MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so, on my ride back from laguna, while on the highway, i noticed that the needle on my tach bounces a lot when around 5k RPM. i held the throttle open very steady - there's no way the engine RPM was actually jumping that much - the motor would have to have ZERO rotational inerita for it jump that fast!

it did not do this before.

seems to be related to where in the RPM range i'm at, and also the rougher the road, the more it jumps. not sure if it's the needle that is loose, or the servo motor is going kaput.

anyone seen this before on an MV?

alex

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mines done this for quite a while now. I thought it was because of a bad connection somewhere as it seemed to do it after I fitted a DIGI Gear Indicator although ive removed this now & it still does it.

Have any of you played around with the dash wiring connector as well?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didn't mess around with anything.

to be honest, i was like "who cares what's going on at 5k rpm?" if the problem was at 10k or higher, i would be more concerned. but the tach is (was?) rock solid after the 5k point.

on the track, i let her down to 5k in the pits. other than that, she's above 7k for the duration. or i made a mistake and put her in the wrong gear. hahaha

the way it jumps, i wonder if there is some kind of interference on the signal?

alex

·
Registered
798 Posts
fazer6 said:
Funny, never heard of this before, though Altoon's original post is over a year old :laughing:
Jeeez. Didn't even notice this until you mentioned it.
Never noticed this on my bike, but can't say I even look at the tach much.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had this exact same problem.

Check your chain. A sticky link is what caused my bike to do this. After I got rid of the sticky link (well, I actually put on a new chain), all RPM bouncing was gone...

You wouldn't ever think to look there, but logically thinking and looking back, it makes sense.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have no idea..I'm guessing the chain hop has something to do with it causing reverse or excessive force on the crankshaft/front sprocket. Thus, giving you a bouncing tach needle.

All I know is, I had a NASTY sticky link (so nasty infact, it ate up my upper chaingaurd after a couple miles by the time I noticed there was a sticky link, it chewed my chaingaurd), and after I replaced the chain, it was back to like new RPM smoothness. Bike also ran much smoother. Didn't think a sticky link could do that much (performance wise), but it definitly made a difference when I put on a new chain.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
fazer6 said:
Funny, never heard of this before, though Altoon's original post is over a year old :laughing:
:laughing:

I didn't notice that...it never ceases to amaze me how many posts I miss despite the excessive amount of time I seem to spend here :jsm:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
fazer6 said:
:laughing:

I didn't notice that...it never ceases to amaze me how many posts I miss despite the excessive amount of time I seem to spend here :jsm: :jsm:

·
Registered
601 Posts
In my case, I am back on the forum after quite some time. I only wish I had never stopped reading and posting here since my bike is in the shop (under warranty). The cooling fan motor needs to be replaced since it was not coming on at all one day. And since she is there, they are replacing the second tac as mine as well jumps all over the place and they said it was defectuous. Will post again to let you guys know if it keeps jumping after this third one is installed.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Bouncing Tacho

Yup, mine too!!:rant:

The needle just isn't steady on my 1000 @ any rev range, Luckily I have the use of a brand new 312R next week with only 500mls on, so I'll check the rev counter out on that to see if its the same! as the warranty runs out on my own 1000 on the 7th of next month.:ahhh:

If the 312 doesn't bounce I'm gonna put in for a new tacho before its too late to claim.:jsm:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts