MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, it is no longer stuck....but after the usual level of anxiety that ensues after trying to (unsuccessfully) remove the nut to fit a hugger (prior to going to the TT) I finally tracked down a friendly, local truck mechanic who rattled it off with a 1" drive beast of an impact wrench.....5 seconds to do something that I had been jumping on for weeks! Threads are perfect and reasonably well lubricated. Conical part of nut/wheel also lubricated...both with what smells like CV grease. No signs of damage or scoring on any surfaces.

Now, I have been reading various threads this evening and want to ask what grease/anti-seize others have used? I have read that the manual states only to lubricate the first few threads and NOT to lubricate the conical part of the nut or the wheel as the applied torque figure stated is calculated using minimal lubrication and liberal application will potentially increase residual load....hence the 'stuck nut syndrome'....! I was intending on using regular / all purpose moly grease but as I work for a bolting company, I also have access to a very low torque coefficient moly paste, though for this application I don't think there will be a huge benefit.

I don't fancy having to pound on my bike with a 1000 ft/lbs of torque every time I want to take the wheel off for OCD level cleaning so wanted to also see what others were doing to prevent or at least reduce chances of 'that' sinking feeling when the nut won't do as its told...!

Thanks for your help,

Gav

·
Vendor
5,332 Posts
Actually, it is no longer stuck....but after the usual level of anxiety that ensues after trying to (unsuccessfully) remove the nut to fit a hugger (prior to going to the TT) I finally tracked down a friendly, local truck mechanic who rattled it off with a 1" drive beast of an impact wrench.....5 seconds to do something that I had been jumping on for weeks! Threads are perfect and reasonably well lubricated. Conical part of nut/wheel also lubricated...both with what smells like CV grease. No signs of damage or scoring on any surfaces.

Now, I have been reading various threads this evening and want to ask what grease/anti-seize others have used? I have read that the manual states only to lubricate the first few threads and NOT to lubricate the conical part of the nut or the wheel as the applied torque figure stated is calculated using minimal lubrication and liberal application will potentially increase residual load....hence the 'stuck nut syndrome'....! I was intending on using regular / all purpose moly grease but as I work for a bolting company, I also have access to a very low torque coefficient moly paste, though for this application I don't think there will be a huge benefit.

I don't fancy having to pound on my bike with a 1000 ft/lbs of torque every time I want to take the wheel off for OCD level cleaning so wanted to also see what others were doing to prevent or at least reduce chances of 'that' sinking feeling when the nut won't do as its told...!

Thanks for your help,

Gav

You have answered your own question in grease threads only with anti-sieze.Sorry,Noel replied as I was typing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. On closer inspection there is some evidence of scoring on the wheel side of the nut mating face so will clean that up and anti seize the threads only for assembly.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
I had to use the big 1" rattle gun on my SPR's nut....just the one time.
Since then it has been much simpler. I use Permatex Anti-Seize on just the first few threads.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I use on Carl's recco. a 4x torque converter...I usually get some help from my neighbour, not for added strength but just so he can see a real pro at work haha..Thanks Carl !

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
For me it is Nuclear Grade, Pure-Nickel Anti-Seize all the way....

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
You know, as a moderator, I can reinstate that.....oh, and read it! Great comment.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Reactions: cruiser

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ordered an Oberan one originally but wasn't a great fit so got sent back. Next ordered aluminium one from Germany but concerns about durability made me also order a stainless Speedy Moto one from the States. The latter is my goto tool, rock solid. You could fire it from a canon through a brick wall, pick it up, dust it down and carry on using it. It has very slightly marred the wheel side nut after multiple removals/re-torquing but that's probably my fault. The aluminium one is in my touring tool kit for emergency use.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts