MV Agusta Forum banner

Tank range to empty

17K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  MV in NZ 
#1 ·
OK I did a search and can't find any thread on this.

I've refilled 3 times as soon as the fuel light comes on and each time it has taken spot on 12 litres. Magazine tests state the F3 tank holds 16L but my Owners manual states 17 litres?

I now want to find out is the manual accurate in stating you have 4 litres remaining from the warning light. And does the uptake actually let you use those last few drops?

So far running in I got 230km until the light. More recently I get about 200 under harder riding obviously.

So lets hear how far people have gone on a tank and how many litres it's taken from empty
Cheers
Mark

#3 ·
Glad you asked the question, MV. I was paranoid after a hard ride yesterday about mileage and getting to a gas station. So far I have gotten about 40 MPG...is that about 62 km/liter? - not sure if my math is right on that.

I've run to the warning light two times now and went another 10 miles (6.2 km) both times but didn't push it any further than that.

When the warning light comes on, it looks like some "fuel range" display comes up - but I see nothing in the manual about it. Yesterday the number increased as I rode more on the yellow, which confused me.

#4 ·
Glad you asked the question, MV. I was paranoid after a hard ride yesterday about mileage and getting to a gas station. So far I have gotten about 40 MPG...is that about 62 km/liter? - not sure if my math is right on that.

I've run to the warning light two times now and went another 10 miles (6.2 km) both times but didn't push it any further than that.

When the warning light comes on, it looks like some "fuel range" display comes up - but I see nothing in the manual about it. Yesterday the number increased as I rode more on the yellow, which confused me.
Hi MVNoob.
Yes a fuel counter starts when the orange 'low fuel' light comes on and counts up from there. Personally I prefer that. My Tiger and before that my Daytona 675 countered down once the fuel warning kicked in. Triumph's count down to zero estimate was too conservative by about 50km (30 miles). The D675 would go warning at about 220km and I could get another 60km from there = total range of 280km normal road riding, Ok quite fast riding. Track days was a different story of course.

You getting 40pmg (US gallons, not imperial I assume) equals 17 km/litre. I got 19km/l when running in below 6,000 revs but now it's done the 1,000km I got it down to 14 km/l

I hope the F3 will also give me at least 250km (156 miles) a tank as I do regular long trips away over summer and gas stations are few in remote places in New Zealand's deep south.

I'm going to carry a bottle and run it dry I think to find out exactly how much useable fuel there is.

#9 ·
...So far running in I got 230km until the light. More recently I get about 200 under harder riding obviously.

So lets hear how far people have gone on a tank and how many litres it's taken from empty
Cheers
Mark
Holly crap on a cracker, 230 klm’s? The first time I saw my light I’d only gone approximately 170 klm’s. The second time I had tried to be more conservative but traveled only 186 klm’s. I have noticed something though, my bike doesn’t roll down hills. This past weekend I pulled the clutch in at the top of a long, steep hill to see how fast I’d pick up speed but to my amazement I began to slow down, rather quickly too. I tried it several times and each time the same result. Almost as if I was lightly dragging one of the brakes.
It’s hard to tell just by spinning the wheels, the rear has so much drag due to the chain. However, the front doesn’t spin as easily as I’d like. It doesn't appear to be due to brake drag, I don’t think. Maybe it just needs more break in time? I have had to clean up a lot of excess grease from the front bearings. Maybe they over packed mine?

#12 ·
48km after the light comes on seems to be my limit of easy riding. I can not comment on range with the tank full as my riding style uses power consistently.

I have run the bike out of fuel, pushed it 1km to the fuel pump, filled up, turned the key and started the bike finishing my 350km ride with no issues.

#15 ·
Still no word from anyone on exactly how much it takes to fill from empty. Well I did 249km last night taking 14.5 L to refill. Light came on at 208 so now I know 40km on reserve is OK. When filling I tried to look inside the tank and could see about 2 inches maybe at the bottom, but I couldn't see the section under the seat.
So I'm still guessing it will take 16 L , which means for me 270km tank range is possible and that's good news.

#16 ·
The final word. 15.5 litres tank capacity

Sputtered into the gas station today after doing 266km on a tank with the engine conking out. Not hard riding.
Listening to the tank with lid open as I shock the bike and not a sound of any splashing petrol so I believe I totally ran it dry. Took exactly 15.5 L to the brim. Reserve light came on at 208km

So for you Yanks thats 166 miles from a tank and 4.09 US gallons or 3.4 imp. gallons. .

#17 ·
Thanks, that sounds right. Every time I have been filling 3.5 US gall after my reserve light goes off.

#19 ·
Anyone figured out what the bizarre count-up is yet?

Fucking freaked me out the first time it came on yesterday. I was waiting for a message to say "YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO REFUEL YOUR MOTORCYCLE OR YOU'LL DIE!!!!"
If it reaches 60 the bike self destructs because the rider is an idiot for not refuelling.

The counting up from the low fuel point is far better than the traditional counting backwards. Counting down assumes the estimated starting point is accurate.

#23 ·
I have logged my refills from the start

here is a table:

light on, QTY refuelled, consumption
197km, 10.45l, 19.03 km/l or 53.68 MPG (imp)
190km, 10.68l, 17.88 km/l or 50.52 MPG (imp)
179km, 10.85l, 16.59 km/l or 46.86 MPG (imp)
198km, 11.20l, 18.30 km/l or 51.68 MPG (imp)

I usually try to refill with a 15mm gap between the fuel surface and the bottom end of the rim of the hole.

#25 ·
Actually from this thread Perfect I'd give it full credit for being reasonably frugal and the 'real' 15.5l tank giving 260km range is damn good. My D675 held closer to 17l, but only ever returned about 250 to 270km range at best. So I'd say the F3 is actually more fuel efficient than the Daytona.

Of course when either are thrashed non-stop all these sums go out the window.

#26 ·
Hi MV lovers.
I had the reserve light on at 105KM (run fast and hard) and at 230km (to slow).
And I ran out of gas once. I had put on the gas tank 16L with the bike standing and till the top of the tank. Maybe the other 0.6Litre are on the fuel system.
So my best is 4.5litre / 100km and the worse 10litre / 100km. After the reserve light on I think the best is refuel after 20km (more than 200km/h) or 40km (do not pass 140km).
All of the calculation are made with S mode on and without TC.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
I'm getting about 170km when the low fuel light comes on, F3 800. The counter going up does not seem to be actual KMs ridden, more a calculation of how many KMs ridden due to how your ridding ( hard or normal) Must calculate fuel amount used per sec converted to how many KMs estimated to empty.

#29 · (Edited)
Finally!! An MV owner using Fuelly :) . I'm impressed with your F3 MPG, certainly a lot better than what the 1090RR owner is getting.
I use it for my commuter bike (ER6N) and find it handy to keep track of MPG, expenditure, and just interesting stuff like the improved MPG after I put in a decent air filter or different brand tyres.

#32 ·
Nah, it's not a case of economy, or a consideration.

For me it's a case of 'need to know' When you do a lot of miles and a bit on tour YOU NEED TO KNOW. Riding my F3 is far more enjoyable than pushing it to a gas station.

#37 ·
Wow, I'm amazed at the difference in mileage these bikes are getting. I haven't calculated the mpg for commuting on my B3 800, but the light comes on around 170-180 km. I normally ride 20-30 km beyond that and it takes 13-14L to fill. I'd have thought the B3 would be more frugal than the F3, but it doesn't really look that way.

#38 ·
One thing I noticed on my B800 re mpg, is the difference I get between S map and N map. This is over the same commute and riding style, certainly higher mpg on N map, added 20 mile to orange light coming on.

jimboF4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.