MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. I tried to do a proper introduction but struggled to post it. well im trying now again. I bought my MV Agusta F3 with 580km on the clock on the 1st of June.

I have noticed since Tuesday (03/06) that the bike is making a strange noise when stationary. when in the garage and switched off (sleeping), it would tend to make a sound that can be described as "a screeching brake noise when stopping". it makes this sound in intervals of 5 minutes. I assume its an warning sound? its faint but clearly notable in an quiet area.

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,536 Posts
I once had this happen to my F4, I don't own an F3.
The source of the noise on my bike was a tiny pinhole in the battery. The noise was pressure releasing from the hot battery causing a whistling sound.
I'm not suggesting that this is the case with your F3 but if the sound is emanating from around the area where the battery is located - that is where I'd start.
To resolve the issue on my battery I got out a grinder and ground back the offending part that was, over time, penetrating the battery (the sharp end of a spring that is located above the battery) and got a soldering iron out and plastic welded the hole in the battery.

As I said - this is unique to the F4 and most likely not what you are hearing. Can you isolate the area where the sound is coming from?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try opening the gas cap and leaving it open for an expected interval and see if it still makes the noise. If it makes no sound, you have relieved pressure and can assume it's a breather for the tank.

I always thought it sounded like a kooing or a sighing...

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
strange noise?

its the venting system in the stock fuel cap.....

there is a tiny check valve and rubber flap assembly in there.....

my Brutale did it until i changed the cap
my F4 didn't have a stock cap when i got it
my Aprilia did it, until i modified the cap
:drummer:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. I tried to do a proper introduction but struggled to post it. well im trying now again. I bought my MV Agusta F3 with 580km on the clock on the 1st of June.

I have noticed since Tuesday (03/06) that the bike is making a strange noise when stationary. when in the garage and switched off (sleeping), it would tend to make a sound that can be described as "a screeching brake noise when stopping". it makes this sound in intervals of 5 minutes. I assume its an warning sound? its faint but clearly notable in an quiet area.

any ideas?
Hi, it was already discussed here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48148&highlight=baby

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Quite common on a lot of bikes.

I remember when we had a ninja 250 in the gararge that would do this but it sounded like a cat meow. The first time I heard it, I looked everywhere for a cat thinking the neighborhood cat had wandered in and crawled into the car or something. Eventually, I discovered it was the bike. Funny story: about a week after we sold the bike, I heard another meow in the garage. This confused the hell out of me because we had just sold that bike. I turned around to see the neighboorhood cat staring at me. ...like it knew and was doing it just to fuck with my head.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quite common on a lot of bikes.

I remember when we had a ninja 250 in the gararge that would do this but it sounded like a cat meow. The first time I heard it, I looked everywhere for a cat thinking the neighborhood cat had wandered in and crawled into the car or something. Eventually, I discovered it was the bike. Funny story: about a week after we sold the bike, I heard another meow in the garage. This confused the hell out of me because we had just sold that bike. I turned around to see the neighboorhood cat staring at me. ...like it knew and was doing it just to fuck with my head.
LM FAO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi yep its the fuel cap.. at first I thought the bike was asking me to go ride again.. haha. if it was black I would have named it Kid.

this is my second bike. my first bike was a customized Cleveland bobber which I only had for 7 months. it was a one of a kind and drew a lot of attention. since then I decided to ride bikes that not of the ordinary. I now have the white F3 and ppl would now just stand around my bike each day and stare at it when on smoke breaks.

I'm from south Africa and you don't really see MV's in this area of the world. I'm doing this introduction ass backwards is see.

By the way, my name is Johan

·
Registered
2015 F3 800
3 Posts
Hi yep its the fuel cap.. at first I thought the bike was asking me to go ride again.. haha. if it was black I would have named it Kid.

this is my second bike. my first bike was a customized Cleveland bobber which I only had for 7 months. it was a one of a kind and drew a lot of attention. since then I decided to ride bikes that not of the ordinary. I now have the white F3 and ppl would now just stand around my bike each day and stare at it when on smoke breaks.

I'm from south Africa and you don't really see MV's in this area of the world. I'm doing this introduction ass backwards is see.

By the way, my name is Johan
Dankie buddie,

I noticed the same thing on my 2015 F3 today. At first I thought it was a depressed cat somewhere in the vicinity. This forum is the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts