MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
djt77 said:
anyone ever though of putting a supercharger on their MV?

Is it even feasible

With enough time, money and ingenuity, anything is feasible.

The real question is why would anyone want to do that?

Its going to destroy the lines of the bike and turn it into some sort of rolling monstrosity, with belts and pulleys and tubes running all over like a late 1980's cadillac.

More importanly it that its been proven again and again the turbos work signifigantly better in small displacement applications, unless its a combination of both turbo and S/C.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
uhh, i think all the biturbo audi's, skylines, supras, V12 benz's, tractor trailers, etc. may disagree with that. maybe you meant the opposite. :toothless:

·
Registered
328 Posts
style_one said:
uhh, i think all the biturbo audi's, skylines, supras, V12 benz's, tractor trailers, etc. may disagree with that. maybe you meant the opposite. :toothless:
Just becuase turbos work well on big engines does not mean they don't work better on small engines than superchargers.

He's right, turbos are much more effective on small high-rpm engines. Superchargers have parasitic loss that is proportional to RPM, which makes them very bad for 13K RPM applications.

·
Registered
822 Posts
style_one said:

No I didnt, and for the record, I already have one mother. I really dont need anyone else to remind me when they think I have made a mistake. :)

I speak from experience, not reading in magazines, or what my buddy told me. My family's motorcycle shop invensted in Aerodyne turbos a few years back. We have 4 personal bikes that are all turbocharged, and believe me, it works great, but really is an eyesore. As far as superchargers, pspearl is right, you need a bit of displacement to compensate for the parasitic loss a traditional, roots type blower will eat up, and they usually work better on low rpm applications. A centrifical supercharger uses less engine power, but it really is a belt driven turbo, and I have never seen one used in a motorcycle application.

Lets take the scientific factor out of the equation, where are you going to put a roots type blower on a motorcycle with a downdraft fuel injection set up and a traditional fuel tank like the f4? I guess you could put a tiny little 10 oz fuel tank under the riders seat, or you could just carry around a backpack full of petrol with a garden hose/petcock set up and squirt it into the air intake as needed.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i didn't interpret what you wrote as turbo's worked better than S/C's on small displacement engines. it read to me as you were saying turbo's were better on small displacement engines than on larger cc ones. the reason for my statement.

in terms of placed on f4, that doesn't make any logical sense. i can't even imagine a roots blower on a boss hoss....but that's MY imagination.

ps. you left a BIG hole for a "mother" joke, but i'll let it pass. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts