MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the Suomy Extreme helmet line. Does anyone have a Spec 1R or Extreme that they can share their thoughts/opinios on before I buy one. Thanks. I currently wear a Shark RSR2 (solid silver) and love it but I though a 2nd helmet with wild graphics might be nice.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I basically copy/pasted this from another thread here on this forum about my thoughts on the Suomy...

I can tell you, if you have a Suomy, YOU NEED EARPLUGS. I dunno how sensitive you ears are, but if I go on any ride over 15 minutes, my ears are ringing from the wind noise when I get to where I'm going. It's NOT because of the ventilation like people are saying. It's the physical design of the helmet. Wear a hooded sweater so it bunches up around the helmet underside and you'll notice it's TONS quieter.

But, the noisiest thing about it, are the shield plates. Put your hand over the plates at speed, and you literally goto ZERO wind noise even without the sweater. With the sweater, literally, you can hear your ears ring it's DEAD silent. The helmet is very aerodynamic, and those sideplates catch the wind so much, but the rest of the helmet is spot on.

Also, don't get the helmet if you don't have a round head. Suomy's fit PERFECT for people with round heads.

The weight...meh, you don't really notice the differences when it's sitting on your head initially. But you DO notice it when you goto turn you head, like when you change lanes and look over your shoulder. You definitly notice it's ALOT lighter. Otherwise, you'de only notice it on long rides....after you get rid of your ears ringing.

The lining, when I went back to back with an Arai RX77 RR and a Shoei X11, the liners felt like sandpaper on your face in comparison to the alcantra lining of the Suomy. No joke, it was that much rougher feeling when back to back.

But, before I got my Suomy, I had a cheapy $130 KBC Force RR. With teh windshield up and open, and all the vents open, it was STILL quieter than my Suomy with the shield down.....no joke...and it was REMARKABLY quieter with the shield OPEN. That's how noisy this damn helmet is.

The graphics are second to none though. You can see how they layer the decals over the already detailed paint. It's insane. Even if the helmet sucked, the artwork is worth it. I get compliments on my helmet everyday. I even once got asked, "does you bike match that helmet??" :laughing:

Arai's feel REALLY solid. Suomy's do to, but in a hollow kinda way. No doubt because of it's weight. The quietest helmet out of ANY helmet though is an X11. Shoei has thier own windtunnel, so it's no wonder as to why. But yeah, the Suomy is loud.

-------------

I recently wore my KBC Force RR because my helmet liner was drying from cleaning it last night, and the KBC is much quieter. Although, it seals for bullocks. I was getting all sorts of wind leakage through the shield and various parts. I could really tell cause it was 28 degrees this morning when I went to work and I could feel the super cold wind peering through.

Also, the physical wind design of the Suomy is MUCH better. My head wasn't bobbing all over the place or lifting at higher speeds, and even when crouched down, the Suomy is MUCH MUCH smoother and aerodynamic.

But back to back, Suomy anyday over any helmet out there.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Oval shaped, you may be better suited towards and X11. Earplugs do do the trick however. I wear plugs, and now can't stand riding without them, regardless of helmet.

The X11 should suit you fine. Although on the scale, it says the X11 is lighter, I dunno, it felt heavier to me...

·
Registered
208 Posts
speed addict cycles 805-218-9374. I just bought a spec 1r for 375.00 to my door. the helmet is nice and light and the graphics are great' I didn't notice any more noise than my arai or agv. I'm glad I didn't pay full retail because the front vent is kinda cheesy-you couldn't operate it with gloves and almost cant bare handed. as stated above the lightness does make it feel cheap/different. VAN p.s. I purchased the hodgson laguna 07

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The front vents I think are the only quality issue. Mine is fairly hard to operate and is uber stiff, although, I went into a Cycle Gear and the resistance varied GREATLY from helmet to helmet....it was kinda unnerving. I'm glad mine was one of the harder ones to operate.

But yeah, with gloves...the front chin vent is fairly hard to operate...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I love my Spec 1R (it's not an extreme).
Only issue I had was the coating coming off the original iridium visor, but the dealer traded me for a smoked.

·
Registered
208 Posts
another thing I like is the outside diameter seems small. smaller then my agv and arai. although I can force my chin out in this helmet and touch the inside chin area. VAN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts