MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming from a Triumph Street Triple R modified with Dayotona clip-ons and rear sets, so basically an underpowered Daytona.

The first thing I noticed was the seat. I think they just put that thing on there for aesthetic reasons, becuase I'm pretty sure it's even harder than it would be just sitting on the rear sub frame... so the question is are the Corsa seats any softer? Is there a comfort seat available?

Next thing I noticed was how light and quick to steer it is. The Street Triple is a very well sorted bike. Quick steering but solid. My problem is I worry that the F3 is a lot less stable, and I don't have enough experience to know whether that's better in the long run or not. When I got back on my street triple after, it felt SO heavy and slow to steer! Am I just having an issue with this because the F3 is different?

Gearbox seemed very "clunky". Is this normal?

The power is amazing... I don't know how anyone who isn't racing could ever use more power than that bike has!

It really feels like this bike will teach me things I never knew before about how to ride...but I worry it might be too much for me, or even more work than fun to ride. Do you just get totally used to it??

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Spleen, the Corse Seat is the same, just looks nicer. Ive got the Corse seat and have done the squeeze test on both and really cant see any difference. There are products available that will give you a bit more comfort, but you do get used to it, your bum toughens over time!:jsm:

Yes the bike is very light, agile and very quick to steer, however, this doesnt mean its less stable. Far from it, this is a very stable bike and inspires confidence when riding hard. The one addition that i will be making is giving it a steering damper, it does like to shake its head a bit when you ride it harder.

Gearbox, did you use the quickshifter? seriously this is a well sorted quickshifter, almost faultless actually, you can use it at pretty much any speed/revs and it works, just give it a good stab and it will seamless change, and gives you a nice little bang when you do. A new gearbox can feel a bit clunky so it depends how many miles yours had on it. The triumph has a lovely gear box so you are coming from something very smooth, to something which may not be as smooth, but still a very good. i wouldnt worry to much about it.

When i got mine, i had to ride it through the centre of London, and i must admit, it wasnt the most pleasant experience, however, now I am used to it and i find it a very easy bike to ride fast, i think your confidence and skill will only grow with this, as long as your sensible of course.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You get used to the seat - although I've heard a tip is to stick some cycling shorts (with the big padded panty liner) on under your leathers if you're particularly boney.

Agree, the gearbox does get slicker with miles - mine felt a lot better after the run-in service (placebo or real, who knows)

All the other stuff - you get used to in a week.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
spleen, when you're doing 20 minute track sessions or carving up the back roads you'll not notice the discomfort. Droning along on the super slab is not fun but I have done it. I expect that the aftermarket seat manufactures are waiting to see what the demand is like before producing anything. You should contact Sargent and Corbin to see what they might be working on. Or, you could have a gel insert put into your stock seat over the winter.

Anything will seem sluggish, heavy steering after a good romp on an F3. As stated, it really does need a steering damper. As I said before, I'm very happy with my Gubellini.

Once broken in and you're used to the twist and click of the EAS you'll be happy enough with the gear box.

I'm quite happy with the power of my 675 even if it has to work a little harder (spin higher) than an 800 to get it all.

You'll never stop learning. Every bike you ride should teach you something. Just remember what I said in the other thread, take it in increments and build on your experience. If you want to do more track days you can't go wrong with an F3 800. However, if you're concerned that it's too much too soon then keep your Speed Triple. Because you know that if you buy anything else... every time you see an F3 you'll kick yourself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicely said, Stephen. Though how often really do you see one? I've never seen an F3 on the street here in Montreal... But it's true that I'd feel that way every time I even saw one in a magazine or on the net.

To tell you the truth, the seat didn't really bother me in my 1 hour test ride. It just was noticeable in the first few minutes and then I forgot about it completely, except for thinking that a softer seat might be just the thing to take the edge off of the suspension's harshness without having to actually set it softer.

I would say I'm 98% sure. I asked the dealer to put through the paperwork for the financing today, so I should hear back from them tomorrow. Once I'm approved I'm sure it will only be a matter of days before I break down phone them and tell them to prep the bike for me.

Thanks for the answers, everyone, it's a small community, but you guys seem pretty dedicated lol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nicely said, Stephen. Though how often really do you see one? I've never seen an F3 on the street here in Montreal... But it's true that I'd feel that way every time I even saw one in a magazine or on the net.

To tell you the truth, the seat didn't really bother me in my 1 hour test ride. It just was noticeable in the first few minutes and then I forgot about it completely, except for thinking that a softer seat might be just the thing to take the edge off of the suspension's harshness without having to actually set it softer.

I would say I'm 98% sure. I asked the dealer to put through the paperwork for the financing today, so I should hear back from them tomorrow. Once I'm approved I'm sure it will only be a matter of days before I break down phone them and tell them to prep the bike for me.

Thanks for the answers, everyone, it's a small community, but you guys seem pretty dedicated lol.
Congratulations :yo:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I love my F3 800. I've tracked it several times. I thought I needed a steering damper but have found I actually don't. I wouldn't mind one but I've put the bike through its paces at the track and even at Barber coming out of the hairpin and hard on gears 2-4 with the front coming 1-2 feet off the ground it still is very manageable. The seat you will not notice at all and you will be hard pressed to find a faster steering bike due to the reverse spinning engine which cancels out some of the rotational mass of the wheels and rotors.

These bikes are serious contenders on the track even in stock form against liter bikes and track bikes alike.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1405564868.615298.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love my F3 800. I've tracked it several times. I thought I needed a steering damper but have found I actually don't. I wouldn't mind one but I've put the bike through its paces at the track and even at Barber coming out of the hairpin and hard on gears 2-4 with the front coming 1-2 feet off the ground it still is very manageable. The seat you will not notice at all and you will be hard pressed to find a faster steering bike due to the reverse spinning engine which cancels out some of the rotational mass of the wheels and rotors.

These bikes are serious contenders on the track even in stock form against liter bikes and track bikes alike.

View attachment 160778
Great pic :yo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts