MV Agusta Forum banner

Tamburini or new RR

11K views 91 replies 39 participants last post by  mvrick 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Just want some feedback. If you could buy a tamburini or new 2011 f4 RR which would you buy?

I'm a Aussie so our pricing is different to you guys in the USA. But the tambo I could get for 60k it's done 2000km or a new f4 RR 2011 for 34k

Cheers
Sam

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Sam

I've always wanted a Tamburini but of course the new RR is a newer much more technically superior bike. I think it's got to be down to your personal choice. If you are looking at investment/resale values, the Tambo might be a better bet but they do seem to charge high prices in Oz though.:wtf: For Au $60k I'd be wanting a 0 miles Tambo. The RR (on the figures you've quoted) is nearly half the price, you could buy that and add some serious bling and still not be anywhere near the purchase price of the Tambo.There is one advertised in the UK at the mo for a few thousand pounds less than the one you are talking about and that's still too expensive for me. Yer pays yer money takes yer choice.......

#5 ·
The Tambo just looks real horn. And is rarer. Test ride them both. "Only a rider knows the feeling."
And $60k is cheaper than the $77k when brand new!!

For all the overseas people, the ultimate CC is listed in Aus for $185K. I saw one not long ago on ebay in the states for $50k!! Thought about bringing it over here purely for display!

MV's weren't cheap here, but they are better priced now. A Desmosedici RR was just over $100k new. Ferrari and Lambo's of the motorbike world after all?

#11 ·
Hehe

The Tambo just looks real horn. And is rarer. Test ride them both. "Only a rider knows the feeling."
And $60k is cheaper than the $77k when brand new!!

For all the overseas people, the ultimate CC is ( or was ) listed in Aus for $185K. I saw one not long ago on ebay in the states for $50k!! Thought about bringing it over here purely for display!

MV's weren't cheap here, but they are better priced now. A Desmosedici RR was just over $100k new. Ferrari and Lambo's of the motorbike world after all?
Not too well informed then mate :naughty:

#9 ·
I would get the Tamburini in a heartbeat.

#12 ·
My10c

I have never seen a Tambo in the real, I think it is the BEST looking MV next to the first generation ....(not going there).

For me, adding a lot of money, it would be really hard to choose.

The way I look at it - Neither of these bikes will ever see the road - The Tambo will sit in my house and be drooled over, the RR will go straight to the track.
I won't hesitate to track the Tambo but it needs work to be a great track tool, but then so does the RR.

Whichever one I choose would leave me with massive regrets.
:ahhh:

Pick what you want, and can afford - and good luck looking back as you ride away.

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback gents. If I decide on buying the tambo it Definatley won't stay in the garage and I will ride it all the time. The only thing that's holding me back is the new engine, oh ins suspension, brembo braked on the new RR and the tambo is already 6 yrs old with no warranty even though it looks better than all bikes ever made . It's a hard choice

Minime pm the details on yournbike km etc thanks for giving me a chance to offer you a price

#14 ·
I had a Tambo. It is, without a doubt, the most lovely piece of motorcycle art I've ever seen. I simply could not keep my eyes off it.

I rode mine, not alot, but enough. It ran flawlessly and I never had problem one with it. As for performance it might be an older bike but for me it was way more than I needed or used. Never even had the throttle wide open it was so hairy. Keep in mind I'm an old coot and my mind/reactions ain't what they used to be.

If I had to make the choice I would not hesitate to buy the Tambo over anything else MV makes or made. Right now today. Period.

If you can get one for 75-80% of what they went for new and it's in tit shape then were it me I'd jump on it.

The only down side I found to it was due to that fact it's the ne plus ultra of MV's I worried alot about goobering it. Even a little scratch would have driven me nuts. So if you're like that get a newer beater. They're all beaters compared to the Tambo.

Right Gary/Jenni?

#19 · (Edited)
Here are the numbers (wikipedia)

The Tambo has 113Nm @ 9200 rpm with 173ps @11,750rpm
The F4RR has 114Nm @9200 rpm with 201ps @13,400rpm

The Tambo and the F4RR has nearly identical torque numbers and in real world use this is more important than horsepower at peak rpm.

Personally I've only redline the Tambo once just to see how it feels. She is an animal!!

You don't need to cane the crap out of the Tambo motor as it has so much usable torque down low for road use.

BTW - New evolution models of the RR will continue to be made but MV will never make another Tambo.

#32 ·
BTW - New evolution models of the RR will continue to be made but MV will never make another Tambo.
that would do it for me, price not being an issue. unless you feel that you will eventually feel like the tambo is too slow. which at that time, u could get a used bimmer or 2015 r1 or whatever down the road to keep up with tech/performance of whatever is out there.

#21 ·
I'm siding with the rest of the crew if it was my money I'd be looking for a Tambo over the new RR.

This choice is based on that in the real world of road riding neither bike will have an advantage and the Tambo will always be the rarer and more special ride. However if you're going to be a regular track day rider or thinks like cars and police don't phase you and all you want is speed then the newer bike will have the advantage.

I have not seen a RR in the flesh however I have seen a 2010 1000R and it was nice, however the Tambo's I have seen (including minime's) are spectacular to look at.

Notwithstanding AUD60k for a used Tambo is high - even in Australia: these bikes don't regularly come up for sale but I'd suggest a much better price could be negotiated. In the longer term the Tambo should also be more depreciation resistant - that said, the actual ongoing value of a Tambo will likely be dependent on the fortunes of MV Agusta (see Bimota used values for a comparison).

Andrew...

#22 ·
So help a Mv guy here. How much would you guys pay for a tambo in Australia that's second hand and done roughly 3000km ? As you guys said they don't come up often here and the last one I saw was in Perth in a collection never ridden for 70k.

#24 ·
(Sorry I've used the wife's ID by mistake)

Basically the bike is worth what a buyer is prepared to pay...

This is a little difficult as the only two Tambo's I have actively watched in the local for sale columns is the bike that minime now owns (and this bike is also a subject of this thread) and another that was sold as an insurance write-off (don't go there).

About 4 or 5 years ago Tambo 007 was advertised with about 300km on the clock for AUD50k over the next few weeks the seller progressively raised the price to AUD70k (go figure), it remained unsold for at least 12 months.

When minime bought the bike, I believe it had a couple of thousand kilometres on the clock and he was adamant that he didn't pay AUD70k - minime can verify the facts.

Personally if I was in your market, I would be prepared to pay more for a top condition Tambo than a new RR however, not much more.

Andrew...

#29 ·
Looks like Tambo wins hands down all the time. You can ride a Tambo on street & track with no heating issue & flush suspension pleanty of adjustments for the road. Parts are similar to the rest of the fleet & pleanty off.
Thoes gold rimmg looks amazing on the road. This classic styling get more looks over the new shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.