MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
i just got mine today.. so i'll apply it tomorrow.. i'll let you know. I know Larry has got a lot of experience in this dept.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. Can't wait to hear. Reopropf...I am from outside of Philly...hope to see you buzzing by some day!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have used both the tankslapper, and it worked ok. there are pros and cons to the "vacuum" stick method.... it worked well for a while, but any break from the surface typically at the edge will cause it to come off. It is usually caused by dirt, or washing. I lost one side and ditched the other. I figure if it comes loose at any part, you need to completely remove, clean and reapply.

I found that the other clear stuff with the removable adhesive works well and stays put....I have removed some as well with no paint damage.
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=9%7CMisc%20Parts%3A%20Italian&productID=3175&showDetail=1&categoryID=87|MV%20Agusta%20misc&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=9%7CMisc%20Parts%3A%20Italian

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lewdog. I will play around with both. Just seems like a matter of time before the tank gets messed up without them.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I am also very much interested in this product. So auto trim is full kit and tank slapper is three pieces? Any other difference it looks like a same thing?

I really need it on my both bike I already got very light scruff marks on my Duc's tank from aerostitch.

keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
YES there is one major difference....beside the Invisigard covering more area...

The invisigard system uses a adhesive....you place it with a water/couple drops soap solution in the general area, then lift the edges and spray on a denatured alchohol/water mix, this really activates the adhesive and you squeegee out the excess, then its done....it takes some skill and patience, but you end up with a semi-permanent application. I have removed it with no ill effects.

the Tankslapper (which I have used as well) only covers the tank areas and does not use any adhesive....you place it in the same manner with soap/water spray and squeege out the excess....it uses the static/vacuum principle to adhere.....the product was slightly thicker than invisiguard, and would be great, but the main problem i encountered was at bulges or contour changes. Application of a flat product (although flexible) to a countoured area is difficult and the lack of adhesive allows the edges to come loose....which in turn compromises the seal, and allows the whole piece to eventually work loose.

I have used both and prefer the invisgard....plus you get the addtional front fairing protection.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
lewdog998 said:
yep, thats it.....Invisigard....same kit I use on mine....get it at Motowheels for about 80 bucks.
look under italian parts misc, then MV agusta and you will find it there.
DAMN! I sure got shafted!!! I actually bought mine from their ebay store, it was less than $143.00, but I don't remember it being only $80.00! Screwed again.

The full kit covers tank sides and heel (if you don't already have a factory guard at the heel, if you do, use it on another bike like I did!), mirror fronts, upper/lower headlight pieces (for F4), and leading edge pieces for the lowers, and 2 pieces to cover the front fairing, on either side of the headlight.

Well thought out, IMO, though it could use one more piece to cover the lower part of the inner cowl, just behind the front wheel, but I made one out of clear number plate sticker for that area.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
92 Posts
lewdog998 said:
I have used both the tankslapper, and it worked ok. there are pros and cons to the "vacuum" stick method.... it worked well for a while, but any break from the surface typically at the edge will cause it to come off. It is usually caused by dirt, or washing. I lost one side and ditched the other. I figure if it comes loose at any part, you need to completely remove, clean and reapply.
That was about the same as my experience with it, I had it on my '03 R6. I never had it come all the way off, but found it almost impossible to keep it completely stuck on every edge, it would pull up somewhere. And it didn't curve perfectly with the tank, so had a few small bubbles that wouldn't come out.

But in general it stayed on and protected pretty well for the price, and not being permanant was a plus for me. I was worried that the ones with adhesive wouldn't come off without causing some problems if I didn't want it anymore.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Randy said:
Has anyone tried InvisiGARD on a matte black surface? Does it appear glossy? Their site's FAQ doesn't mention this.
Yes, I thought about putting some on my Brutale, so I tried a test piece I had from a car application. It does not look good. I did however place some on my tail piece, which is plastic, not painted, and it works ok, but I only put it there because my tail bag was scuffing the piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts