MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cruising around in the hills above LA in the twisties. Middle of a corner, going super slow in traffic, the front end goes. Full on loss of the front end complete with the wheel turned into the corner. I tried to keep my throttle hand as steady as possible and let the bike do its thing. Suddenly, the bike stood straight up and I cruised off. Now my question: did the TC see a sudden change in lean angle and bring the throttle way off in an attempt to cause a mini high side? Or did i just manage to stay relaxed enough and the bike decided it wanted to not fall over.

When I came around the corner I noticed a truck on the side of the road that was pouring out some sort of liquid.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was suspect since it was the front wheel that went. Obviously it doesnt have control over the front wheel so I wondered if maybe the rear end also started to slide from the liquid on the road from the truck. Or perhaps I just hit a liquid patch and before the bike went down I hit a dry patch and the bike regained traction.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There is something to be said for keeping things steady in the event of slides. In the end, it's all a matter of luck and having the room and time to recover. Glad to hear you didn't go down.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would say pure luck with a bit of nice riding !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm going to give kudos to the rider on that one. TC helps when you're ham fisted with the throttle. The event you described is all about doing the right thing as a rider.

I had a very similar situation a few years agin on my gen2 Tuono. Turned right onto an on ramp to accelerate onto the highway. Leaned over half way through the turn BOTH the font and rear tires let go and the bike slides a good three feet, catches traction, gives me a wobble then proceeds. I was yelling at myself inside my helmet, "Don't chop the throttle, don't chop the throttle!!!"

Half way down the on ramp, after I'm upright, I notice a Harley pulled to the side dumping oil.

Good on you for doing what needed to be done!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm going to give kudos to the rider on that one. TC helps when you're ham fisted with the throttle. The event you described is all about doing the right thing as a rider.

I had a very similar situation a few years agin on my gen2 Tuono. Turned right onto an on ramp to accelerate onto the highway. Leaned over half way through the turn BOTH the font and rear tires let go and the bike slides a good three feet, catches traction, gives me a wobble then proceeds. I was yelling at myself inside my helmet, "Don't chop the throttle, don't chop the throttle!!!"

Half way down the on ramp, after I'm upright, I notice a Harley pulled to the side dumping oil.

Good on you for doing what needed to be done!!!!
So, best advice. If you spot a Harley, slow down. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better advice:

If you spot a harley speed up and get away from it as fast as possible since "I had to lay 'er down" is a valid reason to stop the motorcycle in an emergency situation. Keeping in mind that a corner constitutes an emergency situation for most harley riders.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Case and point...this is an actual story told by one of the guys on adv rider:

" Just after 'Nam, I was riding my red, white and blue '72 Super Glide to a Iron Butterfly concert in Spokane. I had her wide open through Montana and as I came up on a stop light on a rural highway I thought I could make it through the yellow.....that's when I realized the Catholic school bus at the light was going to come across the intersection so I laid her down to save the nuns and children from my 700lbs of American iron. The EMTs patched me up and the only thing broken on the Superglide was my front brake handle which was cool because I only use my rear brake. Anyhow, I still made it on time and Ron Bushy was so messed up he forgot the drum solo during Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida....I was bummed."

·
Registered
639 Posts
Better advice:

If you spot a harley speed up and get away from it as fast as possible since "I had to lay 'er down" is a valid reason to stop the motorcycle in an emergency situation. Keeping in mind that a corner constitutes an emergency situation for most harley riders.
:):):):)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts