MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not starting the dreaded oil thread, but was wondering if any one knows if MV ships bikes with synthetic from the factory.
Yes, I know all the old wives tales about Synthetic and break in but many manufacturers are shipping with full synthetic from day one.

John

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
airfuel said:
Not starting the dreaded oil thread, but was wondering if any one knows if MV ships bikes with synthetic from the factory.
Yes, I know all the old wives tales about Synthetic and break in but many manufacturers are shipping with full synthetic from day one.

John
I must have been asleep when the old wives were taking about synthetic and break in John. Can you enlighten me. Thanks mate. :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john said:
I must have been asleep when the old wives were taking about synthetic and break in John. Can you enlighten me. Thanks mate. :)
You know....the old wives would tell you if you run synthetic in a new engine, the rings won't seat, the valves will have bad things happen to them and the motor will never ever break in and you will have an oil burning, low power bike forever. :blah:

Amsoil states it is fine to run their synthetic in new engines, Mobil 1 comes in many new cars and I have run synthetic very early in many bikes and cars. Not a drop of oil used.

John

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Having just had my first service, I asked the MV mechanic this very question, and its synthetic from the factory, in fact the oil that goes in at first and subsequent services is exactly the same brand and specification as what goes in at the factory.

However this mineral Vs semi mineral Vs synthetic has more discussion that the running in a new motor debate, but as an example, my recently departed 05 R1 had mineral oil in from factory and was changed to synthetic at 1000kms....so I guess its brand specific?

Im sure there is an engineering type on the board who will enlighten us all....?? :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agusta01 said:
in fact the oil that goes in at first and subsequent services is exactly the same brand and specification as what goes in at the factory.
What oil did they use, Agip 10W-60?

my recently departed 05 R1 had mineral oil in from factory and was changed to synthetic at 1000kms....so I guess its brand specific?
I think this might be pure economics. Yamaha produces many thousands of R1's and putting synthetic in at the factory would hurt the bottom line. Also, they may not run each engine like MV does. Not sure though...

Im sure there is an engineering type on the board who will enlighten us all....?? :)
Oh no, not an engineer!! We'll never get an answer! :blah: :blah: :later:

John

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just need to check the service invoice, but sure it was 10w-40, Im guessing thats just as its a warmer climate.

Yes and Yamaha's motor lwould have less finer tolerances which may influence oil choice as well as economics....

And the engineer comment Im leaving well alone....! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Agip 4T 10W-60 100% synethetic from factory.

The mineral vs synthetic argument often compares apples to oranges IMO. If the manufacturer specifies synthetic from new it's a moot point, the machining was done and materials used with this in mind and early life engines expect it. If mineral was specified then machining was also done with this in mind and IMO real break in (+ 2 changes?) needs to be accomplished with mineral.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JamesC said:
Agip 4T 10W-60 100% synethetic from factory.
Good to know, Thanks James.

I plan on using the Agip and will check how it does with an oil analyisis down the road. This engine must beat the snot out of oil for MV to require such a heavy oil. I would be wary of using a 10W-40 in hot weather. maybe a full synthetic but no way a dino oil.
I think frequent oil changes are going to be a must with this bike.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts