MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from day one my 1090 has been giving me all sorts of issues. It was away at the shop for two months waiting for a dash, the gas tank leaked and expanded which cracked the paint, the rear turn signals stopped working, and the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about. When I'm riding the bike I adore it, but the small quirks scare me to the point I am talking to the dealer about trading for a Tuono V4R. I just really don't want something stupid to happen and me not have a bike to ride all summer. Opinions? Obviously this is an MV forum so we are all a little biased. Just wanna get what everyone else's experiences have been.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got so many problems....

But a Tuono V4R???? Hey man, that thing really is ugly :green: . It's got a good chassis and an engine that sound very very good. But the look of that thing just is a no-go imho.

If it came like this one I would have certainly got one:

This has been a concept.

So long
Jochen

·
Registered
292 Posts
If its new or used from a dealer then it should be replaced or fixed totally by them, they have a 2 year warranty from new. But it was second hand from a private sale then I guess you have a problem. If some dealer will give you a good trade on your lemon, take it. Riding is risky enough without worrying the bike will fail on you.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Josh I've a 1078rr and I just love it. Before I got it ..the motorcycle press and general dealership attitude tended to be unfavourable talking about unreliability etc. However undeterred I really wanted one ...so I got it.
Yes they do have their 'quirks' and the day after I got it much to my embarrassment it stalled at a set of traffic lights when I was about to 'take off' in full view of an 'audience' and WOULD NOT start. What have I done? entered my head as I had to have the bike brought home by a breakdown van.
It turned out to be nothing more than a flat battery.
It occasionally becomes 'lazy' to start when hot as described in a recent thread http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52753.... I've never gotten to the bottom of that.

It's probably THE most 'thirsty' bike I've ever owned....and I've spent a fortune on various upgrades etc.
There is currently no dealership in my country now.., and parts availability.....,well??.

I've 2 other bikes (a Honda and a Suzuki) that I can just jump on and never a single 'concern' enters my head when I do so.

Having said all of the above the Brutale 1078rr is without question my most prized possession and I absolutely love it.
No bike I've ever owned gives me the shear thrill of owning.,admiring and riding as this one does. And I've stated here many times.....I'll never.., Never sell it.
It stirs my emotions and no matter what bike shows..,meetings, or otherwise I've attended I've yet to see a bike I'd prefer.
It's the envy of whoever sees it and that is evident in the eyes of 'others' when I'm asked 'what do you ride'?.
I don't need to be... 'talked in or out of it' ...mines a keeper...,no matter what!.
Brian.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
"...the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about."

That seems like a pretty major engineering fault when it comes to a safety system. If replacing the master cylinder, brake line and caliper can't fix it, then how does anyone with a 1090RR have back brakes?!?

On the other hand, the Tuono V4R APRC is an amazing machine, but I'd be scared of it turning into a robot. It was my alternate to the 1090R, but the MV just looks so nice.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
reliable?

19,000 miles on a '08 910R......:drummer:

1 low beam bulb, thats it!
nothing has fallen off or broken either
valve cover leaks ~2 drops PER month
no battery tender either

·
Registered
21 Posts
mirror fell off

Wow..this is scary! I was shocked at mirror coming off. I would not expect that to happen on the cheapest bike out there. I just did over 1000 miles with no other issues though. Scary that to think I could have broken down. Also, I noticed it keeps slipping into neutral. Even in higher gears, it would get stuck between gears and the engine would spin super fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow..this is scary! I was shocked at mirror coming off. I would not expect that to happen on the cheapest bike out there. I just did over 1000 miles with no other issues though. Scary that to think I could have broken down. Also, I noticed it keeps slipping into neutral. Even in higher gears, it would get stuck between gears and the engine would spin super fast.
Haha thanks for reminding me! The mirrors don't stay in their set position either. I fixed that though. I just do feel like I got a lemon, I feel like the dealer feels the same way as they told me they would do everything they can to help me out. As far as stirring my soul goes, nothing has ever come close to the feeling I had with my 910 brutale. Something about the pre MY2010 bikes. They felt more visceral and raw. The new ones feel shoddy and neutered. I have just yet to fall in love with it. Don't get me wrong it is an incredible bike but it doesn't pull at my heart strings enough to justify the frustration it seems to want to cause me. I don't know, obviously the Brutale is the best looking bike out there and the craftsmanship is top notch, but that Tuono is a nice number as well. Tough call, I'll have to see what the dealer can do for me price wise. Thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So from day one my 1090 has been giving me all sorts of issues. It was away at the shop for two months waiting for a dash, the gas tank leaked and expanded which cracked the paint, the rear turn signals stopped working, and the rear brake doesn't work at all which the dealer told me is just an engineering fault that nothing can be done about. When I'm riding the bike I adore it, but the small quirks scare me to the point I am talking to the dealer about trading for a Tuono V4R. I just really don't want something stupid to happen and me not have a bike to ride all summer. Opinions? Obviously this is an MV forum so we are all a little biased. Just wanna get what everyone else's experiences have been.
My brutale. will never match the build quality or reliability of my yamaha.
Its like a running joke tbh

Nice bikes, but not worth anything near what we pay for them.

Weigh it up your self....

Personally, anything BUT Japanese seems to have issues....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can remember an article in a German bike magazine in which they reported someone doing 100.000 km's with a 910.

No major issues to be read. Are earlier Brutes better build i wonder?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think it's hit and miss. Some guys have had no problems what so ever and others get lemons ( like me )

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get the feeling I just got a lemon. I think I will get a Tuono for a year or so then when the F3 800 comes out I may give MV another chance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Only issue I've had with my '06 is the usual SPU failure, where the lights don't go off, even with engine off and keys out ! Other than that it's never missed a beat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2010 1090RR and have had no problems other than the loose mirror glass (I took those ugly suckers off and replaced with bar end mirrors). I have a 2012 Tuono V4R black. No issues. Sounds awesome and runs great. It is a good looking bike, just not gorgeous like the MV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 2010 1090RR and have had no problems other than the loose mirror glass (I took those ugly suckers off and replaced with bar end mirrors). I have a 2012 Tuono V4R black. No issues. Sounds awesome and runs great. It is a good looking bike, just not gorgeous like the MV.
Haha my mirror glass fell off on my way to dealership to consign it today. I agree that the MV is gorgeous, I just want something I can always rely on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I came off of a 2006 910 Brute onto a 2012 Tuono. I loved my MV and it was the most beautifully finished vehicle I've ever owned. Performance wise, there is no comparison. The Tuono utterly crushed my MV. The electronics are superb, and I've had no reliability issues. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1000 mile tour, something that I couldn't say with my Brutale.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 Tuono (traded my V2 Tuono) and have to say it's a brilliant bike. Suspension out of the box is nice. Thought it would make me want to sell my 990R. Not so much. Have put a lot in the Brute (Arrow, PCV, Ohlins, Andreani) to up-spec the bike and it's definitely paid off. The bike runs and looks beautiful. Can't see parting with it.

Sorry to hear about your issues but you can get that with the Tuono as well. Bike does run a bit hot which is not a problem as long as you keep moving. Might change a bit with more miles (at anout 170). Also, just developed a leak around the coolant drain bolt on the water pump. Something I will have to keep my eye on as summer approaches. Have seen other issues on the Tuono forum. But of course seems the issues tend to dominate the discussions sometimes. Don't regret the trade as it was Tuono for Tuono. But not the Brute.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts