MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another reason why Ducati's 8 bike "team" may backfire is that at least for the rider's championship Bagnaia, Martin, Zarco, Bastianini, Miller are competing against each other and therefore divvying up the points. It may work for the manufacturer's championship though. Personally I hope Aprilia fill the grid spots opened up by Suzuki's exit. And they lure Marquez senior away from Honda. In my dreams.....
Surprised to hear you report that Ducati's MotoGP effort is low on budget. I am sure you are correct but it doesn't look that way with the sea of red outfits in the garage.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
hi Triple , Ducati is very popular so they get alot of outside sponsorship . Example : Mooney bouught there bikes and support from Ducati . And you are correct Ducati riders will be taking off each other . Ducati will not run 8 bikes ever again = no real upside .
No testing has been killing all the manufacturers . >Honda didnt want more testing when they where not updating bike .Now they have new bike which is the worst handling bike in MotoGP yet again and now they are on board .
No testing has risen engineering costs 400% being its done on paper/speculating = very inefficient so manufactures had to hire many more engineers to do same job in such a short period of time . And it still doesnt get the job done . The factory gp22 hybrid had NO pre season testing as Ducati ran out of time . All mapping done while racing . Amazing they got it sorted at all

Hondas new engine has too heavy a flywheel but being engines are sealed they cant work on until next year . Yamaha same situation

Ducati has the best engineers in Motogp (race engine rechnology award for engineering ) So they make the best bikes they just have needed good riders . Hopefully all gets sorted and they take 3rd consecutive constructors title and a new riders title

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ducati has the best engineers in Motogp ... So they make the best bikes
In MotoGP, Ducati is peerless when finding the limits of boundaries/rules (aero, holeshots, shapeshifters, etc), including this week's expose...outed for cheating the tire pressure regulation to gain a racing advantage.

Cheating the tire pressure is a gentleman's agreement among the teams, which currently has no enforcement when infracted. Only known internally, until...

Mat Oxley's expose [10 May 2022]:

MotoGP statement [12 May 2022]:

Purely academic, but how much would have Bagnaia's Ducati with higher-performing illegal tire pressure contribute to his recent 0.285-second victory over Quartararo's Yamaha, who maintained legal tire pressure?

The old adage: "If you're not cheating, you're not winning" :)

[the leaked not-for-public tire pressure report that is shared among the teams...yes, the teams know who are cheating]
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Line

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well that makes a mockery of monobrow’s response - that the sensors are not always correct, and that the techs set the tire pressures based on how they think the race tactics will play out.
The inference being that the tyre pressure goes up when following someone. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
MVF... Quateraro was under tire pressure for entire Portamao race . Should your beloved Yamaha be penalized for cheating ??? Or only Ducat because they have the best bike in motogp ? No as its no cheating because in both cases a 1/10th bar DOES NOT gain a performance advantage and its not done on purpose . Its actually for safety as no one wants tire pressure too high = dangerous.
Ducati doesnt cheat they just have the best engineering department in motogp .. This isnt just my opinion . thats the opinion of the expert MotoGP analysts who are at the tracks , in the paddocks talking the the crew chiefs . ARE YOU BETTER THAN THEY ARE?

Rev you are correct. Its a guesstimate as many factors change tire temps . speed, sun light even asphate abration effects tire temp .
No scandal just a tech issue . MSMA saying next year everyone uses same sensors . Michelin will test /set pressure.They have best tools and are the experts anyway =easy fix

I do not get why someone hates a Manufacture for making the best bikes or a rider because he has the most talent ?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I remember going to AMA Superbike races in the mid to late '00's. Suzuki did really well with Mladin and Spies. And it seemed like track days were filled with GSXR-1000's - had several friends with '05 GSXR-1000 - seemed to be such a popular choice for track riding.

I guess sportbike / superbike sales in general have continued to tumble in the last 5-10 years, and least in the US. As I looked recently at ADV bikes, Suzuki's V-Strom 1000 and 650 just seem to be behind so many competitors like the Yamaha Tenere, Honda Africa Twin, KTM Adventure, BMW GS, etc. With ADV bikes seemingly outselling sportbikes in a big way, maybe Suzuki is going to finally put some emphasis on replacing the current V-Strom with some contenders.

I predicted a while back that MotoAmerica's recent success with the Bagger series would open their minds up to considering a real ADV series that would be different to MX, and give the big ADV bikes a space in which to race on Sunday and sell on Monday. Oh well, just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hi Italia 2005 was 17 years ago . Times change . When Aprilia/ BMW came out with next level Superbikes they surpassed the japanese and never looked back . Euro superbikes have beaten Japanese Superbikes in comparisons For 14 years strait . 1st 2nd and 3rd place for 14 years!!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Thank you Roehr for your date math. I was merely sharing my opinion and recollections. Super bikes and sport bikes are a dying breed in the consumer world. Times do change

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I remember going to AMA Superbike races in the mid to late '00's. Suzuki did really well with Mladin and Spies. And it seemed like track days were filled with GSXR-1000's - had several friends with '05 GSXR-1000 - seemed to be such a popular choice for track riding.

I guess sportbike / superbike sales in general have continued to tumble in the last 5-10 years, and least in the US. As I looked recently at ADV bikes, Suzuki's V-Strom 1000 and 650 just seem to be behind so many competitors like the Yamaha Tenere, Honda Africa Twin, KTM Adventure, BMW GS, etc. With ADV bikes seemingly outselling sportbikes in a big way, maybe Suzuki is going to finally put some emphasis on replacing the current V-Strom with some contenders.

I predicted a while back that MotoAmerica's recent success with the Bagger series would open their minds up to considering a real ADV series that would be different to MX, and give the big ADV bikes a space in which to race on Sunday and sell on Monday. Oh well, just my thoughts
Would be great to see the Tenere replaced or redesigned. The bagger series is a joke and only interesting in America.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yes, clearly the bagger series is not targeting those of us in US or elsewhere who are long term sport bike racing fans, but MotoAmerica are wise to try to bring in new fans as the base of superbike racing fans is stagnating. They also now have a 'Super Hooligan' class that includes mid-size bikes sold with standard handlebars.

A US-based ADV bike racing series that include both track and off-road races would be a logical next step in broadening MotoAmerica's reach to underserved moto riders, and would be an interesting test of riders in both Enduro/Dakar style and road course racing.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Talking about racing classes, I have always loved the original super bike class as it was in Oz during the Crosby days - naked bike, straight bars, way too much power for crappy tyres, ridden by guys who were serious about having fun.
The closest I can see these days is Tsukuba (spelling?).

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rumour, Mir off to Aprilia. He will win on that bike 🤩. I think it suits him more than the Honda but I thought he would have gone to Honda for the team.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts