MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I wanted to share some developments concerning my new to me ’08 Brutale 910S (Euro 3) I have been scouring all related post and need some advice.

My bike has a surging issue between 6K-7K rpms while trying to cruise on the freeway. I know it’s a known issue with our bikes and is one of its “character flaws.” I have taken the bike to my local dealer and they made a few adjustments (TPS and throttle sync) which did not solve the issue. Further testing determined the bike is running lean at these RPMs. They claim not much else can be done.

Bike has just over 8K pampered miles and the only engine mods are slip on Arrow carbon cans. From my research just adding the cans did not require any software upgrades. I have the opportunity to buy a brand new full MV Corse titanium exhaust w/ race ECU at half price! They told me dumping the Arrows and replacing the entire system should take care of the surging. Aside from getting a really nice OEM exhaust system, I would really like the bike to run smoothly on the freeway. I think the OEM cans are gorgeous but I do prefer the look of the carbon Arrows. Choices!

The second option offered (and the one I actually thought off too) was to get Arrow pre- Euro 3 headers and Euro 3 mid pipe (to drop the anchor) and retain my nice Arrow cans. Any surging issues then can be resolved by getting a Power Commander and dyno tuning. The cost of both recommended fixes are about the same. I put a deposit on the Corse system until I can decide which way to go.

So now, I know some of you may have a 3rd option. (Keeping the bike above 7K rpm on the freeway is not an option I want to use frequently!) It seems there are several fixes for the surging but I’m confused which work for which model year etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have the Arrow setup on my Euro3 910R : headers, decat mid and ti twin cans. Microtec was the answer to my surging and throttle issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the Arrow setup on my Euro3 910R : headers, decat mid and ti twin cans. Microtec was the answer to my surging and throttle issues.
Thanks! Yes Microtech was one of the companies I found to have a fix. Was your fix to just purchase the software/hardware and have someone tune it? Was is it a pug and play fix? Thanks

Looks like Microtech is giving the ECU for free?
http://motocorseperformance.com/nopcommerce/products/93-m226-replacement-ecu-for-mv-f4-my09-brutale-and-d16rr.aspx

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It would have been plug and play had I been technically literate in those things. Also I'm all Mac at home and the Microtec software runs with PC only (as far s I know). It took a while to sort out the mapping but all came good in the end when the guru himself (Chris from XBikes) visited Australia and mapped the thing himself.

Best to contact him directly as he may have suitable standard maps to ship with the gizmo.

·
Registered
825 Posts
M5zealot,

Microtech from Chris at XBikes. Just make sure your tuner (if you need one) is willing to talk to Chris first.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
14,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Highly recommend Microtec and Chris at X-Bikes !! :yo:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Then get one for free.... hahaha.
You're looking in the wrong place mate. Look in the Market Place section here on the forum.
And for what it's worth, the surging is not a character flaw, my 910 had no such issues, neither my 1000R.

You might be able to tune it out with a PC, or you might not.

I would keep those lovely tailpipes and get a decent mid-pipe and headers, ride the bike, and then decide where to go next.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I found the sticky for Chris x81. I have to admit a lot of this stuff is foreign to me. (I also don't have Windows machines - Mac family here) After working on my 95 Ducati for years, plugging a bike into a laptop to fix it is all new to me! :banghead: If I needed to make the engine run rich, I just re-jetted or turned a screw.

So from these recommendations I take it you think I should keep the exhaust I have and fix my issue w/ just a Microtech ECU upgrade right? Getting the MV Corse Titanium system w/ dedicated ECU is a waste of my $$$$?? Any thoughts on this option? (This option may cost much less time and money since I will be installing the system myself minus the ECU tunning. Thanks for all you patience...

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I don't think the Mv Corse Ti system is a waste of time at all, with the race ECU, which you will need to get rid of the lambda sensor it might run fine. It's a great system, so you have a few options there mate.
You can always sell those lovely Arrow tail-pipes you have now.
It's all about the money mate, and how much you want to spend to get what you want or need.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
just a quick reply

I'm flat out busy catching up after two weeks on a course so please excuse this breif reply. Your main choice is on perceived value for money.

If you have the money to try the race ECU, PCIII and see how that goes then great, it will resolve some issues but not all of them IMO, if you later decide you want a Microtec then fine but if you have a limited budget you need to weigh it all up before spending a penny and then be happy with that choice.

Microtecs aren't cheap but they are an all inclusive solution imo and i am constantly tweaking and trying stuff based on feedback so any update si get i'll send out to you free of charge.

If you want to call me then please feel free to do so. My number is +44 (0) 1945 585533

cheers

:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm flat out busy catching up after two weeks on a course so please excuse this breif reply. Your main choice is on perceived value for money.

If you have the money to try the race ECU, PCIII and see how that goes then great, it will resolve some issues but not all of them IMO, if you later decide you want a Microtec then fine but if you have a limited budget you need to weigh it all up before spending a penny and then be happy with that choice.

Microtecs aren't cheap but they are an all inclusive solution imo and i am constantly tweaking and trying stuff based on feedback so any update si get i'll send out to you free of charge.

If you want to call me then please feel free to do so. My number is +44 (0) 1945 585533

cheers

:)

Hey Chris, you may wish to add there could be a time difference between countries...:stickpoke:naughty: Unless of course you want to continue taking calls at 3 am ! :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hey Chris, you may wish to add there could be a time difference between countries...:stickpoke:naughty: Unless of course you want to continue taking calls at 3 am ! :)

Pfft, i'm probably not gonna sleep for most of this week trying to catch up the work i missed on my course so i may well be available at 3am.:wtf:

Good course though, it was my Breathing apparatus course. Hard work but hugely enjoyable. I mostly learnt that dragging a casualty in a compartment on fire and at 550C is really quite difficult and that being in that heat for 15 minutes totally saps you of every ounce of strength you might have.

Great fun though.:yo:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Pfft, i'm probably not gonna sleep for most of this week trying to catch up the work i missed on my course so i may well be available at 3am.:wtf:

Good course though, it was my Breathing apparatus course. Hard work but hugely enjoyable. I mostly learnt that dragging a casualty in a compartment on fire and at 550C is really quite difficult and that being in that heat for 15 minutes totally saps you of every ounce of strength you might have.

Great fun though.:yo:
Yep sure does...I found the breathing takes some getting used to - not to mention low visibility through the facemask and the fact that your body feels like it's 'boiling', without the added extra of dragging someone 'weighing a tonne' in almost zero visibility.

A couple of guys I started training with failed when they panicked, pulled off their masks and ran outside ! :wtf::jsm::eek:nthecan:

Did they also throw in teargas ?

By the way - and here I thought you were on an Advanced Advanced Microtec Course ! :stickpoke:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Gentlemen! First of all, I work graveyard shifts (8 PM to 6 AM) so if you noticed I was writing in the forum between those times....shhhhhh don't tell my boss! :smoking:

At this point my spouse just wants me to be happy and $cost$ is not a big issue. I compromised getting a newer Brutale to a used one and getting the MV Corse (about $1,600.00 discounted) is a consolation price. I already have a couple of local riders interested in the Arrow cans which I really like too.

Again apologize for being a newbie at this but is there a simple explanation why MV didn't get the fueling correct on our bikes? I'm assuming there are bikes out there that have no surging issues from day one right? I read somewhere the issue was caused by trying to meet tough USA emission standards. (the leaner the cleaner) I have friends who ride Japanese bikes and this is always a subject for ridicule when Italian bikes are concerned. :wtf:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
UPDATE - No More Surging -Titanium Bling Content

Thanks for all your suggestions on my surging issue everyone. I decided to go w/ just installing a new Corse exhaust w/ race ECU to try resolving my problem. Some of you predicted this would not solve my surging and will still need a PC 3 or other device. Maybe I got lucky because it was also advised that the bike would run like crap without a tune after install.

I'm happy to report my surging issues have been resolved and the bike is running like a scalded kitty cat!:yo: I rode for about an hour and the bike is performing better than expected. Does anyone know what the rated HP gain is for this kit? Not too concerned about it, just happy it's running great. Taking her to my mechanic tomorrow morning for a check up. Idle is a little high, about 1850 rpms compared to my old system. The Carbon Arrow slip ons are for sale. Clip on Youtube line for sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPRDJcuHcs&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
194 Posts
That looks purdy and good to hear its working out for you.

Out of interest, what crash protectors do you have fitted there?

If you ever consider a Microtec in the future - do so, has worked wonders on my 750.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You are very lucky,how many kilometers are you getting to the tank,the surging is gone thats great,is there any popping happening at all,sounds like it is running perfect.

are you getting any snatchy throttle is it smooth all the way,any on off happening.
cheers eddy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks purdy and good to hear its working out for you.

Out of interest, what crash protectors do you have fitted there?

If you ever consider a Microtec in the future - do so, has worked wonders on my 750.
They are from Rhino Guards a local company here in San Diego. I just got their weighted bar end slider after these pics. About $60 a set. The frame sliders are about $125. They work well since I have had the opportunity to crash test them in the past.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts