MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering how many of you use tank grips?

Do you find it useful on track or on road?

I see lots of guys on track have them, but doesn't seem like any MotoGP/WSBK guys have them on their bikes.

The most popular brand TechSpec don't even make them fitted for MVs. Not sure why that is, but if you do use tank grips, which brand do you use?

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
I have some Stomp grips on my SPR tank.....cut to fit. Supposed to allow you to grip the tank with your thighs so you can prevent unwanted input to the handle bars from trying to hold yourself in place under braking or acceleration using your arms.
I suppose the GP bikes are so custom fitted to the rider that it is unnecessary ??

I have seen them fitted to pro level race bikes here in the US and would expect there are son WSBK riders using them too.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I had some Stomp Grips on my track bike. Put them on there thinking they would help under hard braking. Can't say they made a huge difference for me. My leathers are not that slippery when pressed against a painted metal gas tank. Depending on how loose your leathers are, you may move around a little inside your leathers in a way that Stomp grips cannot prevent.

I spilled gas once when re-filling between track sessions and the gas ran underneath the stomp grip and ultimately dissolved the adhesive. So, I took them both off.

·
Registered
379 Posts
TechSpec for me. You can buy it in sheets and cut to shape
I have TechSpec, mostly because of this - that you can buy in sheets and cut out a custom shape. I got the grips mainly to protect the finish because after only a couple of months of riding, my leathers were leaving scuff marks. Here's a photo:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
On the track I would say they are worth it but you must have your footpegs adjusted for your leg length and foot palcement (toes or soul of foot) in relation to pegs and tank to maximise the benefit for both braking and cornering. Most bikes leave the factory with pegs set for one size fits all, and the positioning is a compromise between comfort (low pegs) and performance (high pegs). I'm just over 6' and had the pegs on my EVO3 F4 about 60 mm higher and 20 mm forward of the original placement and was in the process of moving them further forward to assist locking knees into tank 9 until (the bike was stolen).

For road use I don't think tank grips are of much benefit except for paint protection.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Nothing really new.....bikes had rubber pads on gas tanks to grip with your legs long ago...:jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i used them on every bike i own, maybe its a preference thing but i like to have as much grip as possible anywhere I touch the bike. I feel like it reduces the effort required to ride. I use the same grips on every bike, make sure I have nice knurled foot pegs and use techspec tank pads

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone compared the R&G to the Stomp?

Has anyone tried the "Smoothridge" Stomp grip?
http://www.stompgrip.com/technology/...es#smoothridge

I am looking for a less aggressive profile than the Volcano Stomp since this is for my street bike (Brutale 800). For around town I wear kevlar jeans and the Stomp is a bit too aggressive IMO unless you are wearing leathers.

Also important to me is to get a very clear pad since there are the high speed "RR" graphics on my tank I don't want to cover up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also important to me is to get a very clear pad since there are the high speed "RR" graphics on my tank I don't want to cover up.
You could get a sheet of tech-spec and custom cut it around the graphics.

I have tech-spec on my Brutale and Stomp on my R6 race bike and had tech spec on my old race bike. Much prefer tech-spec over stomp grip for both. similar grip capability but fins it easier to transition across the bike with tech-specs

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could get a sheet of tech-spec and custom cut it around the graphics.

I have tech-spec on my Brutale and Stomp on my R6 race bike and had tech spec on my old race bike. Much prefer tech-spec over stomp grip for both. similar grip capability but fins it easier to transition across the bike with tech-specs
You can see in this image that the writing that is on the tank is exactly where the tank grips would go. As much as I would like to run the tech-spec (used them on my last few bikes in the past and loved them) it would just look stupid to have the black tech-spec installed

http://www.mvagusta.com/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/51/7e/517e2608-fa87-491b-b059-79c442669087/brutale-800-rr-1.jpg__1024x768_q85_crop.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the stomp grip stuff but wish they would offer a pre-cut kit with Smoothridge or the Quad Plate design. My leathers are starting to show some wear from the volcano style over the years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts