378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one do you suggest?
.....or even something else......
Thanx

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Those two are not quite in sync.... The XR1000 is not the top of the line shoei, instead check the X-11 I think it is called, X-Spirit in the UK.

I've got all three of those actually. And the Arai Astro J or something as well, which is more about the same level as the XR1000.

None are bad. The RX7 and X11 have better ventilation. I like the X-11 the best as far as comfort goes. At the moment, the RX7 has a dark visor, so I use it for short day rides. Prefer the Shoei visor system, but that is very subjective. I always wear ear plugs, so can't tell you which ones are louder than the others, but I seem to think the Arai's are a bit louder. They also seem to whistle a bit when the visor is up.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I've got two X11's, and one RX7. The RX7 is noticeably lighter, and quite a bit noisier than the Shoei. Both are very high quality helmets. Fit and finish are similar. The Shoei face shield is easier to change. I'm pretty sure that the street price on the Shoei is a few dollars less than the Arai. Finally, pick the helmet that fits your noggin best.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the feedback. What i don't like much about the x11 is the front side; seems like a bit too thick (the side in the front of mouth). Instead i like more the shape of the xr1000.
But aesthetics aside, what i like is a very silent helmet.........Randarosa you say that Arai is a bit noisier.......hope not much. I had in past a quantum and i was sorrounded by whispers!
Any other comments about noise?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I got yesterday, after a decade of Arai RX7, my AGV Ti-Tech Agostini. Phantastic helmet, quiter than all my Arai's. Very comfy, excelent fit. I'm really thrilled.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Riki...usually the better the vent system=more noise. If keeping your head cool is important, buy the X11 or RX7 and a set of ear plugs.

For me an X11 is a perfect fit which I can not even get close to in an RX7.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
i also have a pair of X-11s. great helmet. personally, the Arai doesn't fit on my head and the Shoei is very comfortable. It's also pretty quiet and it keeps my dome nice and cool. but like Randy said, get the one that fits YOU the best.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Seems like the Shoei is the one.....yes, i will try both and decide as for what you say they have a very similar standard.
About AGV: they used to make great helmets but a few years ago they moved their plants to China and for some users product lost a lot of quality. I really don't know if it's true but sure that a top line AGV costs as a good Shoei/Arai produced in Japan.......
PS: ttech Ago is very nice

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
AGV Ti-Tech Agostini. Phantastic helmet
+1!

I have hree RX-7's and two ToTech's, one of those the Ago replica (not yet worn).

Apart from the difference in fit (what fits you depends on your head shape mostly) I recently found that opening (that's the part you view the outside world from...) on the RX-7's is noticeably lower than the TiTech's, with both helmets in a comfortable, natural feeling position on your head.

You wouldn't notice that on a Brutale or similar as you're sitting in a more upright position, but on the F4 the difference is really obvious; the view is simply better on the AGV. Big plus for the TiTech.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had an RX7 & just bought AGV GP Tech Rossi "Dreamtime" - beautiful Aboriginal design - the one that pissed off Casey at Philip island last year !

interior finish of the AGV is superior to the Arai IOM, a lot plusher - although i find the popper for hooking up the flapping chinstrap a bit awkward to get at....

Again, like Mike4Black said, the visor apperture on the Arai is lower, I found myself kinda tilting my head back with the AGV for the first few rides, at first the opening appeared smaller with the AGV, but is actually fine now I'm used to it

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've been an Arai user for a few years now, they are quite noisey but I use earplugs when I ride anyway, they are light, ventilation is good and I'll probably buy another when it comes time to renew my present lid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ve got both....any time i ride the ARAI is by far the best.....
And imagine wearing them both standing the SHOEI seemed to have a better fit...noway this is happening on the road.
Both me and my woman wear the same size, SMALL, and the SHOEI makes the back of our ears pain after 40km or so.

I am about to buy a new one and just the other day tried the PREMIER full carbon-titanium one. It weighs at 1.040 grams!!!!! And it has the best inside ever tried on!!! Truly like silk. The problem is i have yet to find someone to tell me how it is while riding..

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ve got both....any time i ride the ARAI is by far the best.....
And imagine wearing them both standing the SHOEI seemed to have a better fit...noway this is happening on the road.
Both me and my woman wear the same size, SMALL, and the SHOEI makes the back of our ears pain after 40km or so.

I am about to buy a new one and just the other day tried the PREMIER full carbon-titanium one. It weighs at 1.040 grams!!!!! And it has the best inside ever tried on!!! Truly like silk. The problem is i have yet to find someone to tell me how it is while riding..
Watch out about Premier. I was interested in this helmet too but seller told me that it's not really carbon fiber; it's just the finish. I liked the interior too, but seems that it's the better part of the helmet.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made a small reserch on prices here in Italy:
- The Shoei x-11 is imported with the name x-spirit and it's quite more expensive than the Arai xr7 (about 150/200 euros difference)
- Arais price range between 400/500 euros
- AGV Ti-Tech around 400 euros

The one i like the most it's maybe the Shoei xr1000 (same price range as rx7) specially the Diabolik graphics and the Tamada replica.

·
Administrator
20,103 Posts
I have a couple of Shoei R1000s, an Arai RX-7 and Quantum II, and a new Bell Star.

The Shoei's are the quietest, and they are nice helmets (and least expensive). The Arai's are very comfortable and high quality but a bit noisier then the Shoei. The Bell Star is the lightest helmet I have ever owned. The ventilation is almost too good which may explain why it is the noisiest (but I wear ear plugs most of the time, so no deal breaker), and the shield is the easiest to change of any helmet on the market.

In cold weather the Bell Star air flow, even with the vents closed, is a bit more then I want. But in the summer heat, it is wonderful.

And it comes with a really high quality storage and carrying bag (with spare shield sleeve), and an extra set of cheek pads in a different density to allow you to custom fit a little bit.

I can recommend it highly.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I like the fit of the Shoei X11 better that the other big names, but then again I have a really long narrow head. I am really interested to try on the Schubert R1 or S1carbon...If I could get one in this country:bawling:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts