MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
F3 675 '17

First of I wanna say I usually ride with earplugs in and might've not notice this before and it is the most normal thing ever.
I tried the advanced search and people talk about a whistle sound, but thats related to the gas cap and pressure in the fueltank. This sounds to be different.

So I took a ride yesterday afternoon and after engine was propperly warmed up 5km into the ride I suddenly noticed a sound which looked to be from the internal in the engine that worried me a bit.
When going on the throttle it gave this supercharger sound like the kawasaki H2. It wasnt as loud as the H2 but you could hear it through my HJC RPHA11 helmet going 50km/h.(30mp/h) Only when going on throttle and steady riding.
Rolling off throttle and with pulling in the clutch it was gone.
Engine behaved as normal, fast, no power loss it all felt normal and good as usually and the 60km ride was a blast.

Few things to know. Oil is 3000km/almost 2 years old. Same goes for Coolant. Fuel is 5 months old but fuel tank cap never been opened during winter months.
First thing that comes to mind is the old fuel since the sound is only happening when on throttle and pressure is being build up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Best of luck. Hope it isn't anything serious. Every bike has sounds that sometimes get our attention. :wink2:

When we heard this sound on Ducati's it was usually because the bike fell on the left while running, jammed the shift lever and then scored the flywheel gear. Instant supercharger sound.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the F3 makes mechanically alot of sound when started up. Didn't noticed it during idle though so can't comment on that.

Bike hasn't been dropped. Stood still for roughly 5 months in storage but has been turned on and kept running every other week.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a ride without plugs in again, "the sound" was there again. So I stopped and put the earplugs in and could still hear it but softer obviously.

But now I also start questioning myself. What if it was always there but never really took notice of it.
My father also filmed me riding by and he said he coudnt hear it on video nor when I rode by. I took a video while riding myself and it is noticeable(better with headset)

2 to 4 seconds
6 to 10 seconds
20 to 27 seconds

Would be nice if a fellow F3 owner could tell me this is normal, or im sitting on a ticking timebomb xD
Again, engine doesnt give signs of power loss or weird behavior.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
That intermittent whine doesn't sound normal to me.

It does sound like something is rubbing on a high speed part.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Im just throwing in some things to think/talk about

Could it be that I need to adjust my clutch cable, that the clutchplates arent gripping enough? Oil to old and not lubricating the transmission good enough anymore?
im reading stuff about "straight cut gears" known for a whine sound when applying throttle.

EDIT: youtube link with transmission whine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm having a hard time hearing the noise or understanding it. Only think I got for yah is that I have what sounds like a hollow internal sound somedays before the oil heats up, easiest to hear at a stop. Once the oil heats up that sound goes away. This also occurs when gas has been sitting in the tank for over a week. Could this be the same thing? Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Whatever the issue. Take it to your dealer and get it checked. That stuff is $$$$.....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm having a hard time hearing the noise or understanding it. Only think I got for yah is that I have what sounds like a hollow internal sound somedays before the oil heats up, easiest to hear at a stop. Once the oil heats up that sound goes away. This also occurs when gas has been sitting in the tank for over a week. Could this be the same thing? Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Oil is warmed up. Engine is warmed up.
Did a 60km ride on sunday so it had plenty of time to get to operating temperature. It isnt cold oil thats for sure.

Also in neutral or pulling in the clutch the whine sound goes away.
Reading articles here and there, im thinking it might have something to do with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You should change the oil and filter annually irrespective of the mileage anyway. At 2 years its well past the change by date. Will give you a chance to inspect the magnetic drain plug and see if any steel is stuck there.

If you are frequently starting your bike in the garage and not riding like you mentioned, then you should be changing the oil a lot more frequently than once a year as this is considered "heavy use". The engine doesn't get up to temperature for long enough to burn the moisture and volatiles that accumulate in the oil from the cold start. This adds up over time reducing the performance of the oil.

Id first start with an oil change and also inspect the chain and sliders. A loose clutch pressure plate will result in slipping, but isnt noticeable from a noise point of view.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Has the cam chain tensioner been adjusted? Judging from it sitting in the cold I'm thinking it adjusted to the tightest setting and you are now experiencing the noise when the engine is running the quietest. The sound may always be there but other sounds get louder and make it imperceivable.

You can get a basic idea on the cam chain tension by removing the left side engine cover which houses the alternator. See if chain has tension. Move the crank (clockwise only) and check the tension in many places. If you don't have any movement in the chain at any place the chain has adjusted to full tightness. If that is the case I would follow the instructions on chain tensioner adjustment so that it is loose again rather than overtightened.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
This isn't due to "old oil".

This isn't due to "old fuel".

This isn't cam chain noise.

Two questions: What was the last thing done to the bike before the noise appeared?

On which side of the bike is the noise predominate?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two questions: What was the last thing done to the bike before the noise appeared?

On which side of the bike is the noise predominate?
Last thing done before it "appeared" is storing the bike. The casual start the bike to get fluids to temperature till fan kicks in.

And noise comes from center of the bike directly underneath me. It isnt more on left or right side. So i'd say underneath gas tank.
Transmission is mounted there.
(added drawing)

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Chuck is right. It isn't any of that stuff.

I'd pull the clutch cover off and completely disassemble & carefully inspect the complete clutch assembly. Could be something is loose, cracked, broken and/or rubbing. There are a number of straight cut gears behind there, the clutch drive gear, oil pump, balance shaft, etc that could have something touching them. Look for burrs, scoring and/or a cracked or broken tooth. The issue may not be easy to spot. If everything on the clutch side is checks out okay.

THEN personally I'd pull the trans assembly out and inspect it since you are doing this work already. If you've never done it, get a service manual. It isn't difficult. It is basically one assembly that pulls out the left side of the engine.

The F3 is really a bullet proof engine aside from the two well known supplier/vendor based problem - dodgy sprag clutch and valve spring issues that must to be addressed if you race one of these.

I highly recommend that with the MV triple you change oil often, use good quality oil, change the oil filter every time, get a magnetic drain plug, a new crush washer every time, and not required but you may consider using a quality proven oil additive if you run the engine very hard (Liqui Moly Cera, Microlon, Micro Moly etc.)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to mention that I've been watching multiple videos on youtube. Test rides and vlogs what have you not.
The sound is similar and can be heard. Not as "loud" as on my bike. And after paying attention at around 7K rpm is seems to lose the sound in these videos. In my clip I posted on Page 1 it also loses the sound around that RPM range.

Videos:
Brutale (0:10 seconds in), noticeable sound. Similar volume. (also good at 0:50 seconds)

F3 5 minutes in video. Sound is there only way lower in volume.

F3 (3:10 minutes in video) sound is there only way lower in volume

Now Chuck you said it has nothing to do with the oil. Yesterday evening I was reading that old oil can turn acidic over time when the oil doesnt reach its proper operating temperature and starts to cool down again it cant lose the moisture.
It also said it 'could' do wear on the finish of the material.

Is this just my own fault for not doing the propper maintenance and now it might've affected the finish and the "whine"/"sound" is louder on my bike than propper maintained bikes. (could also just be audio/microphone quality)
Cause after propperly listening to these videos. It sounds like its actually a normal "whine" I geuss among the F3's.

*all this drama im creating for not wearing earplugs...?!?!:bash:
Like to hear opinion from you guys if sounds in video, sound similar to the clip I sended in.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd pull the clutch cover off and completely disassemble & carefully inspect the complete clutch assembly. Could be something is loose, cracked, broken and/or rubbing. There are a number of straight cut gears behind there, the clutch drive gear, oil pump, balance shaft, etc that could have something touching them. Look for burrs, scoring and/or a cracked or broken tooth. The issue may not be easy to spot. If everything on the clutch side is checks out okay.

THEN personally I'd pull the trans assembly out and inspect it since you are doing this work already. If you've never done it, get a service manual. It isn't difficult. It is basically one assembly that pulls out the left side of the engine.
Will keep this in mind, and look if needed. :smile2:

·
Registered
926 Posts
If it was mine out of interest i would drop the oil and replace the filter, then see if the oil contains any particles that should not be present, you do get a little but mostly its fine powder that sticks to the magnetic sump plug? Agree oil would not cause the noise, something else would.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
While I agree that oil can become acidic during use, and your practice of starting the bike for several minutes every-so-often while in storage does nothing good for your bike, I would be willing to bet that if you took your oil in for analysis it would be just fine...unless you use shit oil.

I would probably change the oil just for good measure and use a proper viscosity high quality all synthetic brand. Fro reference, I use AmsOil.

Listening to all of the videos again, I do believe you are hearing induction noise and normal engine noise. New GOOD oil can quiet things down.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the recommended oil that is said in the owners/engine manual: Agip Eni I-ride 5w40 & I took a Hi-Flo oil filter.

Oil change ASAP! And ill take pictures off the magnetic plug. Im no expert and sure as hell dont know what is right or wrong.
I'll take a ride with the new oil and will come back to it. If sound increased/decreased in volume or stayed the same I'll let you guys know.
@EVO Chris : I might've explained it wrong. Or wasnt clear enough.
What I meant and read is that when oil goes bad, it ofcourse loses its quality in lubrication and the chemicals in the old oil "could" affect the teeth on the gearbox and friction inbetween the teeth during riding which in return increases sound coming from the gearbox/transmission.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts