MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I'm still having problems with the 1090RR stalling when I clutch in from high revs (usually just as I'm about to drop it down to third when I'm barreling into a sharp left or right hand bend) its also now being a bitch to start. A couple of threads report that the only fix is a replacement ECU.
Problem is I've got the full MVCorse stubby exhaust system and race ecu fitted so I dont think MV are going to cover a replacement race ecu under warranty and in any case they will send the standard ecu and I already have one of those in the garage.

I hear talk about power commanders and microtech but dont really understand what they do. Can someone explain and point me in the right direction.

Cheers guys.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Try resetting the TPS first!!!! Throttle body synch and correct idle speed, too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
cant you just pop the oe ecu back on for now to eliminate that as a problem.if you look at the power runs from my bike it actually run better with the oe ecu.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi guys
I
Problem is I've got the full MVCorse stubby exhaust system and race ecu fitted so I dont think MV are going to cover a replacement race ecu under warranty and in any case they will send the standard ecu and I already have one of those in the garage.

Cheers guys.
If the parts are dealer fitted then surely they have an obligation to look into it? You could try the standard ECU to see if it improves the starting but the bike will probably run weak when been revved so not really recommended unless you put the stock exhaust back on however at least by doing this you may or may not eliminate the race ecu as the issue.

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
My F4 was stalling like yours and I have the race ECU,it was running too rich and was easily adjusted at the dealer and I fitted Iridium spark plugs and now it never stalls,hope this helps you.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Yes...forgot that part....set idle CO trim along with TPS, synch and idle speed. Simple quick stuff if you have the tools.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cant you just pop the oe ecu back on for now to eliminate that as a problem.if you look at the power runs from my bike it actually run better with the oe ecu.
Glad to hear from you R25sti as I've been reading your post re power commander.
Did you keep the original ecu on when you fitted the race can? and is the power commander now suitable for the new 1090.

Bikes currently sat in Bennetts showroom in Barnsley so if you want to nip in Billywhizzz and sort her out for me it'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...forgot that part....set idle CO trim along with TPS, synch and idle speed. Simple quick stuff if you have the tools.
Cheers for this I will get that checked first and let you know if it sorts the problem.

I think I've gone about it all arse about face, so far I've changed the plugs for iridium, put a new battery on, changed the air filter for a BMC version and had it set up on the dyno. When the bikes warmed up and running its as sweet as showing 145BHP at the rear wheel. but none of this has sorted out the poor starting and stalling issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Glad to hear from you R25sti as I've been reading your post re power commander.
Did you keep the original ecu on when you fitted the race can? and is the power commander now suitable for the new 1090.

Bikes currently sat in Bennetts showroom in Barnsley so if you want to nip in Billywhizzz and sort her out for me it'd be much appreciated.

hello,at the moment ive got the race ecu on and untill i get a chance to ride it thats how i will keep it,it is looking as if i may have to try a different exhaust system set up to get the dyno run to look right.ive got the race ecu with arrow headers and standard cans.the powercommander 5 for the 1090rr should be avaliable from dynojet within the next few weeks if you read through my last posts dynojet have joined the forum and given contact details if you want to give them a call for the dates.unfortunatly i didnt have a race end can when they did my different power runs and i feel that i need a less restrictive end can for the optimum run but watch this space because if i feel the bike isnt running right then its new system time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess from that it really doesnt matter which ecu is fitted as the power commander will remap the system to match whichever set up youve got.

I put the full titanium mvcorse system on mine and we got the bike up to 145 at the rear wheel after a bit of tweaking I was trying to find a copy of the dyno run to add to your thread but I started to lose heart when the stalling issue returned to the point where I was considering chopping the brute in for a streetfighter. But I'm going to have one last crack at solving this issue.

1. Get the co idle and tps checked for the right set up
2. If that doesnt sort it, put the original ecu back on, fit a power commander and get the bike set up on a dyno.
3. If that doesnt work, put it back to stock set up, get a streetfighter and sell all the bits on here.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
I guess from that it really doesnt matter which ecu is fitted as the power commander will remap the system to match whichever set up youve got.
Power Commander can't overcome the o2 sensor in the Euro3 spec ECUs....the "Kit" ECUs ignore the o2 sensor, so PC will work ok with those.....BUT:

Forget the PC...old technology piggy back signal altering software...get a real programmable ECU....get a MicroTech.

PC is a waste of money.

Just get your Kit ECU set correctly (CO trim, TPS etc)...remember...it's always something simple!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power Commander can't overcome the o2 sensor in the Euro3 spec ECUs....the "Kit" ECUs ignore the o2 sensor, so PC will work ok with those.....BUT:

Forget the PC...old technology piggy back signal altering software...get a real programmable ECU....get a MicroTech.

PC is a waste of money.

Just get your Kit ECU set correctly (CO trim, TPS etc)...remember...it's always something simple!
Cheers mate.
I hope your right because the new maps that have been installed onto the race ecu show the fueling is spot on on a dyno run its just the starting and stalling issue that has really got me nervous when riding the bike hard. You can imagine how much it makes you twitch when the engine cuts out at over 80mph just as your about to lean into a bend.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
trim?

Ed;
i have a VDSTS for the 1.6 ECU, CO trim is done inside the ECU with a plastic screwdriver
for the 5SM ECU is it done with the VDSTS?
how about with the Kit ECU?

i skipped the drama and went with a MicroTec:drummer:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ok,flushman,my mate tonybrutale has the same bike,never stalls with a standard ecu or with a race ecu,
now we have done a decat on his bike with stock cans.the race ecu will disable the lambda sensor this is needed so you can tune the 0 to 20% throttle area ,the pc5 will be available in about 2 weeks maybe ?
what you are experiencing is not normal,we have done no other mods.now you have the stubby exhaust,this i feel is the problem not your ecu as now you have less back pressure and your air fuel mix is out by miles.is your bike backfiring etc ?.if so i feel a microtec will cure the issue from chris at x bike.or just wait for the pc5 and get a dyno tune,stop stuffing around with everything else.what you can do is put your standard cans back on and try that.once you change the standard exhaust on these bikes you are stuffed,only way out is microtec or pc5.
cheers eddy

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok,flushman,my mate tonybrutale has the same bike,never stalls with a standard ecu or with a race ecu,
now we have done a decat on his bike with stock cans.the race ecu will disable the lambda sensor this is needed so you can tune the 0 to 20% throttle area ,the pc5 will be available in about 2 weeks maybe ?
what you are experiencing is not normal,we have done no other mods.now you have the stubby exhaust,this i feel is the problem not your ecu as now you have less back pressure and your air fuel mix is out by miles.is your bike backfiring etc ?.if so i feel a microtec will cure the issue from chris at x bike.or just wait for the pc5 and get a dyno tune,stop stuffing around with everything else.what you can do is put your standard cans back on and try that.once you change the standard exhaust on these bikes you are stuffed,only way out is microtec or pc5.
cheers eddy
hello gentlemen

i would suggest checking the TPS and CO . However once that is sorted there is no doubt you will be far better off by adding a PC5 when it is available . By all accounts shouldn`t be too long .Then you will most definately need a dyno tune .This will sort any stalling , fuelling ,etc . Whilst some may say it is poor technology, it still works.
The other options of aftermarket and programmable ECU , is also a good idea . However you already have paid for a race ecu so unless you want to waste your money , just wait for the PC5 .

i am sure once it`s ftted and dynoed you will be very happy with the outcome . Last weekend i road my mates 1078 with this set up then road an F4 with a micro tech back to back and they were very similar in smoothness with regards to there respective delivery of power and torque .

Don`t get bogged down with to much bullshit and technicalities .

:brutale::f4:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agree with Eddy and Tony.

Although mine is a 990R, I have just installed the MV corse full system and the race ECU ahd a few issues.(comms?) Therefore we put back the original ECU. I had the baffles out and it was backfiring, flames etc. Baffles back in and it runs lovely.

I'm putting it on the dyno next Tuesday for a base run to see whats going on.

I will do another run on the dyno when the race ECU problem is sorted with my dealer/factory.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Ed;
i have a VDSTS for the 1.6 ECU, CO trim is done inside the ECU with a plastic screwdriver
for the 5SM ECU is it done with the VDSTS?
how about with the Kit ECU?

i skipped the drama and went with a MicroTec:drummer:
Yes, the VDST is used to set idle trim on the "Kit" ECU. The stock ECU utilizes the 02 sensor and no adjustment is available. That's part of the reason the PC doesn't work so well on the stock 5SM ECUs (on Ducatis too).

For those not aware....if you install a new ECU (kit or otherwise) it MUST be adjusted for your bike with the VDST....there is no "plug and play".

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes, the VDST is used to set idle trim on the "Kit" ECU. The stock ECU utilizes the 02 sensor and no adjustment is available. That's part of the reason the PC doesn't work so well on the stock 5SM ECUs (on Ducatis too).

For those not aware....if you install a new ECU (kit or otherwise) it MUST be adjusted for your bike with the VDST....there is no "plug and play".
:naughty: For Sale:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?p=503550#post503550

(for the Magneti Marelli IAW 5SM)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Hi guys time for an update.

Decided to get the bike into the dealer for a full service, valve check and reset the TPS, idle speed etc.
Discovered that the the valve clearances were out, the TPS needed adjusting and the cam chain tensioner was fubarred.
The bike was put on diagnostics before they opened her up and they discovered that the bike was running really rich. Hopefully the adjustments that have been made will go some way to curing that but neither I nor the technician are that confident. They are building the bike back up tomorrow so should be able to at least take her on a test ride in the next couple of days. won't know if the fuelling is right until I get her on a dyno and see exactly whats going on but at least I'll know everything else is set up right.
Whist she's in the workshop they are also replacing the headlight and cush rubbers under warranty.

So far under warranty
New cush rubbers
New headlight
New cam chain tensioner
New gear lever spring
Not bad for a 1 year old ten thousand mile £14,000 bike.
And the fueling is still probably way to rich.

Maybe I should have just bought a japanese bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats a big list of not so small warranty issues....fingers crossed they have sorted it for you now.

my warranty list so far after 950miles
Headlight.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts