MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my 2010 990R last week, and it came from the dealer with the weirdest looking swingarm. It has turned purple and has black spots. I asked my dealer what it was, and they have no answers. I thought it was just oil or grease on the surface when I picked it up, so I did not worry about it. Then when I got it home and was ready to wipe off the grease, I realized it was the black anodizing, and that the entire swingarm was fading around the areas of black. Looks like hell for a new 15K bike. I would love to know if anyone else has seen this problem on the new 2010 bikes. Go here for a photo:
http://yfrog.com/i3img5124ej

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Any pictures? The color on those bikes that have matt finish is pretty hard to maintain in original state.

·
Registered
324 Posts
that's strange and I could see how you would think it was just dirt/oil. Did you try cleaning it with anything?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'd immediately have Dealer contact MV Agusta ....that's simply wrong !

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
That is weird looking...I would be in contact with the dealer immediately...that ain't right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's strange and I could see how you would think it was just dirt/oil. Did you try cleaning it with anything?
Nothing I tried had the slightest effect on it. I started with mild bike polish and ended up using naptha which should remove any oils. It simply is not an oil on the surface, I think the swingarm was shipped from the factory with grease, fingerprints, etc. That grease must have protected the anodizing from UV or whatever faded the finish. I would not care if it were all purple or all black. Just one or the other! I spoke with the dealer service dept. today, and they said they used nothing harsh to clean it. I had the same problem with my radiator hose on my 2009 Brutale. It was purple and had an uneven look to it when I bought it from the same dealer.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I had the same problem with my radiator hose on my 2009 Brutale. It was purple and had an uneven look to it when I bought it from the same dealer.[/QUOTE]

The same here and they replaced it for me at the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I do hope your dealership steps up and for that matter Mv Agusta. Though, I do believe the dealership should have never sold you the bike, much less walk out the door with it with the Swingarm looking like that. A lesson obviously can be learned from this. Never walk out the door with a new bike before performing a close inspection as well as a test drive, weather you put a down payment or not. I would have asked them to order me a new bike if I'd felt at all uncomfortable about any issues. It is for heavens sakes suppose to be a brand spanking new bike. And an expensive one at that!
Keep us updated and I do hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about your problem. I do hope your dealership steps up and for that matter Mv Agusta. Though, I do believe the dealership should have never sold you the bike, much less walk out the door with it with the Swingarm looking like that. A lesson obviously can be learned from this. Never walk out the door with a new bike before performing a close inspection as well as a test drive, weather you put a down payment or not. I would have asked them to order me a new bike if I'd felt at all uncomfortable about any issues. It is for heavens sakes suppose to be a brand spanking new bike. And an expensive one at that!
Update: Everyone at Proitalia acted surprised, and as though they never noticed the discoloration when the bike was set up. I did bring it up with my sales person as well as the service manager, and they were very relaxed about it. They do plan to have MV Agusta warranty the arm. They figure MV will send a new swingarm assembly. I just hope replacement does not mess anything else up. I also had contacted MV warranty , and got an immediate response. That was very heartening. They of course wanted me to go to my dealer, but at least they got back to me and answered my questions. I have no doubt the issue will be taken care of, but I figured I should get the word out there that "motorcycle art" isn't always pretty. Oh, and by the way, I heard the company is being bought back by the folks who sold it to Harley. Hopes are they will be able to run it better financially the second time around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same problem with my radiator hose on my 2009 Brutale. It was purple and had an uneven look to it when I bought it from the same dealer.
The same here and they replaced it for me at the 600 mile service.[/QUOTE]

My 1078 RR has that funky hose on it. I guess I will ask them to replace that too. I am glad to hear I am not the only one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked the bike over, and my salesman was kind enough to swap out a bad radiator shroud I found. It was all gouged up and appeared to be that way from the factory since the silver paint was over the damaged area and in the grooves of the scratches. Looks like they just don't make them like they used to. I honestly thought the black splotches on the arm were grease that could be cleaned off when I got home. The bike had just been prep'd that day in kind of a rush, so I figured the tech had not taken the time to clean off the grease. Unfortunately, it was in the anodizing. I really feel the tech is to blame for not pointing it out. Oh well, the bike still rides great. The fuel mapping problems are gone, and the throttle is much more forgiving. The seat is also vastly more comfortable. Lots of good things to say about the bike for sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Brutalian,

I'm happy to hear it will be all worked out one way or the other. Thanks for the update. And I have to say, you seem to have a great attitude despite this issue you've experience. Again, I'm happy for you. Take Care.

PS: I have to say that when all is said and done, the only thing that would be uglier then the discoloration would be that stupid grin on your face when you're speeding down the highway. LOL. Have fun and stay safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts