MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I decided to fix a scratch on my Brutale's swingarm today. I read a few earlier threads trying to find a paint code and gave up when all indications were that there is no specific touch up paint available. I guess it is because the swingarm is anodized... Although up close I swear it looks like someone painted it with a roller - the kind you use when painting a house.

Anyway, I think I've had some success covering up my scratch and thought I would share. If any of you have a better/easier solution I would love to know too.

Instead of trying to get an automotive detailer to match the paint (and charge me anywhere from $20-$50) I went to a hobby shop and picked up a couple of little tins of enamel paint and some thinner. They have colours available that look like they match but I went the safe option and shelled out for a Matte White and Matte Black tin at $2.95 each (Australian). All up with the thinner I spent about $10.

I spent about an hour mixing the white with the black and matching the colour - like I said, too much time on my hands today. I learned that it is best to try the colour on some paper, let it dry, then hold it up against the swingarm in direct sunlight. Also the paint is darker when wet.

Matching the paint wasn't very difficult. Getting it to blend in was a little harder but really none of this is particularly challenging. The textured finish on the swingarm makes the touched up area look flat and glossy even though the paint is matte finish. I used a small paint brush to apply the paint then dapped it with a clean rag as it was drying.

Here's the result. I drew a little red box around it. I should have taken a "before" picture but by the time I thought of taking a photo I was already done. The scratch was 2-3mm wide and exposing the bare alloy. It got there from a rear hugger that wasn't screwed on properly. It was contacting the swingarm and the vibration wore the paint away.

I kept the mixed paint in an sealed jar for next time. Have I done this the hard way? I would love to know if there is better or simpler way of doing this.

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If you are looking for spray paint, use this:

If you feather it past the scratch, it is an almost perfect match.

CAG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I've got a few small chips just under the tank that i might try to fix the same way. I read somewhere about riders fixing small scratches by mixing varoius nail varnish colours; but I never had much sucess; and the price of cosmetice these days is more expensive than the hobby paints, anyway.

·
Administrator
20,370 Posts
Wow, Satan...what the hell happened there? Looks like rock chips, but on the side of the bike? :confused:

I think your model enamel custom mix is absolutely the way to go for do-it-yourself....you should look into an inexpensive air brush at the same hobby shop, then you can feather in the paint for a seamless repair. :smoking:

·
Registered
274 Posts
i went to fast in a curve on the track. then a gave her a full stop rather than going on the knee again. so i crashed in the rock field.:banghead:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
It matches the swing arm and mid frame plates. It is not the same black as the main frame of the bike.

Does it fill small chips? Depends on how nice a finish you want. I would say no, not really.

CAG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, Satan...what the hell happened there? Looks like rock chips, but on the side of the bike? :confused:

I think you model enamel custom mix is absolutely the way to go for do-it-yourself....you should look into an inexpensive air brush at the same hobby shop, then you can feather in the paint for a seamless repair. :smoking:
Thanks! The air brush is a fantastic idea! This time around I didn't need an air brush. I forgot I already have a little cheap one that I use for repairing my windsurfing boards occasionally. They're great and you don't need an air compressor because you can buy disposal cans of compressed air at the hobby shop too. :D

·
Registered
890 Posts

I think you model enamel custom mix is absolutely the way to go for do-it-yourself....you should look into an inexpensive air brush at the same hobby shop, then you can feather in the paint for a seamless repair. :smoking:
"Satan" taking the bike to the max!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Satan, CAG's paint looks like the way to go for your swingarm and mid plates. I would get some 2-pack filler for the chips, use it sparingly (chip-by-chip) and sand them flush before painting. The sanding has potential to make a bigger mess so I would just sand each chip mark out individually rather than sand the whole surface in one go. If the finish is not satisfactory doing it this way, then I would progressively resort more drastic measures - like sanding sections and painting them. At worst I would take the swingarm off and get it anodized again.

Roger

·
Registered
200 Posts
Satan and Batman ride an MV - I knew it :drummer:

good tips by the way it was probably me posting earlier looking for paint codes. I think I'll try the enamel route, more control than masking and spraying I reckon. Maybe a mini roller for the perfect finish! I'll even do a before and after if I can get my act together

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are looking for spray paint, use this:

If you feather it past the scratch, it is an almost perfect match.

CAG
Sorry for the necro bump, but this image is now gone and the paint brand/color is not referenced by name anywhere in the thread. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know it's the old thread, but someone might find this useful.

Previous owner obviously had a habit of holding a heel of the boot against the swingarm, as the paint on one spot was rubbed down to bare metal. I know it was "just a spot", but it was very visible (and annoying) so I've decided to tackle this.

Searching the internet for the correct paint gave no result and then this topic pops up. Instead of going the same way of mixing colors, I've tried with the available shades of enamel colors.

After a couple of trial and errors, I've found one that is almost the perfect match - Revell email color RV32109 Anthracite Grey Matt

(No "before" photo this time, I was so impatient to give it a go...)

Other than rubbed off paint, the issue also was that the surface on that spot is now perfectly flat, so it doesn't have a same texture. So, I've tried a little trick...

Applied a thick layer of paint...

And as it dried, I've dubbed it with the sponge to blend it in and also to create a same texture. Use quality application sponge that doesn't leave dust particles (yeah, ask me how I know this...)

And there it is! Final result (again, sorry for the lack of "before" photo). Not 100% perfect, but miles better than I was expect to be. :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Looks like that grey has a touch of green in it in the photo's light. Still miles better than bare metal and the texture idea was smart. The main point is now someone would have to look quite hard to find it and it no longer annoys you.

I am an old modeller so I have loads of small tins of paint to rustle up a good match.
I am quite good at colour matching and have done some very satisfactory work in the past on repairs to various items including the MV, but the pinky red of my Anodised Titanium exhaust cans has me stumped. The chemical anodised finish doesn't relate to any paint I have, and I have many colours and types ranging from matt-gloss, metallic's, translucent etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts