MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that summer is coming, what temperature is "normal" in our MV's?
I probably get too worried about this, but when mine reaches 93º-94º (celciors) I think the bike is gonna explote....what do you say?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My fan kicks in at 94c. The other day in central London it got up to 112c and I really started to panic. I was stationary in traffic at the time. It was only 23c ambiant temp at the time.

91c should be ok.

I'm making sure to blow dirt and dust out of the radiator as much as possible, keeps it working efficiently..

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
The temperature spikes rapidly, remember that this is the coolant temperature in the radiator, not the temp. of the motor.

MV's do run hot, I often cut the ignition while stopped and let the fan run.

·
Registered
512 Posts
How do you think I will go in the summer time over here?? I live in a country town where the temperature reaches and stays at between 42-48 degrees celsius all summer. Hot, very :cussing: hot.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow pigiolino!!!...that's a lot. Here in the islands right now is about the same, and mine reaches 92º-94º, and wile driving goes down to even 68º-70º.
It would make think if there is something going wrong with the cooling system.
Maybe it's normal...but mine doesn't go as hot.

·
Registered
312 Posts
my dealer told me this morning everething is fine till 115°, when going to 120° : turn off engine

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine is very temperature agile, driving nice and cool high 80s low 90s as soon as I slow up in traffic or for junctions etc. it goes straight up to 100-105. THe dealer said once "thats running hot" as I arrived after a spirited drive. I take it that it is normal and possibly to do with the positioning. The only worry is that the fan does not seem to come on early enough.

john

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I've thought about the fan issue, and I don't think it's a problem of when it comes on, just that it's simply too small.
When I'm stopped and idling and the temperature spikes (now in this AZ heat, often I get the flashing display), I kill the ignition and let the fan run, but with the motor running, the fan alone has no ability to cool the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree the fan is a bit too small. In Spain (39 - 40+) mine would cool at higher speeds but get to 101 in town (where the fan would cut in) and rise to 104 or 5. My mates z750's were the opposite, in towns they would keep cool but on a motorway they would overheat if we went too fast. Often I was on a main road showing 94 which worried me - but I have to accept if nothing has gone bang, no odd noises and running smoother with improved fuel consumption - all is OK.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here in Texas mine never gets over 207 Deg F in stop and go traffic, but seems to cool off quickly as I quickly head down the road. I think as long as the temp gauge is not blinking hot, you should be OK. I know in Arizona it gets silly hot, especially in Pheonix.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For those turning off their engines in traffic...I think this is probably a bad idea. Not only does it leave you vulnerable to runaway cagers, it stops the coolant from circulating through the radiator so that leaving the fan running does nothing but burn up battery charge. Does this seem wrong to anyone here?

BTW, Flutter also heats very quickly when not moving, but cools just as fast once she's rolling.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
giomanach said:
For those turning off their engines in traffic...I think this is probably a bad idea. Not only does it leave you vulnerable to runaway cagers, it stops the coolant from circulating through the radiator so that leaving the fan running does nothing but burn up battery charge. Does this seem wrong to anyone here?

BTW, Flutter also heats very quickly when not moving, but cools just as fast once she's rolling.
I totally agree.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
giomanach said:

I very conciensous about what is going on behind me and I never turn off the motor unless the car behind me is at a full stop, in fact I don't even put the bike in nuetral until the is a stopped car behid me.
Letting the fan run cools off the coolant in the radiator, and then once underway again, that coolant is recirculated and the bike cools off more quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry here it comes again...

No worries!
It’s probably a temperature sensor malfunction.
Got the temperature just yesterday with a thermometer. It showed 97 oC, while the display was showing 107 oC !!!!.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My fan cuts in at 85 Deg, must be a setting that can be altered????

·
Registered
417 Posts
hi guys got a 910R AND NOTED TODAY AFTER HARD DRIVE THAT WHEN I CAME HOME LEFT TICKING OVER TO SHUT GATES THEN PUSHED BIKE INTO GARAGE RUNNIING IT BLEW ALL THE COOLENT OVER FLOOR
TEMP READ 106

1 - 20 of 57 Posts