MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried a tail bag on the passenger seat?
I've given up on the idea of a top box and set sights on a soft tail bag that would be smaller and less weight than a top box.
I tour for a month at a time and need the extra space, panniers are not enough. Any thoughts? It sounds petty, most would be happy with just the panniers, but I've had many bikes over the years with top boxes or similar, and it's hard to give up old touring habits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S. It works good for commuting, I can fit my lunch, sweater, gloves and tinted visor in there. It was relatively inexpensive and actually fit on the passenger seat without touching the paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HeBGb, I looked at the expandable Nelson Rigg CL-1040-TP which holds 42 litres expanded, looks good online, with good reviews, but may need a base rack fabricated. I'll keep looking at other brands though. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mate - the BEST thing you can do is get the Kriga range of talbags.

It fits extremelly easy, removes easily, completely waterproof. cannot rave enough about this

Kriga | Kriga

I have the us-20 and us-10 pack. The one joins on top of the other to give 30 liters of space. I actually just ordered an additional us-10 (to fir two us-10 on the side of the us-20).

Kriega US Combo 30 Tailpack (US20 + US10) Luggage Pack for Motorcycle Bike | eBay

Kriega US Combo 40 Tailpack (US20 + 2xUS10) Luggage Pack for Motorcycle Bike | eBay

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I got a Kriega US10 for Christmas from the in-laws (well I bought it myself and gave it to my wife to give to them to give me, oddly they gave my wife the money for it... go figure...)

Have yet to fit it to the bike for real, just offered it up. Looks like it's made to fit on the pillion perch of the TV size-wise. Only issue is it'll make the bike more of a stretch to swing my leg over. I might have to resort to standing on the inner peg rather than the floor when mounting.

I accept that the US10 is pretty small but it offers some useful extra space for day to day stuff like waterproofs, food, bottle of water etc. I do have a Givi ST602 tank-bag (quite small) for phone, tyre repair kit, spare gloves, first aid kit etc. but this isn't quite enough if I don't have the panniers fitted. i,e, day trips or days on tour when we stay at the same location for more than one night, it's nice to ride without panniers. On last summer's tour my mate kindly carried my waterproofs on days like this and he's on a 996!

Kriega is really well made, waterproof and very adaptable. Well worth a look.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had Kriega stuff in the past and it's very well made gear with a premium feel.

It's not so easy to get at stuff though (which is why it's totally waterproof), so a conventional tail pack might be better - then again, a small tank bag, as mentioned above, perhaps secured to the fuel filler flap, might be more practical?

The seat bag for a Stradale has also been mentioned as a small but stylish option - see here STRADALE 800 | BAGS | Seat Bag | MV Agusta

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
a small tank bag, as mentioned above, perhaps secured to the fuel filler flap, might be more practical?
I found that wasn't enough. Though maybe I carry around too much crap :rolleyes:

There isn't a big range of tank bags around for the TV. Ideally they need the convenience of a good filler cap ring system as you have to remove them to get to the ignition key. That pretty well narrows it down to either SW Motech or Givi.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Got the Kriega bags they are very good, but access is a pain during a day of riding when you might want to retrive something.

Found the Ogio stealth (or the Dainese D Bag if you want to pay more the the branding!) and it fits very well on the pillion seat. You can get a good 20-23 litres in it, but as Chas implies mounting the bike will become more of a challenge!

https://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Ogio-Tail-Bag-Black/dp/B003952484

Dave

·
Registered
403 Posts
So to make access to the kriega easier, as well as remove the need to continually set the straps to different lengths when you add or take stuff out, i got a plastic container that fits precisely into the Kriega. Easy to take container out, open up, get what you want, close, put back. Strap tension also then does not need re-adjustment.

I'll post some photo's when i'm back at home the weekend

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I used the Elite Sak from Luggage Locker on my 910R.
Soft, expandable and perfect for short and long trips.
It fits across the pillion seat by way of sturdy adjustable velcro straps.
I no longer have the bike but still got the bag, which does not fit on my KTM.
It's in great condition and available for sale for a reasonable price.
Being soft material it can easily be shipped in a postal padded bag.
PM me if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your suggestions, now all I need is a TV! Luggage is a bugbear for me, all else I love about the bike, apart from the obvious occasional issues mentioned in these forum discussions.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I do a lot of 1000mile 3 day weekend rides - and I love my Kriega US30.
It is completely waterproof, easy to mount and take off - and there is no sign of the mounting kit when not in use.

I have mounting kits on both my F3 and my RVF400 - here is a pic of it on my RVF.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gero, Can you please confirm if your held tenda can be locked and securely fastened under the pillon seat so you dont have to take it off every time you leave the bike for any length of time? The company says it is water resistant. Have you any experiance of how it behaves in the wet? Many thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Robin,
the Held Tenda is fixed with some clippers .. no Lock or absolutely secure.... but you can take the Bag easily off.
Have a look at this video. It is in german but you can see how the Bag works...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi again Robin,
here a pic from the Tail bag..

more in my Album....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Despite buying a Kriega US10 to strap to the pillion seat late last year I couldn't find an easy/convenient way to attach it. Also I was concerned as to it hindering mounting the bike, I can only just get my leg over it as it is. I've gone for a bigger tank bag in the end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Gero for the nice clear photos. The video unfortunately does not show how the bag fits onto the bike. You have taken the fixing straps under the frame. Is it possible to route them under the pillion seat so the straps from both sides click together under the seat? That way nobody can remove the bag without taking off the seat. The zip design looks like there is room for a small lock to deter any opportunistic theif. Thanks for your help. Robin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts