MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
suspension setting tool, valve shim kit anyone?

is anyone interested in having their own suspension setting tool part# 800093347?

if there is enough interest, i'll have a batch made up......... i bought the factory tool

same thing with valve shim kits. adjusting the valves is easy.....if you have the shims!

again with enough interest i'll have kits made up. i already have a shim kit for myself

please let me know

cheers

Noel-theknurl

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I would like 2 suspension setting tools.

One for me and one for Lee whether he wants one or not.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them smart.

thanks Carl

Noel-theknurl

·
Registered
102 Posts
While I am very interested in this I am going to ask that "new Guy question" of what do you think the cost is going to be to produce these wonderous do-it-your-self items?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I think Noel said if he couldn't get them done for around $75 he would abandon the project.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
For the kind of riding I do my suspension is set up just fine.

I know I'm not smart and don't know anything. But did you have to make it public? Now Cag won't be the only one--------

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
For the kind of riding I do my suspension is set up just fine.

I know I'm not smart and don't know anything. But did you have to make it public? Now Cag won't be the only one--------
Bullshit.

Smarter than most of us here.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I will buy a suspension tool. LMK when and where to send the money.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you, Noel, for having a go at this. I'll go for one of the suspension wondertools too. Pls add me to the list.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Admittedly I know very little about super bike suspension other than the fact that settings are extremely critical to the handling of the bike. I know that sag, preload, spring rate, rebound and compression are all variables which need to be tweaked to suit the rider and how he wants the bike to handle. I do have one book which deals with suspension but my problem is that I don't track or push the bikes hard and as a result don't really have a way to compare and adjust settings. I am sure that even on the street, riding like an old lady, the handling can be improved and if there was a good suspension man close by I'd take them both to him.

I am used to the Neanderthal suspension on HD's which other than being able to set sag and adjust spring rate you get what you get.

So why is a suspension setting tool of such great importance and what does it allow you to set? I've always done sag by just measuring from a fixed point on the tail fairing or tie wraps on the forks. Is that not acceptable?

Anyway, how about educataing and old neophyte. I want it all.

·
Super Moderator
22,860 Posts
... I want it all.

Lee, you can't have it all...at least not all at once...where would you put it?

Noel, you can add me to the "tool" :nerd: list......

·
Administrator
20,771 Posts
So why is a suspension setting tool of such great importance and what does it allow you to set? I've always done sag by just measuring from a fixed point on the tail fairing or tie wraps on the forks. Is that not acceptable?

Anyway, how about educataing and old neophyte. I want it all.
Lee,
It is for setting the ride height after adjusting the chain or working on the rear hub (or just for tuning the suspension).

Provides an accurate repeatable measuring point from the hub to the chassis by extending a horizontal line out from the frame utilizing the engine mount points.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Before you set anything, you should make sure the ride height is correct. Then you set sag, etc. Now, all it would take is someone with the tool to set the ride height with the hub in a specific position, say 6 o'clock. Then take a measurement from the top of the axle or center of the axle to a fixed point on the bike, say the top of the exhaust hangar bolt. They we would all know what that number is and not need the tool.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Thanks fellas. I believe the time has come for me to learn alot more about suspension. So I shall do some reading and digging. The book I have is more for riding techniques than suspension settings. Any recommendations? Just a good basic book that covers the whats and the whys and their results when adjusted. Or a good web site, although the book would be better.

From what I gather the tool is used to set the height to the same base setting, derived from doing all the other stuff, after one has changed sprockets or rotated the hub. Like setting the dial on a caliper to zero so one can always have the correct baseline to set too. That right?

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Thaks for the info. I'll order that book today,
Web site was quite informative. So begins another learning process.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts