MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, despite my best laid plans to trailer my new Brut to the dealer (about 100mi away) for the break-in service, it fell trough at the last minute, and I was left planning to ride the bike down (already with 900 miles, so no worry of freeway damage), but I would be stuck on foot for the day, in a town I've only been to a few times. So, I finish a quick 150 mile canyon run on Thursday evening, park it in the garge and 'whoosh', gas starts spraying all over my left leg and all over the engine, shock, exhaust, etc. It's 11PM, so I'm thinking I'm screwed--No way I can ride it 100 miles with a fuel leak.
I can't see where its coming from, so I let the bike cool while I check uhaul rates; They want over $200. Crap, I'm beginning to think I'm going to miss my appointment, which means it'll be another couple weeks before I can get it in. So, I check the manual (Thank You Admin!), and start pulling of bodywork. Turning the key, I can hear a spurt when the fuel pump turns on. So I remove the tank, and sure enough, one of the fuel line fittings has cracked, and snaps off completely when I try to remove it.
Now midnight, I'm thinking I'm pretty srewed, and figure it's not even worth considering towing it since the dealer may not even have the part.
:bawling: I went to bed really bummed.
My wife had to leave for work about 6 AM, and I couldn't go back to sleep, the bike was bugging me. I had to wait till 10 to call the dealer, so I went to the computer and I remembered the MV FAQ.
Sure enough, the fittings were a commonn issue (as I suspected, since it seemed stupid to have the made of plastic) and brass replacements were known to be available.
But wait! The second link has a local supplier, not 3 miles from my housse! I call the 800 number to see when they open, which turned out to be in just a few minutes, plus they had only the female part and only ONE in stock.
An hour and a half later I'm on my way to Tuscon with no leak and a new appreciation for all the owners before me and especcially for Alvin and James.

Great job guys!

P.S. Sorry for the long post, it's raining again...

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Great story, glad that everything worked out.

Sounds like it will be something that I will upgrade when I get my Senna, assuming it also has the plastic fittings...

It's a great thing to have this forum and MV FAQ.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
it's great when you have a good viable source of information. we have lost some long threads of data already with greenspun and mvf4 dying. word to the wise...start printing out stuff and keep a notebook of things you may find valuable to you. that way the loss of data is solely up to you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks James!!!

JamesC said:
FAQ, like a forum, is a group effort. You come across something please email it in..or suggest it to be written up.
James - If I ever get to meet you in person, I'm buying you a beer (or three). I had the same problem as Fazer - gas leak. Remembered reading something on MVnet about replacing the crummy plastic fittings with metal aftermarket ones. Voila - your MVFAQs page. I just emailed my shop the link and they're ordering them as we speak.

Thanks so much for taking the time and the effort to post that. What an awesome resource.

And darnit MV, plastic fittings? C'mon......

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ducatis have them too.

They are supposed to not break if the tank is very carefully re-installed and the hoses are laid down JUST right.

I found that my 996 has a lot more room down there for the hoses than the MV. It's much easier on the MV to get it wrong and break one. Not to mention cut one of the green o-rings when pushing the fitting back in. It's kind of hairy, but if you're REALLY careful it will be OK. A little grease on the o-rings is good too.

But I think metal would be a good idea.

·
Registered
668 Posts
acruhl said:
Ducatis have them too.

They are supposed to not break if the tank is very carefully re-installed and the hoses are laid down JUST right.

But I didn't have any leaks and haven't taken the tank off. All of a sudden, I just had a massive leak which tells me that they're just prone to failing after a while. My Brutale has 2700 miles on it and hasn't been ridden that hard.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You guys are making me bug....I just put in the order for a set of the metal connectors from Omega.com

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Guys,

Keep in mind that although cracking plastic fittings is a common cause it's also possible that it's an O ring which fails. Getting the metal fittings is a great preventative measure but make sure you keep the orings greased with a silicone grease each time you disconnect them or you could still see a failure, even with metal in use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts