MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im aware that the exhaust subject has been mentioned on this site probably as much as our overheating problems. but my question is, Is having straight pipes be too loud, sound horrible, loss of power. what would be the pro and cons of having straight pipes. im currently planing on getting grade 2 titanium piping :yo:and have local company duplicate the stock exhaust(without Cat of course). if i do decide to do this it will also be with new air filter(please suggest a brand), Iridium spark plugs and a power commander. i would love a microtech but getting a tuner that would know what they are doing around my area(Massachusetts) i think would be pretty hard. plus the power commander is pocket friendly and available in the US :naughty:. all im looking for is a very smooth power curve and to be heard in the freeway along with the loud Harley guys. btw i was crusing in the fast lane doing about 85MPH and i get this harley dude scare the crap out of me with his thundering exhaust wanting to race me :blah:. i have an 05 F4 1000s. i never heard the Bodis system in real life and i dont think i ever will unless i buy 1, there are probably less than 20 MVs in the state of MA so from another bike that would have it installed is also finding a needle in a haystack. suggestions/opinions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
By straight pipes I assume you mean a pipe with no muffler. Just a tube from the port to the end. The pros are that they will make more power in the higher rpm range. As to where is determined by the length. The cons are that they will lose power in the low to mid range. Along with being totally obnoxious sound wise.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Well Mike a straight pipe is just that by popular definition. I know it and you know it but others may be calling a straight through exhaust system such as the Corse or Termi a straight pipe. In which case it would be an excellent choose.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Ok im aware that the exhaust subject has been mentioned on this site probably as much as our overheating problems. but my question is, Is having straight pipes be too loud, sound horrible, loss of power. what would be the pro and cons of having straight pipes. im currently planing on getting grade 2 titanium piping :yo:and have local company duplicate the stock exhaust(without Cat of course). if i do decide to do this it will also be with new air filter(please suggest a brand), Iridium spark plugs and a power commander. i would love a microtech but getting a tuner that would know what they are doing around my area(Massachusetts) i think would be pretty hard. plus the power commander is pocket friendly and available in the US :naughty:. all im looking for is a very smooth power curve and to be heard in the freeway along with the loud Harley guys. btw i was crusing in the fast lane doing about 85MPH and i get this harley dude scare the crap out of me with his thundering exhaust wanting to race me :blah:. i have an 05 F4 1000s. i never heard the Bodis system in real life and i dont think i ever will unless i buy 1, there are probably less than 20 MVs in the state of MA so from another bike that would have it installed is also finding a needle in a haystack. suggestions/opinions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced.
Mr Kreativ..I thinks you really want a Harley..; ) .I've been to Mass and I've seen them out there in groups..slow and noisy actually slowing the cars down....
Your MV is special..It doesn't need to make noise like a tractor..It's a high performance missile...Anybody who knows bikes will know this..You don't need to make it sound like something plowing in potatoes in Idaho ..:stickpoke

but then It's a free world and you are a free spirit..enjoy : )
joe

·
Registered
874 Posts
Mr Kreativ..I thinks you really want a Harley..; ) .I've been to Mass and I've seen them out there in groups..slow and noisy actually slowing the cars down....
Your MV is special..It doesn't need to make noise like a tractor..It's a high performance missile...Anybody who knows bikes will know this..You don't need to make it sound like something plowing in potatoes in Idaho ..:stickpoke

joe
Just in case you want to plow the fields http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hV_Ypf8RIs

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Kreativ,

Just buy a cat-less mid pipe, and get Arrow twin can mufflers. Awesome sound and looks. Check my gallery for pics.

Im also in mass but have sold the F4 and now have a Brutale, so I cant help out with you actuall hearing it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

joe
Nope no Harley for me, thats just not my style. but much respect to those guys. and the reason for me to be loud is pretty much a safety issue. if you have been here you would know drivers dont have any consideration for riders.

By straight pipes I assume you mean a pipe with no muffler. Just a tube from the port to the end. The pros are that they will make more power in the higher rpm range. As to where is determined by the length. The cons are that they will lose power in the low to mid range. Along with being totally obnoxious sound wise.
Yes straight pipes mean no muffler. from the headers straight all the way into under the seat keeping the 4 pipe look. but i was thinking instead of a 4-2-1 back 2-4, more of a 4-2-4 with smaller diameter pipe at the {2} section for some back pressure. :ahhh: i think ill just go with a bodis system or a moto corse. i would rather have more power from lower to mid than at high rev. or if you can suggest another exhaust system or combination plese do. just keep in mind the louder the better. i have to beep my horn to be noticed just so cars dont run me over in the freeway:cussing:.

Kreativ,

Just buy a cat-less mid pipe, and get Arrow twin can mufflers. Awesome sound and looks. Check my gallery for pics.

Im also in mass but have sold the F4 and now have a Brutale, so I cant help out with you actuall hearing it.
i cant do the twin can mufflers, the quad is what really made me fall in love with this bike, i just love that rear end :mouthwate. Also cat-less mid pipe is definitly a must.

thanks everyone for the replies, i didnt get an air filter suggestion but keep the replies coming. also if anyone may have any cat-less TI mid pipe and or TI slip on, that you would like to get rid of please let me know.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Nope no Harley for me, thats just not my style. but much respect to those guys. and the reason for me to be loud is pretty much a safety issue. if you have been here you would know drivers dont have any consideration for riders.

Yes straight pipes mean no muffler. from the headers straight all the way into under the seat keeping the 4 pipe look. but i was thinking instead of a 4-2-1 back 2-4, more of a 4-2-4 with smaller diameter pipe at the {2} section for some back pressure. :ahhh: i think ill just go with a bodis system or a moto corse. i would rather have more power from lower to mid than at high rev. or if you can suggest another exhaust system or combination plese do. just keep in mind the louder the better. i have to beep my horn to be noticed just so cars dont run me over in the freeway:cussing:.

i cant do the twin can mufflers, the quad is what really made me fall in love with this bike, i just love that rear end :mouthwate. Also cat-less mid pipe is definitly a must.

thanks everyone for the replies, i didnt get an air filter suggestion but keep the replies coming. also if anyone may have any cat-less TI mid pipe and or TI slip on, that you would like to get rid of please let me know.
Yeah, only having a giggle..but you are right Boston area is interesting..I know that they only just outlawed texting while driving..scareeee ! I have walked and crossed a few roads out there and it is very dangerous for a pedestrian. Strangely as soon as you are on neighbourhood residential roads drivers transform into saints and will stop as soon as they see you intending to cross..Out on the main roads I have seen drivers overtake a vehicle stopped at the cross walk and force me to jump back to the sidewalk...:jerkoff:

But, believe me Uk drivers are no saints either..tailgating is my biggest gripe in UK.

Getting back to Exhausts my F4 has the pan pipes and I'm thinking of going two pipes a side in F3 fashion using the passenger foot peg hangers as mounts for the silencers..Then with a monoposto seat unit. :mouthwate

atb joe

ps you have pot holes like the ferkin Grand Canyon too !

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, only having a giggle..but you are right Boston area is interesting..I know that they only just outlawed texting while driving..scareeee ! I have walked and crossed a few roads out there and it is very dangerous for a pedestrian. Strangely as soon as you are on neighbourhood residential roads drivers transform into saints and will stop as soon as they see you intending to cross..Out on the main roads I have seen drivers overtake a vehicle stopped at the cross walk and force me to jump back to the sidewalk...:jerkoff:

But, believe me Uk drivers are no saints either..tailgating is my biggest gripe in UK.

Getting back to Exhausts my F4 has the pan pipes and I'm thinking of going two pipes a side in F3 fashion using the passenger foot peg hangers as mounts for the silencers..Then with a monoposto seat unit. :mouthwate

atb joe

ps you have pot holes like the ferkin Grand Canyon too !
oh lets not even talk about the pot holes here, i also say grand canyon!:laughing:
my wife hit one on the freeway, tire went to shreads. good thing nothing happened to her. by the way you picture is at the beverly MV dealer correct?. nice idea for your exhaust. please post pics as soon as you get that done.

ok so another quick question, how good is the power commander, i hear from ppl i know that its a piggy back for the fuel and bike never runs right. that the best way to go is microtech. please advise on the most reliable system

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
oh lets not even talk about the pot holes here, i also say grand canyon!:laughing:
my wife hit one on the freeway, tire went to shreads. good thing nothing happened to her. by the way you picture is at the beverly MV dealer correct?. nice idea for your exhaust. please post pics as soon as you get that done.

ok so another quick question, how good is the power commander, i hear from ppl i know that its a piggy back for the fuel and bike never runs right. that the best way to go is microtech. please advise on the most reliable system
Yes, that picture was taken outside Eastern Cycles, Beverly..well spotted !
I just met up with Henry my engineer matey ( used to work for Jordan Racing )...and although the four into two into four will be for my project MV..he's going to measure up from my F4 1000R 312 as will be same.
So I can get that project started very soon. :naughty:

I have a straight through mid section spare..so am off to a good start.

Just look what you started all cuz a Harley buzzed you on the freeway !

As far as tuning for the exhaust is concerned the expert will be Chris at X Bikes who is a forum sponsor..so have a chat with him..

atb

joe

ps go sox go ; ) :popcorn:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
For my money I believe a separate pipe for each cylinder is the best option as it eliminates all the pipe to pipe insanity that goes on in a 2-1 , 4-2-4, or 4-2-1-2-4. Allows one to treat and tune each cylinder individually without sonic/pressure wave interference form other cylinders.

If I could figure a way to run four pipes on an mv and have it look half decent I'd have done it in a flash. Ditto two on my duc.

Tract length determines the rpm band for maxium scavenging and pipe ID determines the gas velocity through the pipe. You start from there and make alot of pipes until you get it right. Trust me------

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Well, well....I guess I should chime in here. I never have recommended a Power Commander because it reminds me of adding a gadget to fix a problem that can be fixed without adding a gadget.
I, too, am in the Massachusetts area, have two MVs in the garage and I have been helped immensely at various times by Steve and Gido and Paul at Eastern Cycle in Beverly. Eastern Cycle is mostly MV now and just a shell of its former self, but the guys from there are now over at Cycles 128.

Back on topic: put whatever exhayst and air filter combo you want on the thing. Don't put a Power Commander on it. Then call Rob's Dyno in Gardner, yes, Massachusetts...and have him tune it for you. He just did my 312R.

Results:

Before 312R Dyno Run.jpg

After 312R afterBIG.jpg

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Jeez SS703, don't keep me in limbo!

I'm getting my 312R (slightly used) next week, after someone liberated me from my beloved 1078RR almost two weeks ago, so I'm curious to know what your graphs mean.

What ECU (and exhaust; must make a difference) did you use? I'm getting (as I'm wont to) the RG3's and the MV Race ECU, always served me well.

I see (correct me if I'm wrong) a reasonably smooth torque curve and a not so smooth RWHP curve. It's RWHP, innit?

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
The inverse is what you see. The torque curve peaks at around 11000 rpm at 72.61 ft-lbs and RWHP peaks at around 12,500 at 157.22

The bike is perfectly stock.

What is truly different is the Air/Fuel mixture ratio and the way the power comes on. The A/F ratio is about 13.5:1 across the board.

I have not yet thrashed this bike since the tuning, but I did take a 150 nile ride and the bike runs very much cooler...10-15 degrees Fahrenheit and it suprised me by having the front end lift at a moderately aggressive throttle opening. I had accelerated like that before, but never lifted the front.

There was better than a 7 HP gain, pretty much across the range and a peak torque gain of 5 or so ft-lbs.

It's the A/F ratio that is key.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts