MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for waterproof,breathable and warm textile pants and jacket for winter.

Really want to avoid looking like michelin man so need thin miracle material that does all of the above.

Who's got what and what's the best?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Doing the same Seaeagle - I'm looking at some Frank Thomas textile kit at the moment....but like you, yes if anyone's got any alternate suggestions I'd be keen to know.

...I wear my TCX X-cube boots (water-proof and good ankle support) in our rapidly approaching winter :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the rev'it cayenne pro jacket in orange and pants in black. It's by far the warmest gear I own when buttoned up and also good with the vents open for hot weather. I've had it out in heavy rain and it does pretty well but will leak through in the pants after a couple hours.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-cayenne-pro-jacket

I also like my Olympia phantom suit a lot (in retina-burning yellow). It's not as warm (with the liner in) as the rev'it but it has a waterproof shell and is a lot easier to wear over clothing. It's definitely better in the rain than the cayenne. It is also fantastic for mild or warm days - with the vents open it's literally like riding in a t-shirt.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/phantom.htm

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Go into a BMW dealership and try the 'Comfort Shell' gear.

I bought the pants and jacket to ride to Phillip Island....from the heat of the desert to the snow on Mt Hotham and three days of consistent heavy rain, I was always comfortable and dry. (and bored waiting while my mates changed in and out of their wet weather gear each time they saw a cloud).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heya Broms, long time :) I'll check it out as well as the Dainese stuff. All the way to the island in comfort! nice. I like the sound of that.

I trust all is well, pity you cant join us on the upcoming muster, would have been good to have you along.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The muster sounds like a blast, I'll be in Bali surfing at that time. But I'm looking forward to a write up from Rennie or Boris.

You need to bring your van with the Wal in the back and do some WA rides......plenty of work for you here too!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked out the Rukka gear...very nice and yes, pretty pricey too. Found alot of the stuff on ebay. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Broms, also took your advice and went to the BMW dealer Frasers, of Sydney . I checked out the beamer

gear but left with Spyke pants and BMW Summer Pro gloves, for winter oddly enough. Both good bits of

kit, waterproof breathable and lightweight. Now for a decent jacket to arrive and some rigorous testing to follow.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beemer gear seems to work well.

I think I also have those gloves. Do they have the 'wiper blade' on the first finger? Very handy in the rain :)
Yeah , they're the ones... i found the wiperblade quite a novelty. A mate had one on his ski glove last season. Cant wait to give it a whirl:laughing:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I bought the Frank Thomas 'raptor' - very very happy with it. $400 kiwi pesos

Toasty warm, dry as a triple martini and enough pockets to keep 007 happy

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I bought the Frank Thomas 'raptor' - very very happy with it. $400 kiwi pesos

Toasty warm, dry as a triple martini and enough pockets to keep 007 happy
:laughing: well described...

ok, brief product review for those following this post.

Went for a 5 hr ride in the rain today to test out some new 'waterproof' gear. I took the ever reliable all weather ZR-7

I had on my: Shoei XR1100 lid
: Spyke Textile "Switch" waterproof" pants
: BMW "Summer Pro" waterproof gloves
: R-Jays Evo-II All season Jacket
: Trusty Alpinestars Gortex touring boots

The breakdown at the end of the ride.

Head and face, dry and warm as expected. It's a Shoei.

Feet, 100% dry and warm. Always AStars.

The pants : Hmmm, after roughly 3 hrs my crotch and jocks
were damp... from the rain. But was fairly isolated if thats a good
thing. That aside the rest of my legs and bum were dry and warm.

The Jacket: The Evo-II performed very well. It kept me warm and dry at 110km ph in the rain, that says alot. On my return i had a very thin strip of moisture down the centre of my t-shirt but was warm enough to not notice it. So all up i'd give it a 7 and a half out of 10.

The Gloves : Honsetly i expected alot better, my hands were pretty wet when i took them off and am seriously questioning their "waterproof" claim. The bloke at Frasers BMW swore by these and my hands ended up like prunes. The gloves were soaked through. BOOOO.

ps. when purchasing the gloves, i picked up some bmw socks too. Fantastic.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The Gloves : Honsetly i expected alot better, my hands were pretty wet when i took them off and am seriously questioning their "waterproof" claim. The bloke at Frasers BMW swore by these and my hands ended up like prunes. The gloves wee soaked through. BOOOO.
I had a similiar experience, but they are a 'summer' glove. Sales person shouldn't have recommended those for winter riding....only good for a sprinkle.

You wouldn't have a wet crotch and jocks with the Comfort Shell pants:stickpoke

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
:laughing: well described...

ok, brief product review for those following this post.

Went for a 5 hr ride in the rain today to test out some new 'waterproof' gear. I took the ever reliable all weather ZR-7

I had on my: Shoei XR1100 lid
: Spyke Textile "Switch" waterproof" pants
: BMW "Summer Pro" waterproof gloves
: R-Jays Evo-II All season Jacket
: Trusty Alpinestars Gortex touring boots

The breakdown at the end of the ride.

Head and face, dry and warm as expected. It's a Shoei.

Feet, 100% dry and warm. Always AStars.

The pants : Hmmm, after roughly 3 hrs my crotch and jocks
were damp... from the rain. But was fairly isolated if thats a good
thing. That aside the rest of my legs and bum were dry and warm.

The Jacket: The Evo-II performed very well. It kept me warm and dry at 110km ph in the rain, that says alot. On my return i had a very thin strip of moisture down the centre of my t-shirt but was warm enough to not notice it. So all up i'd give it a 7 and a half out of 10.

The Gloves : Honsetly i expected alot better, my hands were pretty wet when i took them off and am seriously questioning their "waterproof" claim. The bloke at Frasers BMW swore by these and my hands ended up like prunes. The gloves wee soaked through. BOOOO.

ps. when purchasing the gloves, i picked up some bmw socks too. Fantastic.
Great review mate...and very relevant given our current weather!! Looking forward to seeing your Dainese D System jacket!

There has to be some decent trousers out there too - apparently the Dainese D system pants (which will zip into your jacket) are VERY bomb!! (and they seem a pretty good price!!)

Astars 365 gloves are apparently very awesome too - and I like the fact your hands will not overheat through spring and autumn! - http://www.alpinestars.com/store/productdetails.aspx?productid=352108&cs=1

My projected purchase in the next few weeks;

- Dainese D System Jacket
- Dainese D System pants
- Astars 365 gloves
- boots - unsure??

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've been wearing the BMW Streetguard goretex pants for 3 years in all weathers. Fantastic. They claim to be water repellent...and they are. And they're bearable in summer. As for jackets I have he Dainese continental Evo Gore with detachable lining, arm, shoulder and back armour. Goretex and kevlar. Great and breathable in summer, warm as toast with the lining in winter...and truly waterproof. And it looks like an ordinary town garment.
Only when it's really pissing down hard and I'm on a long trip do I wear a rain jumpsuit on top. It's my second Dainese jacket, the first one lasted 8 years of daily commute + the odd trip. The current one is 3 years old and looks and feels like new. Not cheap upfront, but not expensive in the long run. Never found anything that would match the quality. I tried a Dririder jacket when the first Dainese gave up the ghost but it was simply nowhere near as good. Sold it after 3 weeks and got the new Dainese.

M

1 - 20 of 25 Posts