MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI MV Aficionados

I stopped by the Tampa dealer this week and they told me their dropping MV Agusta.

They stated quality problems and parts support was weak.

Dam, I hope somebody wakes up and fixes the problems !!

Thx

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry to hear that... same boat here in Houston, TX. If I have a warranty issue my option is to transport bike to Dallas-- although Dallas dealer said MV would actually pay for transport...

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Which dealer in Tampa?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
euro cycles

·
Registered
61 Posts
The UK also has a dwindling number of MV dealerships, which is certainly a concern.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here is an excerpt from 1/2018 interview between PowerSports Business & Joseph Elasmar, then newly appointed MV Agusta distributor for the US which addresses plans for expanding MV US dealer network:

"Next year we will continue developing and expanding the dealer network to improve customer accessibility to our motorcycles and service centers, with the aim of reaching a network size of 55 dealers across the U.S. and 10 dealers in Canada. In addition, we are also working through plans to launch flagship stores in some key locations that we anticipate to announce in first half of 2018."

Closures in Houston and Tampa certainly do not correlate with this plan. This is reminiscent of the 90's which saw globally known brands such as Alfa Romeo, Fiat, etc. leave the US market.

·
Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
Closures in Houston and Tampa certainly do not correlate with this plan. This is reminiscent of the 90's which saw globally known brands such as Alfa Romeo, Fiat, etc. leave the US market.
When we were at Laguna Seca last year, we got the privilege of chatting with folks in the MV Agusta supply chain...from the top of that chain...and we asked them about supply problems, dealerships and clothing/accessories.

The response was that the company is assessing current dealerships for performance and coming up with a plan of replacement. In other words, they are going to change locations and performance of dealerships by closing some and opening new ones.

I am waiting to see some new dealerships in the US.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
:frown2: Well that sucks...

I really like Euro Cycles and tell everyone about them. I prefer them over the one in Miami due to the friendliness and at home feeling when at the dealership.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Being located in Oregon, if I have an issue I am looking at a bit of a drive (4hrs) to get the bike to an actual dealer (Bellevue, WA)... The sad part is, Portland, Oregon is typically one of, if not the #1 Ducati dealer in the nation every year. They used to carry MV & Aprilia, but both were dropped due to continual lack of factory support & parts supply, Sounds Familiar.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
I am waiting to see some new dealerships in the US.
We do have the DucShop here in Marietta..... MV only sales, but major player in Ducati performance and repairs.

They have invested in training and tools for MV support and have been excellent for me with parts availability/pricing inquires, and getting me parts I order quickly.
They also stock MV service parts.

I think DucShop is the kind of dealer MV USA is looking for. Problem is finding these kind of people with the financial underpinnings to make it work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think DucShop is the kind of dealer MV USA is looking for. Problem is finding these kind of people with the financial underpinnings to make it work.
Driving clientele to the show room floor, tripping the units over the curb equates to busier service drive, more parts counter business and more flag hours for the techs because at the end of the day its all about able to retain qualified personnel while generating sound profits. That would be a win-win situation.

Financial backing is not a bottomless pit. Selling just a few units a month and even then having left over inventory at the end of the model year does not translate into a successful business model.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Driving clientele to the show room floor, tripping the units over the curb equates to busier service drive, more parts counter business and more flag hours for the techs because at the end of the day its all about able to retain qualified personnel while generating sound profits. That would be a win-win situation.

Financial backing is not a bottomless pit. Selling just a few units a month and even then having left over inventory at the end of the model year does not translate into a successful business model.

You haven't been to the DucShop.....small service oriented business. Tiny showroom. Demo ride bikes in the parking lot outside the front door. Small staff. Selling new bikes is not their primary business....but if you want to buy a MV, this is a place I would shop for it.

No floorplan.... they own the inventory.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ed, I’m not talking about the DucShop in particular but MV dealer network in general if the brand has any hopes for survival. Sounds like the DucShop did a fantastic job at establishing themselves in the community, kudos to them. From your description it sounds like they survive purely through the service department. I doubt that given the cost of carrying their own inventory especially of Italian bikes , they have a large selection of anything. They could be doing a bang up job of turning inventory and having an inventory age average of 15 days or less, don’t know. Whatever they are doing, if they are good enough to merit your praise perhaps MV should sit down with them in hopes of learning a thing or two on what to look for in their perspective dealers.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
MV sought the the DucShop out and set them up. New unit turns are more like 12 months. Maybe one unit every other month. Their cash may be tied up in the showroom, but they're not paying prime+1.5 (or whatever) to a bank every month. Nothing but a few MVs and a used Ducati or 2 on consignment.

One tech, plus the owner (who builds race engines and tunes) and his wife who does the books/answers the phone....and the occasional part time volunteer help in sales at bike shows or open house events.

MV dealers will never move multiple bikes in a month. The market is just not there. Small single brand specialty shops like this are what they need....unfortunately, not many shops like that around. Multi-brand dealers who expect rapid inventory turns will never be happy with MV on the floor.

But isn't that one of the things we find so great about the brand? The uniqueness of owning a MV.... that your don't see them every where?

Reactions: gotfolk
1 - 14 of 14 Posts