MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, OK - so i have searched the forum and read A LOT of issues with indicators :)

Switching right works perfect, switching left works sometimes.. and then sometimes after a short delay. It seems to work better if i push down slightly before switching to left... So im gathering that this is something in the switch itself...

Lots of threads about checking etc, but no followup with how they actually got the unit open to check it.

I can see some very small locking points, around the base part of the unit, but it really looks like someone didnt want you to try and open it :)

Any suggestions?

Simon

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Sounds like a bad contact.Remove the switch,spray with contact cleaner then dry with compressed air.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bad contact.Remove the switch,spray with contact cleaner then dry with compressed air.

Thanks mitchy... Do you mean take the whole plastic switch housing apart? Or just spray in the sides etc?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I took a switch apart a while back. Now I'm pretty good with fiddly stuff as I used to build model aeroplanes. This switch literally fell to bits in my hands and was awful to reassemble.
I ended up buying another switch.

If you look at the wiring diagram and test the terminals at the connector block from the switch ie disconnect the block from the main harness, you can test the switch without dismantling it.

Test for continuity from 12v input terminal to the switched output terminals.

That's the smart way to do it.

Joe

·
Registered
418 Posts
My indicator switch is not returning to neutral by itself (like it used to), how do you take it apart? I can split the halves but still can't get to the witch, do you prise the little rectangular panel that holds the switch from the main body of the entire switch assembly?

·
Registered
418 Posts
how do you take it apart?
Should have heeded gotojoe's experience. I figured out how to take it apart (with great care so as not to break it), there was a metal ball that sits at the end of a spring, 'was' being the operative word. I spent 15 minutes putting it back and putting the covers back on. Started the bike back up, indicator working beautifully, twice, then the ball popped out again, I wasted more time putting the ball back, covers back on and test, all together 3 times. What a complete waste of time, the ball was just not going to stay put.

Looks like a new indicator switch now, though now that I know the mechanics of it, I'm not sure I should bother and may be just slide the switch manually to operate indicators. Or as someone once said to me, you'll go faster if you don't turn so much :).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks mitchy... Do you mean take the whole plastic switch housing apart?
Now that I've taken mine apart, I can say that you most likely will have to take it apart to clean it.

The photo shows the innards of the indicator switch, but it is inside the actual housing of the entire switch assembly (like a faberge egg). You split the switch assembly, then you split the bottom half, then you remove the indicator switch, then you split the switch to get to the contacts. A real pain...and as others have posted, you'll have to be careful, things might break or plastic tabs might get broken.

I used a flat blade screwdriver to prise things apart, taking a lot of care, but still mangled a fair bit of plastic, lucky the mangled bits were mostly inside so can't be seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts