MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I want to get/make a tank protector, and a chin pad on this 1090RR, but the paint is a matte finish, and I'm not sure how well it is going to stick. I would like them to be the same material, and am looking at the TechSpec C3 stuff. They may have this pattern in what they call "aggressive adhesive" as well, which would be good for them not coming off... but if they need to come off at another time, I don't want the finish getting all buggered up in the process. Any advice out there for you matte paint job guys? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Matte paint is the same as any two-part base-coat/clear-coat system. It simply uses a matting agent in the clear. The surface of the paint is no more or less porous than gloss.

That being said, I would go with whatever floats your boat. Aggressive adhesive will be a PITA when you want to remove the devices.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I got that in my head when I was reading the description on their site that said: "adhesion to matte finish not guaranteed for removable adhesive". I'm thinking if it's anything like stomp grip, it should go on and off pretty similarly. I just want something more "soft" and not as aggressive of a texture.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I used TechSpec Gripster Tank Grip to make my custom tank grips. It's holding onto the matte tank paint pretty well, though where the pieces were thin points they want to let go a bit where my legs push on them, but the main body of the grip is fine. May not have cleaned the paint well enough either. It's decent grip and easy to work with. Comes with two large rectangle pieces and smaller chin and center pieces as well. Might work for you :)

MV Mountains.jpg

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used TechSpec Gripster Tank Grip to make my custom tank grips. It's holding onto the matte tank paint pretty well, though where the pieces were thin points they want to let go a bit where my legs push on them, but the main body of the grip is fine. May not have cleaned the paint well enough either. It's decent grip and easy to work with. Comes with two large rectangle pieces and smaller chin and center pieces as well. Might work for you :)
Thanks!! They have a 5 piece kit for the Brutale, and since it's for a bike with a plastic tank, they come with the aggressive adhesive. It's still removable with some patience and warm water. I think that's what I'm going to go with. I just saw the sake skin on my buddy's R6 tonight, and I really like it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those inquiring minds... the TechSpec Snakeskin tank grips with their "aggressive adhesive" are holding up very well, and are very comfortable, and grippy, for street use. I like them so much, I am getting some for my RC51 as well, which needs it a lot more for my hands/wrists' sake. I may get some for the Senna, if I can bring myself to covering up the beautiful tank...

I got the complete "Brutale" kit, but I think the sizes were for the newer 800's, so I trimmed each one down to my shape and size liking. It is very easy stuff to work with.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts