MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2013 f4 RR it has 5000km on it not miles ! the other day I noticed the tail ( license plate bracket ) that is held on bottom of exhaust by 3 bolts was getting loose , under inspection it actually has ripped out the center bolt near rear of bike causing the stainless steel of the muffler shell to rip around the rivets and right down the center of the under part of muffler shell , it has ripped so bad I cant figure a way to repair it let alone re weld the bolt that need to be there to hold the tail , I have contacted MV to see if they can help me out ? I assume I need a new muffler ? anyone had this problem my bike is not under warranty but is so new I cant imagine this happening already ! Bike has never been down or dropped !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

if you look closely you can see the rip in the stainless steel near rivets , as well as down the center to the tips as well as the tail bolt welds failed luckily I got the bolt out its not down in the muffler can somewhere ! MV help me out bike is in a sad situation right now and short riding season up here in Canada

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Take the tailpipe of and get an engineering shop to weld a patch over the hole, it shouldn't be too hard too do. I image the nut was loose causing fibration which probably caused your problem.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Stainless steel is good for a lot of things, flexing is not one of them, it "work hardens" very quickly.
Those cracks you see everywhere are just that, cracks not "rips" as you put it, caused by the extended weight of you number plate and bracket repeatedly working the back mounting point up and down.
As Dons has already said have it repaired, if you still have the nut weld it back in, but have it and the other two mounting points welded all the way round (not just tacked in)
A decent welder will make the repairs invisible
Once repaired invest in or fabricate a tail tidy that doesn't swing it's weight so far from its mounting points:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts