MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to say the suspension on my 910s at 460 miles is quite different than how it felt out of the crate - it has broken in quite a bit from the stiffness of 'new' so I'm now going a bit stiffer and have sorted the sag on the front and have increase the rebound, but am still running very little [2 clicks] of compression front and rear - I also backed off the rear ride height to 23mm to get back a bit of stability until I buy a steering damper.
Near me on a back road - There is a great left/right flick up a small hill with a rise just after the right flick that goes up and over before continuing up - [stay with me here] it is a great test of frame and suspension - with my 998 I can get the front airborn 2.5 feet while still leaned over driving out, going up the hill on the torque 7krpms magnificant feeling - SO I do the same 'trick' [bad word] on the Brute and I get a nasty head waggle just when it goes light - not even with air. Yes obviously I'm putting to much imput into the bars but still - a steering damper would really help.

My brakes are really very good now that I have spent the time bedding them in properly - stops from 50,60,70,80,100 mph consistant heat and pad debris collecting on the rotor faces - they are certainly good enough for the street with good feel, initial bite, and power - I like them - on the track may be a different story 6 piston callipers usually fade like mad. I was just wondering if anybody has changed over to brembo 4pad 4piston units with ductile iron rotors - not radially mounted just the calipers on the stock mounting plate? Anybody using a brembo radially mounted brake reservoir yet? which size 19mm?

One of the things I am beginning to really enjoy about this bike is the lack of engine braking on corner turn in - you have to be a bit carefull - reassessing entry speed but man oh man do you ever carry corner speed! wicked, intoxicating, addicting.

This is possibly the most fun, brilliantly designed piece of engineering I have ever come across - talk about a perfection of form and function. except for one thing - the fuel consumption wt hell? wher does all that fuel go??? Airfuel please chime in and explain...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
quacker998 said:
the fuel consumption wt hell? wher does all that fuel go??? Airfuel please chime in and explain...
Nice write up!! Yes, steering dampers, but I have yet to feel a bad wobble.

When you bike gets on the dyno, you will see where the fuel goes!

Pig rich across the range, and yes I can help with a PC but expect no more than 28-32mpg's One guys Brute was getting 18mpg!!!

John T

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John - if it runs sooo rich doesn't the right 13:1 12:1 ?? airfuel ratio go out the window? and wouldn't it run better if adjusted to more common standards? I ask I do not understand. Wouldn't richness cause cylinder wall washing?and cause premature ring wear? I do come into this with my eyes open but it does make me wonder.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a slightly different subject - the earliest Cliffs can get me in for a 600m inspection is the 20 September - after they have sent their techs to MV school - at least I have faith in Steve the mechanic he worked on my 998 at Rockwell and always did a bang up job above and beyond - as soon as they are done I'll wheel it around to you and we can make a map keeping the mid pipe, as before we'll tune mine for driveability!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You are correct on all counts.

Overly rich is bad as it wears out your engine, overly lean causes drivability problems, power loss and heat rises very fast.

On the MV's, (like most other bikes) I target around 13.4 for cruise and 13.0-13.2 for full throttle.
Other tweaks to the fuel map gives smoother on/off throttle transitions.

John T

P.S. Steve and Rob are top wrenches...feel secure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts