MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been a while since i've been on here. My venerable Evo3 (2004) has been perched on her stand, patiently waiting for the past few years and i'm now wanting to get her taxed and insured for the summer....only problem is i can't get the fuel cap to open and she's out of gas!
Key goes in and turns but it doesn't give that distinctive 'click' to let you know the cap's unlatched.
Anyone got any ideas how i can open it (without taking the tank off and going from underneath....out of curiosity would that work?).
This has me stumped!
Thanks in advance.
:f4:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Donsy, been a while mate! Been off the site for years and happy to be back again.

I always push down on top to take pressure off.

Haven't tried anti-sieze. Will try tonight. Good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I don't think you can open it from the bottom. I'll look at a gas cap to be sure, but if I remember correctly there is no way to get to the latch from inside the tank.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you can open it from the bottom. I'll look at a gas cap to be sure, but if I remember correctly there is no way to get to the latch from inside the tank.
Meaning that if anti-sieze doesn't work i'm somewhat screwed....

Impatient to get home now....

Thanks CAG. Nice to see that some of the original faces are still on here.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
819 Posts
One should be able to release the cap from the inside. The latch lever is aon the opposite side of the cap as the hinge is. If one can get their hand up fast the fuel pump then all that should be required is to push back the latch/lever into the lock barrel/mechanism. If it doesn't push in by pinching with ones finger(s) try some WD-40 soaked on a Q-tip or cotton ball and dab around lever to release some of the fluid from the cotton matrix. Let it sit and try again. One may need to work the key into the full open position to allow for the lever to release....although i'm not certain if required.

Should that not work one may be able to gingerly remove the whole barrel assembly by removing the 2 screws from their base and simply allowing the barrel to come out by first going into the tank. Below is a link to the back side of a cap which shows what i am talking about.

EDIT: FYI, those screws are brass thus very malleable so one must be very careful to remove them. If they don't feel like they will cooperate and release(might have some loctite on the threads) then you may have to consider having to drill/cut out the heads of the screws in order to get the barrel to come free.
*****Might be a good idea to ask another member who has a gas cap in hand to see if they can confirm the 2 screws under the cap is the only thing holding the barrel in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-MV-Agusta-750-M4-Lock-Set-Ignition-Cap-Key-/380905395339?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58afbb148b&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm guessing that from sitting you probably got some "gumming" happening from what gas may have been around that cap that has it stuck. You might want to pour some hot water over the cap a few times and hopefully it may be enough to loosen it, can't really think of many safe ways to heat things up when they're potentially explosive :)

I had a friends Thruxton gas cap stick from that, what a pain to release.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks varium.

Very useful link. I know what i'm dealing with now (silly that i didn't think of that before).

One last question, does the alarm connect in anyway to the fuel cap?

I'm asking coz i had to strip the alarm from the bike (completely) last summer coz it kept going off and waking the neighbours. No amount of resetting solved it and i finally had enough and took it all off.

Do you think this could have something to do with it? Although i am more and more convinced now that the latch is stuck.

Tks again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you removed the alarm then there is nothing to do with the cap. Even if one didn't remove the alarm i seriously doubt its wired into the alarm. The main reason alarms go off for no reason is because of a failing battery. With a good charge on a batt. one might be able to reinstall the alarm. Thinking a bike sitting for a few years might have something to do with it. Yes, even if on a trickle charger a battery can reach the end of its useful life and inexplicably drain or not hold a charge. Years of sitting and wild temp. changes will do that to any battery.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again, varium.
Yes i have had it constantly on a tether and therefore assumed that the battery would be ok. Didn't even consider that the battery would still deteriorate and it had been sitting since mid 2008.
Anyway, what's done is done. Never really liked that alarm anyway and only used the bike for track days so i guess no harm done.
On way home mow to test out Donsy's suggestion of using a little anti-sieze. I'm very optimistic about it working.........

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Spray WD 40 on the key and put it in lock. Take it out do it again etc. Keep working it gently.
It was left for a couple of years now she is making you work hard to take her out again.
The bikes way of playing hard to get. ; )

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spray WD 40 on the key and put it in lock. Take it out do it again etc. Keep working it gently.
It was left for a couple of years now she is making you work hard to take her out again.
The bikes way of playing hard to get. ; )
:grin:
Something's are just worth the effort and waiting for......:mouthwate

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spray a bit of anti seize, NOT MUCH, down next to the key while operating the key. Also push down on the cap take the pressure off the latch.
GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR.....
exactly what the doctor (in this case Donsy) ordered!!
Couple of squirts of wd40 followed by a bit of jiggling around and hey presto!!
Cap open!! Happy days!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I realize I'm late to the game here, but could you have also removed the whole fuel cap (allen bolts around perimeter)?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I realize I'm late to the game here, but could you have also removed the whole fuel cap (allen bolts around perimeter)?
No, because one of the screws that attaches the cap to the tank is under it. (If you know what I mean) You have to open the gas cap to get at that one screw.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, because one of the screws that attaches the cap to the tank is under it. (If you know what I mean) You have to open the gas cap to get at that one screw.
Gotcha, thanks. Forgot about that one! I had changed my gas cap to one without a lock which of course no longer needed or has that screw.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotcha, thanks. Forgot about that one! I had changed my gas cap to one without a lock which of course no longer needed or has that screw.
I'll be doing the same thing. I only use it for track days and the very, very occasional road ride if the occasion calls for it so a keyless gas cap is the way to go.

Thanks for all the input guys. Nice to be back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts