MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stripped my oil filter plug trying to remove it & can't get it out...:banghead: Suggestions on how to remove it & where to get a new one?

Thx!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Holy Shit :jsm: that's no good

I'm thinking your day has just began.

This is going to be an experience. You'll have to tap your engine case with a lager diameter plug and then somehow get the filings out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wait...just the plug is stripped, right? Try one of these (can find at Sear or equivalent):

Or Dremmel a slot into the drain plug and use a BFS (big freakin screwdriver) to loosen it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
OH Shit ! I read that post all wrong :banghead:

Ya !! holy hell, don't listen to me. I thought you stripped the case by maybe turning it the wrong way. If all you did was strip the bolt head, grab a pair of vise grips and give that a try. Use a propane torch to heat the engine case (NOT THE BOLT) DO NOT use any other heat source ! Acetylene and Oxygen will get way too hot.

And then get a hold of Carl for another oil plug or one of the other site sponsors

Wow... sorry man

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This is going to be a pain! I had just drained the oil, changed the filter & what should've bene the easy part, removing the oil filler plug, became my nightmare.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is it the filler plug that is just a hex wrench type where you put the oil in to refill you are talking about?

If so, just go get a big easy out drill bit and I think that should catch it nicely and back it right out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's the 3/8" hex filler plug where oil is added. Easy out drill bit...great idea. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You can also drift it loose with a punch. You can drill a shallow hole near the edge for a spot to get traction at.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait...just the plug is stripped, right? Try one of these (can find at Sear or equivalent):

Or Dremmel a slot into the drain plug and use a BFS (big freakin screwdriver) to loosen it.

Good luck!
VolteS, what is this a picture of?
Thx for the reply!
G

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The oil filler plug ???

Now I've been off twice :wtf: I should just go to bed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem cooper. Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
filler plug stripped?

Geerod;
you said it was a 3/8" plug.....it not 3/8", its 10mm, you must use the correct tool for the job:wtf:

across the points a 3/8" Allen wrench measures 0.430"
a 10mm measures 0.450"

thats why you stripped it....

go to a machinist's supply or a real good hardware store and buy the largest EasyOut that will fit in the hole....

do NOT try the left handed drills, because they'll break through and dump chips into the motor:banghead:

put the EasyOut in the filler plug and give a good whack with a brass hammer.....then unscrew it.... never put side load on an EasyOut, they break and the only way to get them out is with carbide or diamond burrs or EDM :jsm::jsm:

CAG will have a replacement! :drummer:

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
FWIW, you should always remove the filler plug before draining, to assist in evacuating as much oil as possible.

Also, even though I think they *look* better it's always bothered me that MV changed the filler plug to alloy with the BMF 10mm socket--Typically, the larger the fastener type, the more torque you apply--However, even using a standard 10mm allen to tighten this plug makes it way to easy to over tighten.
Bad design; I prefer just the old plastic plug with finger handle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oil Plug

if vice grips dont work try a small pipe wrench. use a tool that has a round jaw rather then a straight jaw you will get a better bite. you will get it , no problemo :drummer: :smoking: :cry: grasshopper

·
Registered
241 Posts
VolteS, what is this a picture of?
Thx for the reply!
G
Oops. Ha...I forgot the plug was a smaller hex size and was thinking it was like the size of a car's drain plug! That screwdriver suggestion prob didn't make much sense then. D U H :smoking:

That's a pic of a socket to remove rounded bolts. The compliment to the E-Z-out.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Geerod;
you said it was a 3/8" plug.....it not 3/8", its 10mm, you must use the correct tool for the job:wtf:
ALL the fasteners are METRIC--Throw you "standard" tools in the trash, or at least keep them away from your MV.:stickpoke

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Geerod;

across the points a 3/8" Allen wrench measures 0.430"
a 10mm measures 0.450"

thats why you stripped it....

go to a machinist's supply or a real good hardware store and buy the largest EasyOut that will fit in the hole....

do NOT try the left handed drills, because they'll break through and dump chips into the motor:banghead:

put the EasyOut in the filler plug and give a good whack with a brass hammer.....then unscrew it.... never put side load on an EasyOut, they break and the only way to get them out is with carbide or diamond burrs or EDM :jsm::jsm:

CAG will have a replacement! :drummer:

:f4::brutale:
I agree with Noel....if you intend to drill through it you would be advised to remove the engine casing from the bike first because if you end up with 'chips' from the damaged filler plug dropping into the motor you'll have to remove the casing anyway to collect them...and you cannot be sure you'll get them all. Definately EasyOut or a good center punch used as drift against a small 'punched' hole to get a little 'purchase' would be my first option...if no success then REMOVE the engine casing and use the left handed drill/remover. AND as Noel says use the correct 10mm tool for the job when you have a new replacement. Hope all goes well Cheers Brian... PS, as has already been said every thing on this bike is metric so if you are going to do 'any' work on it, best get a 'new' kit of tools.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Uh

if vice grips dont work try a small pipe wrench. use a tool that has a round jaw rather then a straight jaw you will get a better bite. you will get it , no problemo :drummer: :smoking: :cry: grasshopper
FILLER PLUG mate ! ?:stickpoke I would love to see you get a pipe wrench on there.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
What Noel and BG said, use a pin punch and try and remove it by gently tapping around the outside edge in a anti-clockwise direction to unscrew it. If that fails, remove the cover and then you have all the options. You don't have to get a new gasket to replace it if you damage the gasket, just get a good gasket maker/sealer and of you go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts