MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

want to trade in my vfr800f and get a stradale 800, but some of these stories about regular failures under 10k miles have me concerned. before the viffer, i had a tuono that kept having stator issues, and i decided i wasn't fond of being stranded -- or having my bike up on the chocks for weeks while i wait for italy to send parts.

anyone have a stradale 800 and gone more than 10k miles WITHOUT issues?

thanks for any input! it's a hella gorgeous bike.

·
Administrator
20,754 Posts
Welcome to the family Quasi......

You should realize, of course, that only people with complaints post on Internet forums....the vast majority of owners never have the random problems you may read about.
This is true of virtually any brand/bike you want to investigate.

The 3 cylinder MV with its new Eldor ECU had its share of teething problems (to be expected from such a small low volume company), but it's been a few years now and I think they have the kinks pretty well sorted.

All the manufacturers have their heads in the sand and refuse to admit they build junk.

·
Registered
495 Posts
....You should realize, of course, that only people with complaints post on Internet forums....the vast majority of owners never have the random problems you may read about.
Yep :) random problems.

Some of us use the bike for transportation!
Hence the spurious random problem pops up at random intervalls.

Sheer bad luck.

Complaining about it or warning others about such trifle is crybaby waste of bandwith.

Trailer the thing.
Get the wrench.
Move on.

Calling warranty for such little random thingies :stickpoke like a randomly dead sprag clutch or randomly leaky radiator or randomly replaced cylinderhead or randomly warped brake rotors, or :naughty::naughty::naughty:...

Qvatsh.

WE :wtf: ARE THE 1%

anyone have a stradale 800 and gone more than 10k miles WITHOUT issues?
Hey Man wait
this bike is only 3 month old!
Got only 5000 miles on the clock.

Fairly impressive work-it-all machine.
Back to you :) soon.

Don't ask, don't tell :thewife: one of my exes was a VFR

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
The Stradale is a Rivale with a few non-technical differences. Most of the technology of the Stradale is very similar to the Brutale 800, and to a lesser extent, the F3-800. The Brutale 800 has been around longer than the Rivale or Stradale, so I would suggest looking to B-800 riders to find higher mileage bikes.

Regardless, I agree with Ed. For every story of disappointment posted on the Internet, there are 10 success stories that never get posted.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Technical; POW from the top of Lookout Mountain or the shores of Varese lake

The Stradale is a Rivale with a few non-technical differences....
Non-technical :wtf: differences:
hydraulic clutch, swingarm, rake, frame, length, height, shocks travel, exhaust, engine mappings...

Some of the teething pains of the B3 800 Trepistoni have been addressed.
Some cured with the Stradale.

Also filtering in traffic :angel: is easy 'cause the soft bags are ... soft.

Another difference with the Rivale
you won't be clinking mirrors with the cages on a Stradale.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
OK. A few technical differences. But swing arm, rake, frame, length, height, mirrors, shock travel and exhaust are likely not relevant to the OP's query about reliability beyond 10K miles. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Lurking random cosmetic failure

...likely not relevant to the OP's query about reliability beyond 10K miles. :)
Wondering :ahhh:
The longer swingarm might bust reliability before 10Kmi.
More stress over bumps!

Hasn't happened yet.

But such a random failure :blah: would be just that
random.

quasigentrified should be made aware of this potentially harmful difference with a true and tried short-arm Rivale or Brutale.

Barely 6000 only yet :drummer: but I'm watching that swingarm.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Wondering :ahhh:
The longer swingarm might bust reliability before 10Kmi.
More stress over bumps!

Hasn't happened yet.

But such a random failure :blah: would be just that
random.

quasigentrified should be made aware of this potentially harmful difference with a true and tried short-arm Rivale or Brutale.

Barely 6000 only yet :drummer: but I'm watching that swingarm.
One of many reasons the OP should get a Rivale instead. :naughty:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just hit 5,000 miles on my Rivale, 2,600 on the second engine. The engine was the 4th warranty issue they resolved. But hey, I did get the larger tank so now I can go further than 70 miles before the fuel light comes on.

The last 2,600 miles have been flawless, and the bike is a joy to ride. Just don't go into this thinking you'll get Japanese reliability out of the bike.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
New guy here and more than likely a new Stradale owner in the very near future. This thread basically tells me there aren't any real issues with this bike, correct? I've read every review I could find and issues were minimal and seemed to be there just so they didn't seem like they only had good things to say about it.

Most concur with that, ja?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How many miles do you average on a tank of gas and when is the first service? Hopefully they don't restrict it like BMW did with my S1KRR; although I'm sure most people wouldn't consider "only" 165 HP being much of a restriction..

·
Registered
495 Posts
It does around 45 mpg...
7500 mi Stradale
Average since day one about 5 month ago
43mpg (British) or 36mpg (US)

Rain mode around 10% of the time
Normal -fuel efficient best- 80%
Sport or Custom mode 10%

About 120mi avg to the fuel light
150mi; only fumes left in tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's reasonable enough; can your butt tolerate much more than 120 miles at once or is it time to stand up and stretch whether or not you need gas?
What about the first maintenance? Is it fairly standard (oil change, inspect and adjust as necessary, update any software that needs it, etc.)?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Collada de Toses ... Herbst fun fun fun

That's reasonable enough; can your butt tolerate much more than 120 miles at once....
Yup :violin:

Last trip two weeks ago give or take about 600 mi mixed roads.
Barely a 10hrs ride, 2hrs fuel&Rest

On a Brutale it was faster.

Leisurely on the Stradale, plenty of fun.
On the original seat few month ago, 'twas effectively a PIA.
Changed the seat to a Rivale standard seat lifted at the stea^H^H^HDealer.

Now everything's awright :)

What about the first maintenance? Is it fairly standard (oil change, inspect and adjust as necessary, update any software that needs it, etc.)?
SW update done.

1st Maintenance done about 100 teueroes. Standard it is, like listed in the book.

Change of tire, LiIon battery, done. Metz Z8 rules.

Next maintenance, sort of late,
next week :drummer:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool, all that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I have my BMW for when I want extreme speed with a good dose of not much comfort..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Need for SPEED

...I have my BMW for when I want extreme speed ...
T'was here having fun carving the twisties.
Had a nice old couple following me on a Gummikuh.

Wouldn't swear, but I'm almost sure they had a bifocal windshield.

-"Can't go on like that :wtf:
much too fast!
We are here to enjoy the scenery not to become part of it..." (sic)

Speed sometimes is relative.

And the Stradale is GREAT :drummer:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts