MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got motivated. Didn't take too long, just this morning, was done around noon. I'm afraid it's going to take a lot longer to reassemble. :)

I might weigh a few of the items for fun. It might be nice to build a table of the weights of various items. The swingarm is heavy. I was surprised by the frame plates, they look massive on the bike but actually pretty small and relatively light on their own.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Go the red frame, you have mentioned this being your desire in a few posts!

Would be interested in your notes on the strip down, problems encountered? what you would do differently next time? things to be careful of?

And the weight is agreat idea, medal to you! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey, you're not quite finished :cussing:

I can still see the eccentric Bush in the headstock. :argue:

If repainting, are the original frame decals available?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steptoe said:
Hey, you're not quite finished :cussing:

I can still see the eccentric Bush in the headstock. :argue:

If repainting, are the original frame decals available?
Yep, not quite finished yet...

I'll try and remove the decals with heat. My biggest concern is covering the VIN. I might try and find a thing magnetic material that I could use to cover the VIN. Then I could have that material painted/coated to match the frame yet you could peal it off easy enough to see the number below.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say around 6 hours. Not too bad. I didn't have a manual and hadn't done it before, so if you knew what you're doing and had the right tools I'm sure it could be done in a lot less time. Besides I was going slow and taking a few pictures so I have some idea of how it goes back together. :)

I was glad I got the forks out since I don't have the special tool for the top nut.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
MV-999R said:
Oh man, you're crazy!! :stickpoke

What more will you be doing besides the red frame?
Lots of cleaning and checking things out. Replacing a few things, powder coat, paint, polishing, some carbon, safety wiring... Lots to do.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Gladio said:
Lots of cleaning and checking things out. Replacing a few things, powder coat, paint, polishing, some carbon, safety wiring... Lots to do.
Yeah, i bet there's lot to do.
Powercoating the wheels, too? I like black wheels

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah, the thickness of the powdercoat is a concern around the VIN. Maybe you can ask the coater what they recommend as a masking agent to leave a neat window, so the powder won't lift around where you expose the frame.

Have you got decals to go back on the frame?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gladio said:
I'd say around 6 hours. Not too bad. I didn't have a manual and hadn't done it before, so if you knew what you're doing and had the right tools I'm sure it could be done in a lot less time. Besides I was going slow and taking a few pictures so I have some idea of how it goes back together. :)

I was glad I got the forks out since I don't have the special tool for the top nut.

6 hours! ....damn you are fast! you are starting to get me thinking about getting my frame powdercoated

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Me too....I love that red frame!!

What about warranty? Still valid...? Has anyone asked...?

Gladio, you have started a red frame revolution!

You could indulge us by writing a new thread with your breakdown/assembly photos! :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
agusta01 said:
You could indulge us by writing a new thread with your breakdown/assembly photos! :)
I'll see what I can add other than, if you see a bolt, take it out. :) Unfortunately I didn't get any really good photos. they were more of the sort, take a pic so you can see where wires and things go. :loser:

I spent some time dissassembling the swingarm and cleaning it up tonight. It's amazing what some good degreaser can do. :toothless

1 - 20 of 32 Posts