MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes the Flying Ant runs like a dog and other time's she's almost zippy. Quite often lately there's a phut and the spark can get blown right out unless I rev her like a schoolboy. I'm tempted to think that my tank, which is 55 years old and has never been cleaned to my knowledge, might be to blame. Even though I'm running a fuel filter there may well be some particles of crap that are getting through to the carb. Thinking it's high time I had it cleaned and relined.

Firstly, does anyone think this might be causing my spitting-back, spark extinguishing phuts?

Secondly, does anyone know of a good place to have the tank done (I'm in London).

Cheers one and all....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I'm thinking this is more of a points issue now. Will try to take care of it this weekend.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Firstly, does anyone think this might be causing my spitting-back, spark extinguishing phuts?

Secondly, does anyone know of a good place to have the tank done (I'm in London)
Hi Sheriff

I'd be sure to sort the ignition before I moved on to the carbs/tank. Be sure you don't have a problem with (..as you say, the points), plugs, HT leads, cracked distributor cap etc. - and not forgetting the condenser. A faulty condenser can cause 'arcing' at the points, and this won't help the spark.

MOST IMPORTANT! Do check any wiring beneath the tank (connector blocks) too. These are terrible for working loose or corroding and the culprit can be a b*gger to find. Ask me how I know!! Trace the live feed from the ignition switch, and be sure it's good/consistent. If you have any intermittent low-tension live, it will cause the symptoms you describe.

As to the tank: Why not renovate it yourself? I used a product called Por15 on the tank on my bike. A bike-sized kit is available (..I bought mine from Frost Restorations), and with it you can do both cleaning and relining jobs. It's very simple to use, and once complete it leaves the tank's innards as good as new. I've not had even a speck of rust in my float-bowls since I did the job, and the tank's insides have shone (silver) ever since. Recommended.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts