MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just look for a good book on the topic. Nothing to tricky, lots of pictures and a coloring section in the back would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
got the suspension setting done on my Brutale today - HUGE difference - no more fighting with the bike.... !!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
" Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt.
Also download the older bikes manuals from here - http://my.agusta.us/ - to help you sort the fiddly bit's out.

:jsm:

From: http://www.bullpublishing.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=103

"Our friend and author Andrew Trevitt suffered serious injuries and was paralyzed in an accident caused by a motorist making an illegal U-turn on the Angeles Crest Highway in Southern California. You can help Andrew by buying a signed copy of his book at his site, http://getwelltrev.blogspot.com/ . Through his blog you can also follow his daily progress through rehab and offer your support and encouragement."

This is what happened with me and my F4, but thankfully not as serious ! (someone of a higher authority was watching me that day...)

(Get better soon Andrew ! :yo:)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+10

Thanks for sharing Glen
I was wondering who was the biggest idiot on the forum just a minute ago, don't worry, I am pretty sure Kawi just won that prize :naughty:.
That is a book well worth having, and I will buy another one just to support the bloke, and maybe give it to one of the new blokes at the track.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is standard factory settings for compression & rebound front & rear good enough for the track?

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Suspenders!!

Is standard factory settings for compression & rebound front & rear good enough for the track?
It all really depends just how good you are on a bike and if you understand what the bike is doing!!

For most people 'yes' provided you have set it up for your own weight, just be real and if you are like 250lbs with all your gear on obviously you don't want the settings set to soft.

Put a cable tie around one of your fork legs and see how much dive you get under hard braking by seeing how far it moves down the leg. Obviously if its right at the bottom all the time you need to dial a little more pre-load in.

Neither the back or the front suspenders are massively adjustable as they are only standard. and in all honesty 2 clicks here and 2 clicks there is all in the mind if you think it really makes any difference.

If the suspension feels soft to you and it squats down a lot under acceleration, make note of the settings as they are now and go 100% hard and then try it. You will learn a lot by going from 100% hard to 100% soft, but from experience I have found that you will learn very little with minute adjustments such as 2 clicks here and 2 clicks there.

There are many articles on the forum about suspension and in my humble opinion books are all well and good but they are only words after all. You need to be able to feel the bike and diagnose in your own mind what is going on.

Often or not the condition of your tires after a few laps will tell you a lot too.

Only piss about with the suspension when you have good top quality rubber back and front, its no good messing with it if the rear tire is flat spotted and the front is triangulated, that is like bashing your head against the wall and you'll never in a month of Sunday's get it right.

:smoking:​

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It all really depends just how good you are on a bike and if you understand what the bike is doing!!

For most people 'yes' provided you have set it up for your own weight, just be real and if you are like 250lbs with all your gear on obviously you don't want the settings set to soft.

Put a cable tie around one of your fork legs and see how much dive you get under hard braking by seeing how far it moves down the leg. Obviously if its right at the bottom all the time you need to dial a little more pre-load in.

Neither the back or the front suspenders are massively adjustable as they are only standard. and in all honesty 2 clicks here and 2 clicks there is all in the mind if you think it really makes any difference.

If the suspension feels soft to you and it squats down a lot under acceleration, make note of the settings as they are now and go 100% hard and then try it. You will learn a lot by going from 100% hard to 100% soft, but from experience I have found that you will learn very little with minute adjustments such as 2 clicks here and 2 clicks there.

There are many articles on the forum about suspension and in my humble opinion books are all well and good but they are only words after all. You need to be able to feel the bike and diagnose in your own mind what is going on.

Often or not the condition of your tires after a few laps will tell you a lot too.

Only piss about with the suspension when you have good top quality rubber back and front, its no good messing with it if the rear tire is flat spotted and the front is triangulated, that is like bashing your head against the wall and you'll never in a month of Sunday's get it right.

:smoking:

Thank you for your guidance - that's tops ! :yo:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for sharing Glen
I was wondering who was the biggest idiot on the forum just a minute ago, don't worry, I am pretty sure Kawi just won that prize :naughty:.
That is a book well worth having, and I will buy another one just to support the bloke, and maybe give it to one of the new blokes at the track.
I just ordered one myself !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts