional and don't know it. LOL

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

tony

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You are never too old. The naked phantom has (had) a Tamburini and a 1098 Tri Colore. He is your age.

O.K., it was an F4 and not the mighty Brutale, and we know that real men ride Brutales and go fast wanna be pretty boys ride F4s, but still Lee's 71.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Anthony - you are a legend mate.

Buy the brutale !!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the replies. Anthony, you are certainly not too old. When I bought my Moto Guzzi the owner of the place told me how much he enjoyed the bike. He was 63 and rode like an expert. I was very impressed, but then his father came by, also on a Guzzi. He rode even better, and he was 86. SMOOTH, no flaws in anything he did.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
cute young thing....30 something

Too old? What do all those cute young things hanging around think?
Well, I am disgusted at all this talk about 60+ y.o men outriding me on the brute!!

Maybe we should start a splinter forum for the cute young things??:stickpoke

(you're bloody legends each of you - let's never talk about age, but just our love for getting out on the road and this fine marque)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Lencap, welcome to what is arguably one of the most unique communities on this planet...I am serious. After only 4 weeks of owning a 910s, my every day is filled with wonderment..at the performance, exhilaration, attention to detail, and the shit you just cannot put words to, but what makes life 'life' Today, not unlike any other day, an elderly gent walked past me as I was putting my helmet on and asked (in a deep Italian accent) "Is that an Agusta?", me says "yes", he says "I grew up as boy living 3km from the Agusta factory, I used to drive past every day with my Papa, and dream of the Agusta, when I move to Australia, I dream of the Agusta. I saved every penny to go and see Agostini when he rode the Agusta at Oran Park...I cried the day they stopped making them, and cried again when they started making them again..you have a very beautiful bike, enjoy" - you get the point...priceless...ride on!
Luke - That's a great story.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts