MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is tank slap caused by temperature?

The other night, I left the Brutale outside over night. It got down into the 20's F here. I rode the bike to an appointment the next morning and the temp was still in the low 40's. My road is real rough for the first mile until I reach the highway. For the first time ever, my bars were going wild as I drove towards the highway. This has never happened before.
I figure maybe the fluid in the front forks was still cold and possibly thick.

Today it's 50 F outside and a quick ride didn't produce any handle bar fight.
Are these bikes made for only warmer weather?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get a damper........

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Philly said:
Get a damper........
Hmm...Kinda a generinc 'bandaid' isn't it?

We haven't even diagnosed the issue. Certainly the Brutale isn't lacking a damper due to cost-cutting, but by design.

Also consider that the most vital suspension parts--Your arms and legs--are stiffer and respond more slowly when cold, and MV's are very precisely responsive machines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having lost a high speed tank slapper battle on a Kawi many years ago, I am especially sensitive to the issue. It took me twenty some odd years to get back in the saddle and chose a BMW, in part for it's longer wheelbase. Then along came my love affair with this short legged Italian.

My research on the issue never seems to reveal anything conclusive on what can initiate wooble....it can literally be caused by any number or combination of factors...tires, wind, shocks, wheel balance, wheel bearings, frame flex, road surface ... you name it. As one BMW sage stated...when the Donkey starts shaking her head at you, she is trying to tell you something, so back off.

The previous owner of my Brute said it was the most stable bike he had ever owned. However, I couldn't get past the fact that she is wickedly flickable which somehow translated to me (rightly or wrongly) that it was a bit less stable than the Beamer so I opted for the damper. Piece of mind may be all that it gained for me but that is just me.

Thus far I have experienced head shake on only one of the bikes and that was on a very bumpy section of North Shore Dr. at Lake Mead while on the BMW....go figure.

Brock

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
As stated by fazer6 I have to agree it is a combo of cold tires, and awkward body tension from the cold. I ride in the cold a lot and I ride her like a scooter when the temps drop below 40f. The tires are worthless in these temps. Go easy and get used to the cold!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CHB said:
As stated by fazer6 I have to agree it is a combo of cold tires, and awkward body tension from the cold. I ride in the cold a lot and I ride her like a scooter when the temps drop below 40f. The tires are worthless in these temps. Go easy and get used to the cold!
The shake has never happened to me before, but usually the Brute is kept under cover indoors. That night it sat outside, so I think the fluids were cold in the shock and forks, and like fazer6 mentioned the tires were cold. I can't wait for the Pirelli's to wear out so I can replace them. I'd love to get a damper, but so far I haven't needed one and I don't fix what ain't broke if it costs more than a hundred bucks........... I'm cheap.

As for getting used to the cold? Not a problem for me, I ride almost all year round to work. Tonight coming home it was 36 degrees, I don't feel it much, I'm diabetic and have a great tolerance, or maybe lack of feeling is a better term,for pain or cold. Only discomfort I get from riding my Brutale, is when I get home and I have to park it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
CAG said:
Wasn't tirebiter the name of a band?

Welcome to the Forum, sorry for the thread jack.

CAG
Thanks .... the name comes from a character created by the 1970's comedy troupe..Firesign Theatre...although the original Tirebiter was an early USC mascot.

http://www.tirebiter.com/

And at the very bottom of the web page, it seems there was indeed a rock band called tirebiter.....

Brock

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Krokus_910R said:
The shake has never happened to me before, but usually the Brute is kept under cover indoors. That night it sat outside, so I think the fluids were cold in the shock and forks, and like fazer6 mentioned the tires were cold. I can't wait for the Pirelli's to wear out so I can replace them. I'd love to get a damper, but so far I haven't needed one and I don't fix what ain't broke if it costs more than a hundred bucks........... I'm cheap.

As for getting used to the cold? Not a problem for me, I ride almost all year round to work. Tonight coming home it was 36 degrees, I don't feel it much, I'm diabetic and have a great tolerance, or maybe lack of feeling is a better term,for pain or cold. Only discomfort I get from riding my Brutale, is when I get home and I have to park it.
The tires are about as Worthless As Tits On A Bull!! We have the wrong climate for those worthless rubber bands! Enjoy it since I can't it's been from snow to rain and now back to snow. :f4:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts