MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

Took a run up to Cairns for the Anzac weekend. Hit rain at Innisfail that lasted all the way through the Tablelands and back down to Cairns. Sorry to those not familiar to the area but it's motorcycling heaven here in Nth. Queensland.

Anyway, coming down the Gillies Hwy in pissing rain My 1078 developed a miss down low especially on a trailing throttle. Dangerous, as when I gave it a bit more throttle she'd kick in with a bang. Doubly so as a mates Ducati (multistrada) in front was losing oil from a loose union on his oil cooler. A few blokes mentioned the 'diesel' stains that we seemed to be constantly following. Caused a few moments for some following. He was lucky as his bike and tyres were covered in oil. Luckily there was still a bit of oil showing in his sight glass when we reached the hotel.

Anyway, the next morning the miss was still there. Give it a rev and it cut in on all four. The weather had cleared so the Tablelands was on again. No fun on three cylinders on those roads so I headed home to Townsville (350km) hoping it'd get me there. Left Cairns running like a hairy goat and stopping, slowing etc. through towns and endless roadworks was a pain.

However the further I got the more it improved. After about 200km it was almost normal. Hard one to convey this one. Felt 'rough' while still running on all four at speed. Like it was struggling slightly. Only way I can explain it. Still felt a slight 'miss', roughness down low as I road through town when I got home.

First thought I'd dropped a plug but fine at higher speeds. Then thought maybe it was bad fuel as it improved after a fill in Cairns going home. Fuel filter, injectors? Got home and pulled the plugs. All look o.k. but the far right one looking from the rear of the bike looked slighly 'wet' compared to the others.

Now I'm thinking coil. I'll get them checked somewhere hopefully. I'll pull the fuel pump and replace the filter. Plugs are only new (2000km) but I'll change them too.

Any thoughts? I run a Microtech ecu.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
652 Posts
Deano - extremely similar symptoms as my bike is experiencing - took mine into the shop today - mine was intermittent at low revs after some distance, coming good above 4.5k. Problem seemed to disappear a couple of days ago then reappeared last Thursday and stayed there constantly through rev range. Seems to be running 3 of 4 cylinders.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Renaissance,

Souds very similar. Like to hear the result when you get one.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
24,103 Posts
Interesting..had you both experienced rain before the "miss" developed?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Renaissance,

A few days before this run it played up in the morning going to work (no rain). Brought it back and took the car. That evening I changed the map in the Microtec as it felt like fuel and was fine after that.

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
24,103 Posts
Rules out moisture...maybe.

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Sounds like a coil.Swap coil with another cylinder,take it for a run and check plugs to see which plug is wet,that will prove if it is a faulty coil or not.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sounds like a coil.Swap coil with another cylinder,take it for a run and check plugs to see which plug is wet,that will prove if it is a faulty coil or not.

Mitchy

That's my current thinking. The symptoms not showing (initially at least) until the bike was well and truly warmed up, sporadic occurrence (until recently) really sounds like an electronic component.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks boys,

I'm thinking coil too. One on order. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Deano

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Mitchy

That's my current thinking. The symptoms not showing (initially at least) until the bike was well and truly warmed up, sporadic occurrence (until recently) really sounds like an electronic component.

Hopefully,your problem Steve is as simple as a faulty coil.Let us know.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks boys,

I'm thinking coil too. One on order. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Deano

Hi Deano

How are you fairing with your repair?

Mine is still in the shop awaiting repair - I believe there us some negotiations going on regarding goodwill replacement of two coils given their early demise (just after warranty elapsed)

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
When I had similar problems it always was a sparkplug. The signs were similar; working fine above 5000 revs and faulty under. With the iridium ones I never had it again.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Deano

Mine is still in the shop awaiting repair - I believe there us some negotiations going on regarding goodwill replacement of two coils given their early demise (just after warranty elapsed)

Waiting on a coil. Will let you know.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Deano

Coil arrived and replaced. All good now.:)

Cheers

Deano

1 - 17 of 17 Posts