MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressions From Misano
Riding either of the new MV Brutales, two things are immediately apparent. The first impression is that both machines are noticeably easier to control. MV's engineers have addressed previous concerns regarding instant throttle responsiveness with their new Mikuni throttle system and electronics. The results have dramatically softened the engine's reaction to initial throttle opening. Gone is the previous and non-adjustable snap when opening the throttle, now replaced by a much more linear reaction. The Brutale's softened acceleration and ability to quickly pick up speed is a welcome new character trait, and the improvements are due to the changes made with fuel supply, electronics, and cush-drive modifications. The second, and equally obvious, improvement is delivered in stability--namely turning, stability under braking, and the chassis response to bumps and rider inputs. MV's improvements to the Brutale's geometry now have the motorcycle even easier to ride quickly, as turning and braking are delivered with increased stability and control. Riding at Misano, both machines were responsive, and even with the high bar placement and lack of a fairing's wind protection, they were easy to control and stable at all speeds. At mid-corner, or when dialing the throttle from mid-corner on out, the engines gained revs powerfully, but in a controlled and linear fashion, with or without the intervention of traction control.
Two new updates that are almost transparent and worked exceptionally well were Traction Control and shifting. On either model, the latest electronics were flawless. Because our track time at Misano was limited, and damaging both soft and hard parts was in no one's best interest, Soup chose to rely upon the anti-spin settings that MV's engineers had selected for the day. The new system would intervene so subtly during corner-exiting drives that our best description was, at the point of wheel spin, the TC reaction felt as if we were slightly dragging the rear brake. As designed, we never experienced a sudden loss of rear wheel traction, and it actually made the Brutales easy to control near the limits of tire adhesion and overall, inspiring to ride.
MV's other significant update is an entirely new shifting mechanism. For us, the advantage gained in shift leverage with the new parts was not nearly as apparent as the other advances but, again, we did not ride last year's models for a direct comparison. We can say that, although the Brutale's shifting was positive, it still required a fair amount of both effort and pedal movement, especially when the engines were under high-rpm engine loads.
On the track, differences between the new models were not as obvious as one might expect. Yes, the 1090RR produced more power, but the 990R felt slightly more agile. Both machines were fitted with different tires and, here, the newest Dunlop Qualifier RR had the edge with side grip and feedback. We also appreciated the 1090RR's slipper clutch, steering damper, and upgraded suspension, but the 80cc deficit between models was not terribly obvious. We left Misano with the strong opinion that, in every aspect, the new Brutales are much-improved motorcycles. MV Agusta continues to offer an attractive array of performance upgrades—from full-carbon-fiber bodywork to a fully open Arrow exhaust system—but even in completely stock trim, the bikes don't really need a lot of added bling.
The new MV Brutales are among the epitome of naked sportbikes—truly the perfect standard for what this generation's unfaired sporting motorcycles should be. They are thoroughly exotic, with a new level of performance, an unrivaled degree of fit and finish, and Italian styling like no other.
So, if you like your sportbikes a little wild, yet also refined, the new MV Brutale 990R and 1090RR are dressed to thrill.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wow that is an awesome awesome review! THanks for that post! Interesting to read about the full carbon bodywork option! As a carbon whore that is always appealing!

·
Living the Dream
2,759 Posts
Thank you for that post, glad to see they finally got it right, and pulled their heads out of the asses at the magazines!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I read the 3 threads that you posted. They're very interesting. I can't wait to put my hands on the new brutale. After reading all of that I have a doubt in my head. I read that they they lost a lot of weight from different parts of the bike, but why the new models are heavier?

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts