MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding over to Mons, Belgium tomorrow for Remembrance WW1.

I'll be leaving from Portsmouth and overnight on the ferry to Le Havre France.

We'll travel on the quiet back roads through Picardy and pass through Amiens, Albert, Baupaume and Cambrai before crossing the border into Belgium.

This is very close to the route taken a little over a century ago by the British Expeditionary Force. This was the regular British Army which made first contact with the Kaiser's forces on 22-8-14 and shortly after the action in which two Victoria Crosses were won, began the tactical withdrawal and "race to the sea" prior to the four years of entrenched warfare with which we are all familiar.

The army was practically destroyed and afterward began Kitchener's program of aquiring a citizen army to replace the killed and wounded.

Just two fellas on bikes traipsing through God knows what weather to place a Poppy out there as a humble way of saying thank you.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
Joe, you have great rides! Who is your traveling companion?

Safe journey!

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Joe, you have great rides! Who is your traveling companion?

Safe journey!

Thank you Chuck. I also have great Gortex !

My mate Roger and his girlfriend are coming along. I'm on the 1975 R90 and he is on his MotoGuzzi California.

It is fascinating to visit these places and take on board the scale of the conflict and see the pages of the history books coming to life.

This is the centenary as we know and I intend to visit the area for the next four years or so.

I knew/know precious little but each time I go a little more understanding is layered on the previous.

But in a sense, I don't think it is possible to "understand" fully...but, I'll try.

joe

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
I think, unless you were there, it is impossible to fully understand.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice Joe! Enjoy the ride (though Normandy can often be wet).

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
places and things.....

Thank you Joe,

been most of those places a long time ago......

Chuck there are amazing things to see....

and a lot to think about

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you fellas..I'm packing my gear now. I had a thought ( rare ! ) , that if any of you guys have a relative out there I'm leaving some poppies and I'll put their names on a card.

If you can pass me the details by email only plz :) to [email protected] I'll be honored to do this.

I'll check back in a few hours.

atb

joe

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike's loaded and I'm an hour ahead of myself so lots of time in hand...

Thanks for all the good wishes guys...It is always a poignant trip and my first time to Belgium..

Now where did I leave my key ? !!

Cheers

Joe

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts

Joe... If you get time, try and get down to the Ardennes region of Wallonia in Belgium.. An amazing region with loads of WW2 history.

Have a safe trip and make it back to Blighty in one piece.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am jealous I love riding around Belgium. I am only 40 mins from the ferry from Hull to Zebrugge. I can visit most of the sites in northern Belgium in a day through winter they do 2 for 1 crossings. I was planning to go this Wednesday ,Belgium on Thursday back on the Ferry that evening home for 10am Friday all for £90. Work has spoilt it cancelled 2 of my days off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts