MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what other bikes he has designed...

I know he did the 916 & MV F4, did he do the 999 too...???

Any others anyone knows about???

James

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Does anyone know what other bikes he has designed...

I know he did the 916 & MV F4, did he do the 999 too...???

Any others anyone knows about???

James
999 was designed by Pierre Terblanche (google him), a brilliant but misunderstood designer then asked to leave Ducati coz noone could get used to the 999's looks. Then.

The 1098/1198/848 design harks back to Tamburini's success with the 916/996/998 but, imho, doesn't bring anything new. And was designed by....???

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

The 1098/1198/848 design harks back to Tamburini's success with the 916/996/998 but, imho, doesn't bring anything new. And was designed by....???
Giandrea Fabbro

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I agree with you Mike, the 999 wasn't popular so they went back to a similar look to the 916 The 1098 is IMO a better looking bike than the 999, but as you say, doesn't really bring anything new to the party. The 916,996,998 was a really hard act to follow, the F4 is also a hard act to follow, I guess we all hope MV don't make the same mistake but, judging from the snippets we've seen of the new bike (F4 I mean) I don't think they have.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
What is it about the 999 most people dislike?

For me, it is the front fairing. I've seen the bike with track skins and I think it looks quite good.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes, the stacked headlamp set up on the 999 isn't aesthetically pleasing, I liked the way the fuel tank becomes very slim at the rear though.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

For me, it is the front fairing. I've seen the bike with track skins and I think it looks quite good.
It's an odd bike, the only time I have ever though 'thats nice' was when I have seen one in 'race paint' like a Xerox or 999R version, I test rode one, very easy to ride

·
Registered
155 Posts

I can never make my mind up about the 999 Sometimes I look at them and think 'I'd love one of them' and other times I look at them and just think yuk.

As far as Bimota goes here is a bit of info.
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/motorcycle/bimota.asp

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

It's overall stance....flat, bulbous at the front and weak at the rear, and the bike sits very flat with no attitude. Looks like an old locomotive more than a sportsbike.

Proportion: is terrible. Designed by someone who didn't give it much priority. Weight and mass of surface are so important for aggression and spped, and the 999 fails dismally in this case. 916 and f4 both look fast and athletic standing still, yet the newer 999 went backwards. It's proportions are awkward and is a mismatch of weight placement. Designer was obessesed with making it look like a bloody old train. Original multistada is even worse.

Poor attention to detail. Subframe is yuk, Heavy handed groove in tank is even more yuk...lots of yuk on that bike. Stupid fuel filler...i could go on :)

·
2,156 Posts
It's an odd bike, the only time I have ever though 'thats nice' was when I have seen one in 'race paint' like a Xerox or 999R version, I test rode one, very easy to ride
Agree and the FILHA paint worked also.............:jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
2,156 Posts
It's overall stance....flat, bulbous at the front and weak at the rear, and the bike sits very flat with no attitude. Looks like an old locomotive more than a sportsbike.

Proportion: is terrible. Designed by someone who didn't give it much priority. Weight and mass of surface are so important for aggression and spped, and the 999 fails dismally in this case. 916 and f4 both look fast and athletic standing still, yet the newer 999 went backwards. It's proportions are awkward and is a mismatch of weight placement. Designer was obessesed with making it look like a bloody old train. Original multistada is even worse.

Poor attention to detail. Subframe is yuk, Heavy handed groove in tank is even more yuk...lots of yuk on that bike. Stupid fuel filler...i could go on :)
Well "said" :jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have Carl "CAG" drive up to see this one in person before I bought it. Its the last of the 999 model year a 2006 999R. All carbon fiber everything minus the gas tank. Very nice looking bike. I have owned a 996 generation and currently own a 1098S and I can vouch that the 999 series can do the business on the track and is a very well built and purposeful superbike. Looks or no looks it got results in WSBK in the years it raced. Okay it DOMINATED the competition during its racing days. :)

Pierre Terblanche also designed the Hypermotard as well

Some pictures:

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/image_db/rramseyr/44882_full.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wasn't Tamburini the man responsible for creating the Il Monstro which kind of started the re- evolution of the naked super bike?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks all for enlightening me...

Like you say the 916/996/998 MV F4 etc. are very hard acts to follow, it will take a radical change of direction to bring something new to the table.

As for the 999- i like it in race trim and reckon it will become collectable, it has the hall marks of becoming a long term grower i reckon.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wasn't Tamburini the man responsible for creating the Il Monstro which kind of started the re- evolution of the naked super bike?

you mean the Duc Monster right ? this was designed by Miguel Galluzzi , hed did also the Cagiva Raptor and Aprilia RSV4

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
the colors and stripes of the race trim somewhat hide through visual confusion every point pete made. He stated my exact perspective regarding the 999 design. Basically, it looks like a painted brick.

·
Registered
909 Posts
For me, it was the rear of the bike that stopped me buying; that silencer that came off a Scania, the way the subframe joined the chassis, the way the rear light was separate from the tailpiece, and the swingarm(early models). The headlights could have been much better too, say, flush with the bodywork.
By all accounts, the 999 was an excellent bike, but at those prices(I looked at an S model), it had to appeal to me visually as well. Anyway, I don't care- I've got an MV AGUSTA!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts