MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread which all the members could tell the story of how they were introduced to the MV brand and how they ever ended up buyin or owning there bike. I was actually thinking about my story and thought well this could be an interesting thread

So back in 2004 i owned my first ever motorcycle CBR 600RR. I like most people only ever knew about the jap bikes and ducati. So one night in 2005 there was a night ride where we would get maybe 50-60 bikes riding at night. That night is when i was introduced to MV Agusta. My friend pulls up on a SPR with its matt black paint single side swing arm and those awesome wheels abd all the carbon it was like looking at a lamborghini. Everbody was looking at this bike. So as we where riding my friend pulls up next too me as we were riding abd opens the throttle. The first time i heard the airbox open up and take in the air the sound it made made me envy him. Everything about the bike i just fell in love with i knew i had to have it.

So not long after i was doing a wheelie on my honda and as i came down i hit a pit hole and of course crashed my bike and rode it off. So that week i call up my friend and i tell him i want the SPR. Sell it too me. So he did. After buying my first MV the first week of back cranps and sore wrists was the initation of riding this beauty. The bike than sat in my garage for 4 years as i lived in dubai for that time and only ridden when i came back.

I can proudly say as a MV owner and im not just saying this cause i love the brand and passionate about it but i would never ride anything but a MV now. Everybike i have been on just doesbt feel the same. I rode a GSXR 1000 and thiught i was in a armchair lol.

Now i have started a collection which is slowly growing. A SPR and a CC is a goid start. Now im thinking a classic if i can find one or maybe a newer model.

So thats how moi was introduced to the brand. Would love to hear your story and hope this thread gets some goid attention.

Sam

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Dad was shopping for a bike now that all of the kids were out of the house. He was 52. Shopped around K bikes, etc. I go on a road trip to return to him buying an current model MV F4 750 (2002 at the time). I can see why he had the emotional response, its pretty. Unfortunately its not the right bike for a 50+ guy with an elbow injury. As a result he never rode it.

I wanted a toy and started shopping for a bike. Had dirt bikes but this would be my first street bike. I was looking at what you are supposed to look at, things like the SV650, etc. Joked with him that I would buy it for what was, at the time, the top end of what I had budgeted. He bit and sold it to me.

So two weeks later they were unloading a 10 year old bike with 352 miles on the clock from a trailer into my garage. I gave her a once over, put new tires on it and have done 10,000 since.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Wissam, I don't remember. But I'm having a really nice glass of scotch right now and thinking about how much I like MV's. Does that count? :smoking:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wissam, I don't remember. But I'm having a really nice glass of scotch right now and thinking about how much I like MV's. Does that count? :smoking:
Lol. Of course it counts. Lets see if you remember after the second scotch. And if not lets see how good of a story the scotch can make lol

·
Registered
895 Posts
After working in the bike trade for 20+ years for a few different dealers and wholesalers, having the opportunity to ride many different bikes, and buying a number of used jap bikes over the years, I never thought I would be tempted to buy something brand new.

I remember seeing the first mock-ups of the F3 and drooling over it, then when the actual bike appeared in the magazines I showed it to my wife and told her if I was ever to buy a new bike this would be it. Her reply - "are we going shopping for a bike this weekend?". I was surprised to say the least, then thinking more about it, saw it for what it was - a bribe.

Suzy, my wife, had been making noises about moving house for some time, and knew I was quite happy where we were. Clever woman that she is, she picked the right target. I was on the phone to the dealer the next day for a price, and down there a few days later with a deposit, then a four month wait for my bike to arrive. We moved house about a month ago, so everybody is happy now, especially me.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had only seen one here in Nebraska. An 07 F4 1000 in black and white. An acquaintance had it. Then that winter (december 2010), an ad pops up on C-list. 2002 MV F4 750 needs work $3500. I had more projects lined up already that winter, disassembling a barn, building a loft in my brothers garage etc. than I figured I could handle. So I ignored the ad......for about two weeks.......but it kept popping up in the back of my head. I finally sent the guy an email. It was still available. So I met him and took a look at it. It was dissasembled and spread out all over the floor of this guys two car garage on the Air Force base in Omaha. The story was he had bought it as his first bike (used with 14k miles on it) and proceeded to put 275 miles on it that first year of owning it. Then the next year he got it out in the spring and first ride picked up a nail in the rear tire. He took the wheel off and hauled it in to a shop, but they didn't have that size of tire in stock and it would take a week or so to get it in. So he ordered it. In the meantime he decided maybe he should do a valve check, so he took off all of the body work. Then he decided it would be easier to check the valves if the engine was out of the frame. In the process of working on it he managed to break an injector, and twist off a bolt on the water pump. Then he decided maybe he didn't know what he was doing with the valve check so he hauled the engine into the Omaha Ducati shop and had them fix the broken bolt and check the valves (they came back in spec ironically). So the give him back the engine and he gets as far as hanging in loosely back in the frame and then manages to blow a disk in his back. So the MV sits. Then his wife decides to divorce him, so the MV sits longer, then he decides he's going to get out of the service and the Air Force notifies him he's got to vacate base housing upon his departure. When I got ahold of him he had two weeks to get out and he was down to the point where he was gonna part the bike out on Ebay. I offered him 3k cash he agreed and we swept up all the pieces into piles and shoveled them into ziplock bags and loaded it all into my truck. It's got a ton of replacement carbon fiber and somebody went crazy chroming stuff. I spent that winter putting it back together. (I love jigsaw puzzles) Made a couple of orders through CAG for the injector and a few other bits. It all went back together surprisingly smoothly. And I really love it. I can sit around and stare at it for hours. Plus the sound track when riding it is just the loveliest sound anyone can hear. I finally decided that there was no point leaving it in the garage all winter and made a place for it in the house in the TV room so I can gaze at it during commercial breaks.

First photo is what it looked like when I got it home, all the body work is in the cab. Second photo is it in the house.

Toby

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After working in the bike trade for 20+ years for a few different dealers and wholesalers, having the opportunity to ride many different bikes, and buying a number of used jap bikes over the years, I never thought I would be tempted to buy something brand new.

I remember seeing the first mock-ups of the F3 and drooling over it, then when the actual bike appeared in the magazines I showed it to my wife and told her if I was ever to buy a new bike this would be it. Her reply - "are we going shopping for a bike this weekend?". I was surprised to say the least, then thinking more about it, saw it for what it was - a bribe.

Suzy, my wife, had been making noises about moving house for some time, and knew I was quite happy where we were. Clever woman that she is, she picked the right target. I was on the phone to the dealer the next day for a price, and down there a few days later with a deposit, then a four month wait for my bike to arrive. We moved house about a month ago, so everybody is happy now, especially me.:)
You have one great wife. Now just have to wait until she hits you up on a big purchase lol. Im lucky to have a gf that loves bikes. She actually pushed me into buying the CC probably cause she will ride it lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had only seen one here in Nebraska. An 07 F4 1000 in black and white. An acquaintance had it. Then that winter (december 2010), an ad pops up on C-list. 2002 MV F4 750 needs work $3500. I had more projects lined up already that winter, disassembling a barn, building a loft in my brothers garage etc. than I figured I could handle. So I ignored the ad......for about two weeks.......but it kept popping up in the back of my head. I finally sent the guy an email. It was still available. So I met him and took a look at it. It was dissasembled and spread out all over the floor of this guys two car garage on the Air Force base in Omaha. The story was he had bought it as his first bike (used with 14k miles on it) and proceeded to put 275 miles on it that first year of owning it. Then the next year he got it out in the spring and first ride picked up a nail in the rear tire. He took the wheel off and hauled it in to a shop, but they didn't have that size of tire in stock and it would take a week or so to get it in. So he ordered it. In the meantime he decided maybe he should do a valve check, so he took off all of the body work. Then he decided it would be easier to check the valves if the engine was out of the frame. In the process of working on it he managed to break an injector, and twist off a bolt on the water pump. Then he decided maybe he didn't know what he was doing with the valve check so he hauled the engine into the Omaha Ducati shop and had them fix the broken bolt and check the valves (they came back in spec ironically). So the give him back the engine and he gets as far as hanging in loosely back in the frame and then manages to blow a disk in his back. So the MV sits. Then his wife decides to divorce him, so the MV sits longer, then he decides he's going to get out of the service and the Air Force notifies him he's got to vacate base housing upon his departure. When I got ahold of him he had two weeks to get out and he was down to the point where he was gonna part the bike out on Ebay. I offered him 3k cash he agreed and we swept up all the pieces into piles and shoveled them into ziplock bags and loaded it all into my truck. It's got a ton of replacement carbon fiber and somebody went crazy chroming stuff. I spent that winter putting it back together. (I love jigsaw puzzles) Made a couple of orders through CAG for the injector and a few other bits. It all went back together surprisingly smoothly. And I really love it. I can sit around and stare at it for hours. Plus the sound track when riding it is just the loveliest sound anyone can hear. I finally decided that there was no point leaving it in the garage all winter and made a place for it in the house in the TV room so I can gaze at it during commercial breaks.

First photo is what it looked like when I got it home, all the body work is in the cab. Second photo is it in the house.

Toby
Toby thats one great story and i must say all respect to you for bringing her back to her former glory. It looks the part in your home. Well done mate i guess with all the hard work you put in it gives you more satisfaction

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Toby, I too, really enjoyed your story. Any pics of it going back together?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
2001 i had just bought a brand new cagiva mito for a stupid amount of money and it was always in getting something fixed under warranty. It was a newly appointed dealer who was given the rights to sell and service mv, (sharp performance.. aka melbourne lamborghini) and in the corner of the service department of melbourne lamborghini next to quite a few lambos i see this red and silver mv and i asked massimo the mechanic who worked on my bike "what is that". he said rob my friend that is the most beautiful thing in this garage... and he was right. two years later i owned one. ill never forget that day for the rest of my life.

Reactions: wnehme

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I was 5 or 6 years old back in 2000 my dad bought an F4. I really can't remember anything before that. I used to sit on it most days pretending to ride it, i was convinced it was mine:). Also when I was a little older he used to take me on the back for short rides. :f4:
Nature or nurture? I have no idea, but I do know I grew up along side the F4:)
So 13 years later (2012) I bought my own F4 at 18. .........well what other direction was I going to go:yo:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fell in love with the f4 750 when it was first released, but with a young family it was only ever going to be a dream.
Well now in 2013 the kids are all grown up, the mortgage is some what under control and the b3 800 was everything I had always dreamed of, including the price. Keeping in mind comfort is now a priority.
Now I have turned the dream into reality and could not be happier with my purchase.
:smoking:

·
Registered
87 Posts
At the age of 19, I decided to go to the Motorcycle show in Birmingham for the first time. Jumped on my NC30 in the middle of November in bloody freezing weather, and set off..... after an eventful journey, I arrived cold and very wet, but happy.

I wandered round and came across the MV stand - I knew a little of MV due to their racing history, and had seen the new models in the biking press, but never actually seen one in the flesh before.

I saw the 750 F4 on the stand, and knew that I had to own one some day.

Fast forward 10 years, its 2 months before my 30th birthday, and I'm wandering round the local bike shops looking for a 30th present for myself. The usual jap thou's were on the list and had been test ridden, when I came across a 2001 red and silver F4 sat pride of place in the middle of the showroom.

I fell in love with it immediately, and asked the Finance Director in my life what she thought. 2 weeks later it was in my garage.

That was 2 1/2 years ago, it was the easiest and best decision I've made with regards to bikes.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gents all terrific stories. I wish my father owned a F4 maybe i wiuld have gotten on one sooner. Though now if god gives me a sin i know i will be passing down the MV culture too him

Its great too read how we all come across tnis fantastic machines.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When i was a teenager i had Mv Agusta riders Agostini/ Hailwood poster in my bedroom wall. I never thought i would own one or even for that matter being able to buy one....but the idea never left my mind.
Time did pass very quickly, had some bikes, until one day (Dec2005) i saw one F4 1000s for sale in the for sale mag. i called the dealer, he immediatly brought the bike for me to see....i remember pleeing to him to not put the bike running, he did.....i could not resist. Traded the Honda CBR 600 and Virago 535 and got my first Mv, and i was complete.
Almost two years later, i saw a new ad. selling an Mv Agusta Veltro Strada, but unfortunatly i was 2 days late to buy it (old storie) and it was shipped to U.K.
The dealer at the time was the Mv importer/dealer in PT. informed me of an limited model "Corse" from the R312 that would be released in August 2007, i looked at the pictures and liked it.
That year i sold a watch PAtek Philippe Ltd. version and thought i could throw in, in the bike purchase some watches too, 1 Breitling/1 Seiko Sportura Ltd. Jensen Button.
But instead of just the Mv i bought a Suzuki VZR 1800.......(go figure....)
The bike (Mv) arrived in Dec. and was a 1+1 full options Ti. Cf. model.

I have it still, remembering how lucky i am.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Toby, I too, really enjoyed your story. Any pics of it going back together?
As requested Randy, here's a couple more photos of the reassembly of my MV.

First photo is it up on the lift right after I got it home. Ya, my garage is small and messy. Someday I'll have a proper work space. (it will probably still be messy). Notice the rear tire is on backwards. If you recall the earlier story, this all started with the previous owner running over a nail and needing a new rear tire. Yep that's right the shop he took it to put it on backwards. Blind leading the blind thing I guess.

Second photo is cataloging parts. I had a copy of the Parts Manual and I spent the first week going through all the pieces I had and figuring out where everything went. Figuring out which bolts and nuts went with what and bagging and labeling everything. (had to buy a few bolts of course). Even made an additional trip back to the Air Force base in Omaha to make another pass through the previous owners garage searching for some of the little things that were missing. Even with that not everything was found. I hand made the brace that goes behind the radiators. Took two tries before I got it to hold the radiators in the right place.

Third picture is after the exhaust was fitted, still had a lot of wiring to clean up at this point.

Fourth pic is first ride. Nice cool Sunday morning, about 50°. I live in the country my driveway connects to a paved county road. So a few slightly illegal runs were made up and down the road, as I was making sure that everything was working correctly.

Last photo is after it was all back together.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well my MV Agusta story started any when with seeing in 1997 or 1998 the first photos of the F4 Oro in magazins.
I rode a Harley for many years and had a Honda 250 Hurricane in Vietnam. And I thought it could be something sportier again.
Something cheaper insurance wise and not too expensive.
So I found out that the Bimota Supermono was sold at dealers for half the price it was originally offered.
So this was the intro of mine to the Italian bikes and I loved that little thing.
But it made me looking for something faster in addition.
I narrowed my choices down to the 996, SB8 and the F4.
After disappointing visits to Ducati and Bimota dealers, they had nothing to test ride and not even brochures, I thought I bit the bullet and go for an F4.
But who is the importer for MV Agusta in Germany 1999 ?
So I called a motorcycle magazine and they gave me the phone number of the importer.
The Lady there told me that they have only a picture of the F4 Strada in a brochure, which they would love to send me, including a possible future dealer list.
A few days later the letter arrived and I called the closest dealer, roughly 100 miles away. I started the conversation with “ I heard from the importer that he is a future mV Agusta dealer” and he relied “Well You know more than I”.
So I asked him if I could order a F4 at his shop and he said “Yes come by and we will make a contract”
Well I jumped on my Bimota and flew to Freital. We made the contract and I asked him even to accept a deposit in order to make sure that I really get a F4.
So he accepted me paying a 10% deposit that day.
Three month later, the first week of January 2000, I got his call and he said my bike is in his shop.
Being on a construction site on the side of Germany I drove to him on Saturday to see my F4, the first F4 I had ever seen.
Believe guys I sat more than three hours in his shop. Partly on the floor, on the bike and so on. I was simply stunned by the shear beauty of the F4 and I fell in eternal love with it.
Now the F4 is not just a motorcycle art it is a breath taking performer in every way. Having my second F4S now in the US I will never part with it so god will.
On another side I think the MV was the best choice I ever made.
I met the MV Agusta Club and found there fantastic members and friends. I learned everything about the amazing history, saw the whole spectrum of MV vintage bikes and the glorious grand prix machines, met the likes of Agostini, Ubbiali, Massetti, Taveri, Bonera, Read, Magni, Castelli, Claudio & Giovanni Castiglioni, …
The Club turn my focus also on the vintage bikes.
Being on projects in Italy in MV Agusta country, close to the Alps, I bought a 350B there. Made tours trough the mountains and had a fair share of troubles.
With this machine I found even the love for going on race tracks. Were the highlights are for sure my rides at Spa during the Bikers Classics.
Now I’m on track days with my 350 Corsa which I bought two Years ago in France.
Lastly I joined in 2006 mvagusta.net and found here awesome peoples as well.
So is there anything better in live than owning a MV Agusta ?
Not for me.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Love the stories gents! Nice thread!!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Great shots Toby......do yourself a favor and create a nice photo album now that you can enjoy when you're my age.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts